Thread: Stainless steel coatings....

Stainless steel coatings....

I got a free peice of stainless steel resturant grade from a job we did. I was going to make it into a counter top for my bar. My question to you guys is do you know of a coating that you could put on the stainless so it won't show fingerprints and so on. I bought a stainless steel refigerater about a month ago and the stainless has some coating on it. You guys always know everything so i thought i would ask you guys. Thanks

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Goldsmith
    I got a free peice of stainless steel resturant grade from a job we did. I was going to make it into a counter top for my bar. My question to you guys is do you know of a coating that you could put on the stainless so it won't show fingerprints and so on. I bought a stainless steel refigerater about a month ago and the stainless has some coating on it. You guys always know everything so i thought i would ask you guys. Thanks

Josh
    Your fridge has a coating that prevents fingerprints? What brand? I've got a stainless steel equpped kitchen which gets a going over every so often with mineral oil to keep it all looking decent.

Blog Entries
    To clean your stainless spray windex on it and then wipe it down with a crumpled up newspaper.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My refridge is a Samsung Stainless. I bought it at costco. It has a matte finish that doesn't show anything. So you have to wipe down all your stainless with mineral oil. How often?

Hey Lee why do you use crumpled newspaper?

The absolutely best thing we have found to minimize fingerprints on our stainless steel appliances is...really...a thin coating of mineral oil. We reapply every couple months...about the same time we oil the soapstone, so the same rag does the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So you just wipe a thin coat of mineral oil and your good for a couple months. No finger prints? So does the oil stay on top or does it absorb into the stainless. Since i am going to be using it as a counter top it is going to be getting alot of use. Does the mineral oil leave the counter top all oily? Thanks for the advice

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Goldsmith
    So you just wipe a thin coat of mineral oil and your good for a couple months. No finger prints? So does the oil stay on top or does it absorb into the stainless. Since i am going to be using it as a counter top it is going to be getting alot of use. Does the mineral oil leave the counter top all oily? Thanks for the advice

Josh
    Stainless does NOT absorb oil...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The absolutely best thing we have found to minimize fingerprints on our stainless steel appliances is...really...a thin coating of mineral oil.
    Huh...well, that explains the cleaner that came with my stainless barbeque: "Contains: water, mineral oil, food-grade emulsifier."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We use a product called Stainless Steel Magic (Professional Strength). It was recommended by our chef nephew. It cleans/polishes/and coats to keep off fingerprints, water, etc. It really is magic!

We get it at Linens 'n Things...$7.00 for 32 FL OZ. Made by Magic American Corp Cleveland Ohio.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan