Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tormek vs Scheppach Sharpening Systems

Try google and you'll find two head-to-heads with the Jet. Woodnet has several informal comps too

http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...ekcomparo.html

[QUOTE]
    Really? 3 different grits? I was under the asumption that the stone provided changed the grits when you dress it.
    Gary

Also, here's some information from this person, who purchased a Jet, then returned it to get a Tormek, due to alignment issues with the guide bar and other build quality issues.

http://www.yucholian.com/woodwk/jet_sharpener.htm
    http://www.yucholian.com/woodwk/tormek.htm

BTW, I think the three stones issue is referring to the current offer from Tormek to supply you with replacement stones, up to three, as you use them up.

Even cheaper!

Scheppach: $119

Jet: $167

If you already purchased, make sure to get a refund with your 30 day price guarantee.

(I wonder if Mr. Bezos is trying to punish Tormek?)

[quote=Gary Keedwell;697971]
    Really? 3 different grits? I was under the asumption that the stone provided changed the grits when you dress it.
    Gary
    It must have been a dream I had. I got it wrong. When the new Tormek had come out I thought that is what I had read. My bad. sorry.

Ok Eric, go to your room until you can learn to stop that!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

work sharp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Ok Eric, go to your room until you can learn to stop that!!
    Hi. I'm new to this sharpening business so I'll admit my ignorance right up front. Amazon has a 'work sharp 3000' on sale for $160. As i didn't even see it mentioned here, is this just totally out of the running or...?
    I do know the Tormek is a Rolls Royce, but my budget only allows for a Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lentzner View Post
    Scheppach: $119

Jet: $167
    I have a question here.

At the end of his (very informative and much appreciated) comparison of the Tormek versus the Scheppach, Jeff Farris notes that to purchase the cheaper machine will *save a Franklin*.

This seems to indicate that the Tormek machine can be bought somewhere for around $219.00 ($119 + $100)

If this is actually the case, I can easily see where the extra hundred dollars would be money well spent........but so far, I haven't seen where the Tormek can be bought for that price.

???

Dan, the machine you mention might be the smaller Tormek that they once sold. It was nowhere near as heavy duty as the current model which I paid $389.00 about 6 years ago. It is just about time for a new stone but other than that it's still rock solid. Don't let the new price for the T-7 system scare you off though. They changed and added some things that weren't available when I bought mine. The horizontal support which was an accessory, was added as standard equipment shortly after I sent in my owners registration card-don't know if I had any influence on that decision or not, but hey. The diamond truing tool, improved tool rest, improved square edge jig and stainless main shaft would make me buy one again. At Woodcraft, the price difference between Tormek and Jet for both complete set-ups is only about $80. Go with the inventor/innovator not the imitator.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    Dan, the machine you mention might be the smaller Tormek that they once sold. It was nowhere near as heavy duty as the current model which I paid $389.00 about 6 years ago..........At Woodcraft, the price difference between Tormek and Jet for both complete set-ups is only about $80. Go with the inventor/innovator not the imitator.
    My point here Michael was that even though Jeff Farris, in post #8 on this thread, gave a very informative (and I have no doubt it was very accurate also) comparison of the Tormek versus the Scheppach, he ended his post by stating that a person buying the Scheppach sharpener would save **one Franklin**.......i.e., $100.00

While his post provided some extremely helpful information --for which I commend him-- in pointing out the superior quality of the Tormek and went a long way toward helping people to choose between the two, he finished it with what seems to have been a bit of a misrepresentation of the comparative costs of the two machines, no matter which current Tormek model we might be talking about.

If you look at the date of Jeff Farris' post, it was from Nov. 2006. Prices have changed since then, and my recollection is that the Scheppach machine was just about $100 cheaper than what the Tormek was selling for at that time.

Dan, When I listen to Jeff Farris, he seems to be an honest guy trying to sell the best equipment available. Not trying to change the discussion too much, you can also look at the Jet clone of the Tormek and you have about an equal $100.00 savings ( when it was the 2000 series and before the add-ons). Jeff did a comparison on that one and it wasn't even close. Sometimes that extra Franklin or two has a significant affect on our buying decision. When I saw the Scheppach at Woodcraft, I don't recall any optional jigs or accessories for sale. When I looked at it and handled it it didn't seem as well built as the Tormek. Dan, try and find someone near you who has one of the machines and try'em before you buy 'em. Good Luck. BTW there are a few more heated threads about these same sharpeners somewhere else on the forums.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Dan,

Just to illustrate the build quality issue, here are pictures of the Tormek T-3, and the Scheppach Tiger 2000, which is the T-3 clone that currently sells for about $120 on sale, and lists for $375(!). There are some clear differences that you can see from these pictures. The Tormek has a more robust mechanism that clamps the guide bar in place. The base of the Tormek is better designed, with more metal being used. The machining on the guide bar on the Tormek is much more neatly done than on the Scheppach.

I also found picture of the jigs that allow you to set the angle for grinding on both machines. It's obvious that the Tormek has the nicer jig.

Now, do all these build quality things matter? Maybe, maybe not. But people say the same things about the need for drawers made with dovetails as opposed to butt joints nailed together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 01-07-2009 at 7:56 PM.

Maybe I missed something in this thread...but isn't Grizzly selling the larger Scheppach (250 mm)? Isn't that a better comparison to the full size Tormek?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Marr View Post
    Maybe I missed something in this thread...but isn't Grizzly selling the larger Scheppach (250 mm)? Isn't that a better comparison to the full size Tormek?
    I got your comparison right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADtSziD9N3A

Nice isn't it. You won't see quality like that pouring out of the Tormek factory
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.