Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tormek vs Scheppach Sharpening Systems

Grizzly

Received my Grizzly Sharpener yesterday and the wheel is round and does not wobble. At 170 it is a bargain. I saw the wobbly video before I ordered. I also have several other sharpeners. I use a makita flat wheel for planer blades. Slow regular grinders for shaping. Wolverine jig for gouges. Will try to make jigs for other tools.

Jeff,

I bought a Tormek about 5years ago and haven't used it yet. Are the new features on the latest model available for me?

I'll get my model number when I get home later tonight.

>Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris View Post
    TORMEK pioneered water-cooled sharpening. They recognize that competition is inevitable. That is why they are constantly working to update, upgrade and improve the system. It is admirable that every improvement that has been introduced can be retrofitted to machines built 20 years ago. Personally, I would have more respect for Scheppach if their copy had even one design modification that could be viewed as an advantage or improvement. As it is, I just can't see how anyone could carefully compare the two systems and decide that saving one Franklin would be worth what you give up by choosing the Scheppach.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Rucci View Post
    Jeff,

I bought a Tormek about 5years ago and haven't used it yet. Are the new features on the latest model available for me?

I'll get my model number when I get home later tonight.

>Louis
    Louis,

Go to http://www.tormekstore.com and click the link for "Upgrades & Replacements". All of the retrofits are available there. Most notably since you bought your machine would be the cast and machined dual lock horizontal base (XB-100) and the Universal Support with calibrated micro-adjuster (US-105). If you haven't used that machine yet, I will caution you to clean and dry the machine carefully after each use. It is of an age that predates our stainless steel main shaft, stone washers and stone nut. Without careful maintenance, the stone and main shaft can fuse together making stone replacement difficult to impossible (without replacing the shaft, too).
    Jeff Farris

Larry,

What do you think of the Makita flat wheel? I'm thinking of getting on myself. How do you think it would fair with hand plane blades?

Anthony

5. Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Brummett View Post
    I got your comparison right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADtSziD9N3A

Nice isn't it. You won't see quality like that pouring out of the Tormek factory
    I know it's bad form to dig up posts from the past, especially as my first post here, while lurking a noticed this post and felt I could help clarify this Grizzly problem.
    As an ex Grizzly wet sharpener owner (now the proud owner of a Tormek T-7), the machine in the YouTube video (which isn't mine, but i had experienced the same wobble) isn't out of round nor bad quality, they are shipped with the stone off the shaft and a cardboard spacer tube where the stone goes, unfortunatelythe shaft slides around and being a shouldered shaft it tends to drop off the shoulders and rests on the narrower section . If you don't know this happened, (as I didn't) and assemble the wheel to the machine, it induces a wobble as seen in the video.
    Fortunately I investigated the wobble and slid the shaft fully into the machine, onto the shoulders, and the stone and hone ran true.
    The reason I've replaced the Grizzly for the Tormek, was stone life, which is TERRIBLE with the Grizzly blue stone wheel, as well as the Swedish machine being far superior in holding a tight tolerance in stone to rest clearance/repeatability.

Was it possible to run another stone on the Grizzly unit?

I am wondering if the shafts on all these machines are the same diameter of
    12mm? The Grizzly unit is made in Germany, so may be 12 mm is the diameter?

Also I see that the Grizzly replacement stone is only $49.95, so it would take at least 3 of these wheels to match the cost of the cheapest Tormek wheel.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20262

Did the Grizzly wheel sharpen okay, and it was just an issue of wear?

P.S. I downloaded the Grizzly manual and it lists the shaft at 1/2".
    Last edited by Danny Burns; 04-28-2009 at 9:55 AM.

7. Mr. Burns,
    The Grizzly unit sharpened fine with a few minor problems,
    First, was the mentioned repeatability, without the marks/stop nut on the angle guide it was impossible to make a "recipe" as Tormek calls them, where you record the height of the angle bar/marks on the jig or distance from tool edge to jig face/dia. of stone/etc. so the next time you need to sharpen that tool it is very easy to get an angle extremely close to original (without having to use a marker to color the bevel or if you were to re-grind a new tool to match an existing one.
    Second, was an annoying tendency for the stone to pick up loose grit from the water, these fast wearing stones deposited a lot of grit in the bath (at least for me), after rough grinding the tool and surfacing the stone with the conditioner, I would change the water and rinse out the grit then smooth grind the tool. If I didn't do this it seemed the stone would grab a few rough grits from the bath and make the smooth grind frustrating.
    All in all, the Grizzly unit works, and for an occasional user or someone that has the patience to work through the limitations it would be fine.

I had the Grizzly model for 1 day. The grinding wheel would not stay on, the honing wheel was warped beyond usefulness (Grizzly said they'd send a replacement), there was substantial wobble, the overall fit and finish of the unit I received was cheesy -- spots of rust, a lot of misalignment of parts, ill fitting hanger bar, bad noise in the motor.

I sent it back, took a restocking fee hit and bought the T7 at Woodcraft before I even sent the T10010 back. Fortunately, I got the T7 for 20% off.

Though I'm a turner, I bought the T7 for kitchen knives. I can shave with my kitchen knives (with help from a ceramic "steel") and pretty much everything that gets kissed on the T7 is, to use the phrase, scary sharp. I get good edges on my turning tools but I'm still slower then my Wolverine but time and experience will take care of that.

In my opinion, the T10010 is good for some sharpening but I doubt I could get shaving sharp edges on it especially with the wobble (which the manual says is normal). However, that's not to say you cant.

I still think the T7 is overpriced but I'm not aware of any single station solution that would do all of my sharpening tasks.

9. And the European Tormak T3

Jeff, I read your very professional comparison of Tiger vs Tormek on the sawmillcreek site. I live in Europe, carve with gouges, follow Chris Pye, and think I'm ready for a power grinder. I'm a small female amateur carver. Because we have the Tormeck T-3 over here at a reasonable price, but also the Scheppack Tiger 3, I would greatly appreciate your expert opinion.

Dennis, let me preface this response by acknowledging that I make my living selling TORMEK sharpening systems. Your thread seems like the best opportunity to put the cards on the table about how the Scheppach copy cat machine stacks up to the TORMEK.

Scheppach approached us at the IWF in Atlanta in 2004, trying to lure us away from TORMEK demonstration with the promise of an equal product at a better price. Now, I have been working against price objections for 13 years, and the idea of having a price advantage for once, certainly had some appeal. However, the old saying, "You get what you pay for" could not be more appropriate when you critically compare the two systems. Which I did before telling Scheppach, "No thanks".

First let's examine the stone size and potential life. A little background for the US readers is in order first. In Europe, TORMEK sells two machines. The Model 2000 is exactly like the Model 2000 sold here in the USA - 250mm grindstone and 200mm honing wheel. The Model 1200 has a 200mm grindstone and a 145mm honing wheel. The most important point to note is that the frames are completely different designs. The 1200 is not sold in the USA for several reasons. Chief among them is the fact that by the time you rewire the motor for 110VAC 60Hz power, and ship them 4,000 miles, the price difference shrinks to the point that the 1200 loses all its appeal.

When Scheppach copied the TORMEK, they decided to offer two versions, as well. But, they are using the same frame for both large and small diameter systems. If they were offering the 250mm system in the USA, the price difference between a Sceppach and TORMEK would be so insignificant that no one would bite. So, they are selling their 200mm version here. By putting a 200mm grindstone on a frame designed for a 250mm grindstone, you greatly limit the amount of stone that can be used before you start having interference from other parts of the machine. To quantify this, it is 3-3/4" from the surface of a new TORMEK stone to the frame. It is 1-5/16" from the surface of a new Scheppach stone to the frame. Many people view the difference between the 10 inch TORMEK and 8 inch Scheppach stones as insignificant. But, when you actually look at the frames and their relationship to the stones, it becomes apparent that TORMEK offers nearly three times more usable stone! The grindstone is also 20% narrower (40mm compared to 50mm) That means that the surface is going to be working harder and breaking down quicker, thus contributing to the problem outlined above.

As far as their stone being better suited to HSS, I won't call anyone to prove that, because I truly doubt anyone who has first hand knowledge of the stone's design or manufacture could be reached by this forum to justify that statement. In my understanding of bonded abrasives, if they're saying that the stone cuts HSS faster than the TORMEK, then the stone will wear faster than the TORMEK stone, too. To cut faster, you have to have a more open grain structure, and that means faster wear. The converse of this is that the grading system, which Scheppach has also tried to copy, is most effective at exactly the grain size, bonding density, and porosity of the TORMEK grindstone. See Fine Woodworking's article this month. Tim Albers found that the Scheppach grindstone, when graded, left significantly heavier scratches than the TORMEK grindstone.

A less obvious, but very functional difference between the two grindstones is the lack of the recessed center found on the TORMEK stone. The recessed center lets you use the side of the stone to lap the backs of tool without depositing dross on the machine axle or wadding up the label. The raised surface can also be refinished and maintained flat. While a stone without the recess can be used a few times for lapping, eventually the surface will start showing more wear on the outside, and cannot be flattened.

With regard to power: One of TORMEK's original patents was their unique drive system. Scheppach has done a very poor job of copying the design. Hundreds of thousands of woodworkers -- many of them contributors here on SMC -- have watched me put the vast majority of my 240 pound weight against the grindstone of a TORMEK while it is running. I can stop a Scheppach with two fingers.

The TORMEK Universal Tool Support has included a micro-adjuster for the last couple of years. That feature has been awarded a design patent, so you won't see it on the Scheppach until the patent expires and they can copy that, too.

Scheppach copied the original AngleMaster, which TORMEK replaced 6 or 7 years ago. Instead of 4 pre-set angles that are only accurate when the stone is full-sized, the new Pro AngleMaster compensates for changes in stone diameter and allows you to accurately set any angle between 15 and 75 degrees.

A TORMEK comes with a hardcover Owner's Handbook with over 500 illustrations and step-by-step instructions. It also has a 23 minute video and a toll free number where you can get personalized help, if you need it. The Scheppach comes with a few pages of typewritten text that has been photocopied.

Three times more usable stone, vastly greater power delivery, true dual grit function, lapping for the life of the stone, micro-adjuster for angle adjustment, versatile and accurate angle setting, and outstanding documentation and technical support. Not opinion, fact.

TORMEK pioneered water-cooled sharpening. They recognize that competition is inevitable. That is why they are constantly working to update, upgrade and improve the system. It is admirable that every improvement that has been introduced can be retrofitted to machines built 20 years ago. Personally, I would have more respect for Scheppach if their copy had even one design modification that could be viewed as an advantage or improvement. As it is, I just can't see how anyone could carefully compare the two systems and decide that saving one Franklin would be worth what you give up by choosing the Scheppach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    I have the tormek and it pretty much works as advertised.
    However, I still prefer to use stones for sharpening my chisels and plane blades, it is much faster than the tormek(at least for me).
    For sharpening turning tools the tormek is great, but I prefer to use the wolverine jigs instead of the tormek jigs. Frankly, the wolverine jigs are infinitely better the tormek jigs. The wolverine jigs are easier and faster to setup. I was previously using a slow speed grinder to sharpen my turning tools, but the tormek is much better because bluing is not an issue with it.
    Are you saying that you use Wolerine jigs your Tormek?

Also, the first post begins with "Tormek withdraw from Amazon". What does this mean? Did Tormek used to sell direct on Amazon and they no longer do?

I own a Tormek, I love it. I tried many things before purchased one. I found the Tormek to be the fastest way (of all the things that I owned, and still own... assuming I am not doing a major repair) to establish an initial hollow grind, then, as you say, I use my stones to touch it up before and during use.

You say that you prefer to use stones for some things because it is faster. Do you mean it is always faster, or only after you have done something else to the blade?

I suppose that things could be faster on the Tormek if I had it setup in a dedicated always ready location. I store it and then pull it when I need it. But, I spend more time with touch-up and I am not good enough to free hand that on my Tormek.

Also, I have never been able to flatten the back of anything on the side wheel of the Tormek. I could not do it on my Worksharp either. I was never able to hit the wide spinning surface straight on without at least putting some sort of nick along the side, so, I stopped trying.

Side Note: I found the Tormek to be the easiest to use as a beginner to sharpening. Well, i say beginner, but, I sharpened for a few years using other methods before I spent the money on a Tormek.
    Last edited by Andrew Pitonyak; 05-18-2014 at 8:57 AM. Reason: add side note

11. Being in Europe, as a woman amateur carver, would you recommend the T3 for one who has never had or used a power grinder?

Dennis, let me preface this response by acknowledging that I make my living selling TORMEK sharpening systems. Your thread seems like the best opportunity to put the cards on the table about how the Scheppach copy cat machine stacks up to the TORMEK.

Scheppach approached us at the IWF in Atlanta in 2004, trying to lure us away from TORMEK demonstration with the promise of an equal product at a better price. Now, I have been working against price objections for 13 years, and the idea of having a price advantage for once, certainly had some appeal. However, the old saying, "You get what you pay for" could not be more appropriate when you critically compare the two systems. Which I did before telling Scheppach, "No thanks".

First let's examine the stone size and potential life. A little background for the US readers is in order first. In Europe, TORMEK sells two machines. The Model 2000 is exactly like the Model 2000 sold here in the USA - 250mm grindstone and 200mm honing wheel. The Model 1200 has a 200mm grindstone and a 145mm honing wheel. The most important point to note is that the frames are completely different designs. The 1200 is not sold in the USA for several reasons. Chief among them is the fact that by the time you rewire the motor for 110VAC 60Hz power, and ship them 4,000 miles, the price difference shrinks to the point that the 1200 loses all its appeal.

When Scheppach copied the TORMEK, they decided to offer two versions, as well. But, they are using the same frame for both large and small diameter systems. If they were offering the 250mm system in the USA, the price difference between a Sceppach and TORMEK would be so insignificant that no one would bite. So, they are selling their 200mm version here. By putting a 200mm grindstone on a frame designed for a 250mm grindstone, you greatly limit the amount of stone that can be used before you start having interference from other parts of the machine. To quantify this, it is 3-3/4" from the surface of a new TORMEK stone to the frame. It is 1-5/16" from the surface of a new Scheppach stone to the frame. Many people view the difference between the 10 inch TORMEK and 8 inch Scheppach stones as insignificant. But, when you actually look at the frames and their relationship to the stones, it becomes apparent that TORMEK offers nearly three times more usable stone! The grindstone is also 20% narrower (40mm compared to 50mm) That means that the surface is going to be working harder and breaking down quicker, thus contributing to the problem outlined above.

As far as their stone being better suited to HSS, I won't call anyone to prove that, because I truly doubt anyone who has first hand knowledge of the stone's design or manufacture could be reached by this forum to justify that statement. In my understanding of bonded abrasives, if they're saying that the stone cuts HSS faster than the TORMEK, then the stone will wear faster than the TORMEK stone, too. To cut faster, you have to have a more open grain structure, and that means faster wear. The converse of this is that the grading system, which Scheppach has also tried to copy, is most effective at exactly the grain size, bonding density, and porosity of the TORMEK grindstone. See Fine Woodworking's article this month. Tim Albers found that the Scheppach grindstone, when graded, left significantly heavier scratches than the TORMEK grindstone.

A less obvious, but very functional difference between the two grindstones is the lack of the recessed center found on the TORMEK stone. The recessed center lets you use the side of the stone to lap the backs of tool without depositing dross on the machine axle or wadding up the label. The raised surface can also be refinished and maintained flat. While a stone without the recess can be used a few times for lapping, eventually the surface will start showing more wear on the outside, and cannot be flattened.

With regard to power: One of TORMEK's original patents was their unique drive system. Scheppach has done a very poor job of copying the design. Hundreds of thousands of woodworkers -- many of them contributors here on SMC -- have watched me put the vast majority of my 240 pound weight against the grindstone of a TORMEK while it is running. I can stop a Scheppach with two fingers.

The TORMEK Universal Tool Support has included a micro-adjuster for the last couple of years. That feature has been awarded a design patent, so you won't see it on the Scheppach until the patent expires and they can copy that, too.

Scheppach copied the original AngleMaster, which TORMEK replaced 6 or 7 years ago. Instead of 4 pre-set angles that are only accurate when the stone is full-sized, the new Pro AngleMaster compensates for changes in stone diameter and allows you to accurately set any angle between 15 and 75 degrees.

A TORMEK comes with a hardcover Owner's Handbook with over 500 illustrations and step-by-step instructions. It also has a 23 minute video and a toll free number where you can get personalized help, if you need it. The Scheppach comes with a few pages of typewritten text that has been photocopied.

Three times more usable stone, vastly greater power delivery, true dual grit function, lapping for the life of the stone, micro-adjuster for angle adjustment, versatile and accurate angle setting, and outstanding documentation and technical support. Not opinion, fact.

Folks, the original posting in this thread is like 8 years old, and it was last revived 5 years ago.

Ann, Welcome to Sawmill Creek, you might want to start a new thread, and don't expect an answer from Jeff, as he hasn't been on the site in over a year. You could try PMing him though.