Thread: Kreg jig and 1/2" material

Kreg jig and 1/2" material

Has anyone been successful using a Kreg pocket hole jig on 1/2" material? I have used my Kreg jig lots of times with 3/4" material. I followed all the instructions - inserted the blue spacer in the bottom of the jig, reset the collar on the drill bit, used 1" screws. The ends of the screw holes are very close to the edge of the material and when a screw is inserted it blows out the face of the other piece. I tried moving the stop collar, but that resulted in a shallow hole and the screw forces some material out into the joint. I guess I could drill a shallow hole and then drill a pilot hole for the screw tip the rest of the way through the material. A bit of a pain to do it that way, but... Any other tips? Thanks.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I do it all the time...you need 1" screws and they have a flat head...square drive...I just bring the collar forward , it holds great! All my drawers that I have been recently making are 1/2" Kreg construction
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Are you using solid stock or plywood? 1/2" plywood is less than 1/2" in thickness. I ran into that problem when I first started using pocket holes.

Dave-
    I have been doing 1/2" stuff for awhile and not had the problem you are having. I did buy an extra drill bit and collar, and I set it for 1/2 inch stuff and use the 1" screws.
    As was said earlier, if you are using plywood, could be its a marginal amount less then 1/2".

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Quote Originally Posted by Jay T. Marlin
    Are you using solid stock or plywood? 1/2" plywood is less than 1/2" in thickness. I ran into that problem when I first started using pocket holes.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm using solid stock - soft maple - not plywood. I'm thinking there is a little play between the drill bit and the guides in the jig. The holes are ending up way too close to the edge of the piece being drilled, and the screws are at too steep an angle. The screw enters the second piece almost at the edge, instead of more toward the center. I think I'll email Kreg and see what they have to say.
    Cave Creek, AZ

An update - It looks like I might have a problem with the block that holds the drilling bushings on my Kreg jig. I have been talking to Kreg - very helpful folks - and they suggested drilling the holes with the mini jig for comparison. I did that, and the holes are noticeably closer to the face where the screw exits when drilled with the full sized jig. I suspect there might be too much play between the bushing and the drill bit, or perhaps the block angle is off slightly. Kreg will replace the block - it is warranted for life.
    Cave Creek, AZ