Thread: 1948 Oliver 232-D Table Saw

1948 Oliver 232-D Table Saw

http://www.woodworkingmachineryaucti...cnum=ST-010521

Anyone know anything about these table saws? There is an auction going on in Southern California on a bunch of large equipment.

I'm curious but most likely not serious about it.

Chris
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

nice oliver table saw.. not much can be seen from the photos though. the 232 was only a 3 hp unit and some feel a little wimpy. still a lot better than modern 3 hp cabinet saws imho
    lou

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW now Lou is that any way to talk about my baby
    Attached Images Attached Images

The oliver 232 is oliver's answer to the unisaw. Remember that the unisaw was introduced back in the 1930s sometime and most had very small repulsion induction motors of 2 HP and less. Wasnt the bullet motor about 1 or 1.5 HP as I recall?

At any rate, the 232 is also known as the uni-killer. Imagine a unisaw with massive cast iron trunions, a 3 HP Direct Drive Motor by Louis Allis, a motor drive system protected from falling sawdust (232 has a flask), a massive and robust 1.0 inch arbor and olivers mini mitre gages and a cast to the floor body. Yah Right, mini. Compared to a unisaw, these things have been on growth hormones and steriods.

Another thing I love about this design is that it has two mitre gages. Twin #2 oliver mitre gages. Why Two you ask? There was a horseshoe shaped part that actually connects the two mitres together to form a cross cutting sled.

Combine all this together and you have one of the most popular oliver table saws made. Not only do you get an oliver but you get one that can fit a small shop.

Now the next step up was the 270 and the 370. The 370 was made for the government and is a DOD release of the 270. The 270 uses a larger table and the motor is boosted to 5 HP. But the lower base assembly appears identical to the 232. Oliver was always looking for ways to squeeze more milage out of castings.

The 232 was made as far back as the late 1930s or so and I have seen one silver eagle that dates into the mid 1980s. There were some changes along the way like motor companies and electrics as well as style changes in the guard and the use of art deco styled castings when that was popular. But for the most part, its the same saw. Now that is staying power. When you can buy a new saw that your granpa used when he was young.

So who ever bids on this saw will have their hands full. It was a very popular model and its more popular then ever.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Reg,
    I wish you would stop showing pictures of that saw; I'm starting to like that color a little too much! I will be repainting my 88D this spring, and am not a slave to historical accuracy as far as color, so who knows?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    The oliver 232 is oliver's answer to the unisaw. Remember that the unisaw was introduced back in the 1930s sometime and most had very small repulsion induction motors of 2 HP and less. Wasnt the bullet motor about 1 or 1.5 HP as I recall?
    The original "bullet" motors offered with the first Unisaws in 1939 were 0.75 HP, with a 1 HP offered as an upgrade. In 1942(?) these were increased to 1HP and 1.5HP respectively.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Cool stuff...thanks, Guys.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWW now Lou is that any way to talk about my baby
    opps .... I should have said, less power than the oliver 260 and 88

nice saw. reg.... we want to here more about how you like it.. when is it going to run
    lou

LOL yes Chris that green is sweet, but its in the process of being removed. I already have the right color form a guy that has it put in a spray can and will be changing the color as soon as it warms a little. If you need the name and number to get it pm me and i will get it to you.
    By the wa Lou, i haven't turned it on yet I will be moveing it to my new shop and I have 3 phase power available from the pole to my shop . So it will be a few months yet. So i will be content with my General for the time being, besides that General is a pretty good saw.