Thread: Quilted Maple and Cherry, more pics 2 of 2

Quilted Maple and Cherry, more pics 2 of 2

a few more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Outstanding work Martin! I love the finish on the maple! This is a set that really takes your breath away when you view it through pictures, I can only imagine what it must look like in real life! Beautiful work!

How long did it take you to complete this project?
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Tom, I wish I would have kept track of the hours better. I started these and then put the project on hold while we had our first child. In the meantime the price of cherry went through the roof. Anyway it was a while before I got back to it.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Martin:
    Brilliant! The pics are beautiful. I'm certain it is/will be appreciated by the one who matters most. I'm glad you included your finishing steps. How did you come upon the materials? Do you have a fortuitous connection to timber or do you shop the mills? What gorgious figuring and a fabulous job. You have the right to be proud of this (in a humble sort of way)
    Which colour is closer to reality? Is it more blond than red?

Congratulations - a very fine job!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lutz
    Thanks Tom, I wish I would have kept track of the hours better. I started these and then put the project on hold while we had our first child. In the meantime the price of cherry went through the roof. Anyway it was a while before I got back to it.
    How about a rough guess? It always inspires me to see what people accomplish in the time they invest.

BTW, I think that the lingerie chest is my favorite piece. THe maple in the upper doors just pops right out and pleases my eyes! I really love this project Martin, it is truly a classic!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Martin, same comments as with the first post, just stunning work and execution.

Chris the actual color is somewhere between the two photos but is closer to the "blode" picture. As far as the lumber, I kinda collect it when I can. Especially wide pieces. I used to mill and dry my own but since we moved back to Colorado hardwoods are few and far between. I got some of it from Tom Sontag (SMC member) in St. Louis.

Tom -- I dont know where to begin counting the hours. I work in the shop evenings and weekends and not all of those. I know I have at least 40 hours in the finishing process if not more.

Thanks for your positive comments. Its inspiring.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin, here's the only other thing I can add to my previous comments:

- Vaughn

Vaughn, great graphic. Thank you.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin,

Just echoing all the previous comments.....

Fabulous work!!!

I may have missed it......but did you let the top "float" within the cherry frame?
    Thanks for the posts........

Roy, the tops are QM veneer over 1"MDF. They "float" in their attachment to the casebut not within the Cherry frame. I have not had a problem with this approach in the past. Hopefully not now.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

try this

Try this.. I hope I am not too forward or anything and get suid for copyright infriongement.. Right click on the close up picture of the wood and save it as your wallpaper... awesome!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quilted Maple

Martin:

The color of the quilted maple is an excellent color match to the cherry.

Did you use a dye on the quilted maple?

Could you share the color mixture that you used to achieve the color match?

Thanks
    Randy

Randy, the color in the photo is due to two things. I used boiled linseed oil in the first steps of finishing and then the photographer used different lighting. Look at my first post and you can see some of the color variation . (Quilted Maple and Cherry, 1 of 2, currently on page 4. I would link it if I knew how) Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Martin Lutz; 01-12-2006 at 9:48 AM.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------