Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question about spray guns

Blog Entries

Silly question about spray guns

Let me start by saying I basicly know nothing about spray guns. So keep that in mind as you read the rest of this post.
    Well, I'm checking out the new Grizzly catalog in the "reading room" yesterday and I came across the spray gun section. On one page they have these Sata brand guns ranging in price from $359.95 to $799.95 Then on the facing page they have guns starting from $19.95. Now that's a BIG difference! Now, I know that someone will say they can't be compared like that, HVLP vs std, etc.. but holy atomizing Batman! They all at least attempt to do the same thing, get the paint out of the can and onto something. I own a Harbor Freight HVLP gun, which I paid $39.95 for and as far as I know, does fine for applying finishes. But, then again this gun is my only experence with spray guns, so I have nothing to compare it to. I just cannot imagine that one of these high dollar guns would work that much better. Or, do they? Can someone clear this up for me? Please
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

larry, comparing a hf to a sata is like comparing a 63 bug to a rolls. i can`t justify a sata for what i do but i have used them and i`ve never used a finer gun. the fit and finish is like a new altendorf and the performance is on par also. i chose to go with binks equipment because i only spray 5-10 gal of finish a month. if i where a real painter i would step up to the sata and not look back.......the only generic gun i ever bought was an old astro conventional and i pitched it after less than one job for the binks.
    spray equipment is like any tool, you can rip 10/4 oak on a bosch fold-up saw and you can rip it on a delta rt-40 both will get you there but at what level of efficency and quality of finished product?........02 tod

here's a quote from a site that sells a wide range of guns.

<b><big>"No Free Lunch
    </big>
    The spray gun market is very competitive and the price of guns can range from just a few dollars to many hundreds of dollars so don't think that you can get a gun that is worth more than you will pay, you'll just be kidding yourself. Most of the guns under $200 are not for the professional but may serve the novice quite well. The guns under $100 should be considered for priming and for shooting surfaces where high quality automotive type finishes are not a necessity."

I don't do a lot of spraying but I would guess there is a lot of money difference in hardenened parts for long life valves, precision in air caps, metals that won't rust, seal materials that hold up to daily use. I have one middle of the road gun I've been using for 10 years that is holding up quite well for occasional use. There's a cheapy in the corner with peeling plating and rusty fittings. Same song, you get what you pay for.

Bill W.
    </b>

Blog Entries
    Tod,
    What I really want to know is since I have no other experience other the the HF gun, (which seems to work fine) what is it about the other more expensive guns that make them better? You can say it's like comparing a bug to a rolls, and I am sure that is true, but what is it exactly that makes the difference besides fit and finish. The HF gun has machined brass components, stainless steel needle, etc. I think it feels good in my hand. It seems to do the job just fine. What is it about these fancy guns that make them better? Do they shoot better? Do they put on the finish faster? Do they put on a more even coat? Why is it better?
    The answer to these question may seem obvious to someone who knows about spray equipment, but not to me, so please be gentle.

By the way, you say that you only spray 5-10 gals per month, I'd have to say I haven't sprayed on 5 gals in my lifetime.

Also, my perception is that spraying finish on a piece of furniture takes less skill and precission than spraying a car. So, with that in mind, Maybe a 63 bug would be better suited for the job than a Rolls Royce. It seems to me that for me, the hobbiest, a less expensive gun may be a better choice. Why use Word when all you need is NotePad?

Thanks
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-12-2006 at 9:19 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,
    I have owned two guns; a regular Devilbiss made in china and an HVLP conversion gun from Apollo. The Devilbiss cost $50 and the Apollo cost $400. The primary reason for going to the Apollo was over spray (much less) and control. I never could get the Devilbiss to work right and almost gave up on spraying. Then I pulled the trigger and bought the Apollo. Great gun and more important, I have someone to call if I have a problem and I can get replacement parts. I use WB products and the Apollo is all stainless steel.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

larry, it`s all about controll when you`re spraying. what comes out the end of the gun is the interaction of both air and fluid, the end result is to break the fluid down into a finely atomized mist that you can control both the particle size and pattern of..i couldn`t begin to discribe the physics involved but a simple hands on comparison will quickly pinpoint the mechanical shortcommings of the inexpensive guns, the flexability just isn`t there. longivity is another issue, i`m not a metalurgist but the componants on the higher quality guns last longer, it`s really a bummer to be shooting the final coat on a piece and have the needle packing start to drip.....in short the nicer guns lay down a finer finish with more precision. i`d be more than happy to let you drive my equipment if you`d like? i`m in the shop 7 days a week and you can compare the hf to my middle of the road binks stuff....the sata stuff is in a whole `nother league all together. tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 01-12-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Larry, the Sata and other high end guns are aimed at the professional who uses them day in and day out, usually in the automotive refinishing industry. Today's automotive finishes are two stage pearls (pearl mixed with the base coat then a clear coat is applied), and three stage pearls (base coat, transleuscent pearl coat, and clear coat). You would not believe how difficult these finishes are to apply (tiger striping, blotching, mottling etc). The Sata and other high end guns atomize those pearls, and metallic bases to a much finer mist than other guns. The air travel within the gun, air adustment controls, fan adjustment controls, the fluid tip, and the fluid cap all affect the way the material is atomized. The internal working parts of the gun are of a much higher quality than say the under $200 gun. Therefore they last considerably longer than the low end guns. This is a necessity when someone uses spray guns 8-10 hours everyday. A professional refinisher can identify minute differences in a spray gun much like a wine conniseur can identify the subtle differences between two bottles of wine. Think of an artist that may spend $50 for one brush because of the bristle material, the balance and feel of the handle, quality of the ferrule, or the bristle belly. They can easily identify those difference, but of course we could not. So a $50 gun with a 1.4mm fluid tip will not atomize material as good as the Sata with 1.4mm fluid tip. But in many cases the $50-$200 gun will work great for us woodworkers. I am not sure why Grizzly is selling these high end guns because most professionals that use these guns buy them from local suppliers who will offer immediate support/replacement if needed (not offense to Grizzly). Hope this helps, Bill

thanks anthony! much better verbage than my attempt tod

Blog Entries
    Tod,
    Where exactly in the Ozarks are you? The Ozarks is a big area. I went to your web site and I couldn't even find out there. I might take you up on your offer if you are close to me.
    Larry J Browning

just sent you a p/m

11. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    thanks anthony! much better verbage than my attempt tod
    Hey Tod, We said the same thing. I can relate to car and tool analogies too. The only thing that I love more than WWing is cars. That is a cool 'daily beater" (I think that is what you called it in the earlier post) you are driving. Did you say that is a 55 or 56? You could buy one of those $700 SATA guns and get some color on your truck/panel van . You definately have the space for it. BTW nice shop and excellent work (curved moldings in another post). REgards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Hey Tod, We said the same thing. I can relate to car and tool analogies too. The only thing that I love more than WWing is cars. That is a cool 'daily beater" (I think that is what you called it in the earlier post) you are driving. Did you say that is a 55 or 56? You could buy one of those $700 SATA guns and get some color on your truck/panel van . You definately have the space for it. BTW nice shop and excellent work (curved moldings in another post). REgards, Bill
    thanks bill, it`s a 56. i`ll get around to painting my rig when the wifes is back on the road i wouldn`t dare do mine first tod

[quote=Larry Browning]Tod,
    What I really want to know is since I have no other experience other the the HF gun, (which seems to work fine) what is it about the other more expensive guns that make them better? You can say it's like comparing a bug to a rolls, and I am sure that is true, but what is it exactly that makes the difference besides fit and finish. The HF gun has machined brass components, stainless steel needle, etc. I think it feels good in my hand. It seems to do the job just fine. What is it about these fancy guns that make them better? Do they shoot better? Do they put on the finish faster? Do they put on a more even coat? Why is it better?
    The answer to these question may seem obvious to someone who knows about spray equipment, but not to me, so please be gentle.

By the way, you say that you only spray 5-10 gals per month, I'd have to say I haven't sprayed on 5 gals in my lifetime.

Also, my perception is that spraying finish on a piece of furniture takes less skill and precission than spraying a car. So, with that in mind, Maybe a 63 bug would be better suited for the job than a Rolls Royce. It seems to me that for me, the hobbiest, a less expensive gun may be a better choice. Why use Word when all you need is NotePad?

Thanks

It's a delema Larry. If you buy the good one first you can't compare. I just spent that kind of money on a gun to spray latex. It didn't work out very well. Your question helped though, thanks. And thanks for all the answers.

Blog Entries
    So, I guess you have convinced me that I should get a good spray gun. I was looking at homestead finishing and they have a Asturo BBS gun for $189 (reg $270). does anyone know anything about this gun? Would it be a good choice for waterborne clear finishes? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Any other recommendations?
    Larry J Browning

larry, if i had to choose one gun from the three i use it would be the m1g with a 1.4 tip and a 93p air cap.....02 tod