Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silly question about spray guns

Larry,
    You might want to consider getting a low cost hvlp gun just to see if you like it better than your HF. I picked up a HVLP from Menards for about $30.00. It has performed great IMHO. Granted I'm not a pro painter but I do know what I like when I see the finished product. I'm sure this gun will not perform as well as a $500 gun and would not hold up in a production environment. With that said if you are a weekend/weeknight woodworker like myself you are going to be spraying a couple of projects a month and that's a heafty load for me. I've sprayed 6 or 7 projects with my cheap Toolshop HVLP and the finish is just fine and the overspray is very low. For an occasional sprayer that's what I would suggest. After all what are you out if it doesn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    I was looking at homestead finishing and they have a Asturo BBS gun for $189 (reg $270).
    email them. Jeff will set you up with the correct gun taking into account what you want to spray, the compressor you have and your budget.

I'm ordering from him although my suspiscion is that I could probably shave a few $ by going elsewhere. But service and knowledge and expertise and helpfulness is worth a lot more than a few $.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Blog Entries
    Greg,
    The HF gun is an HVLP. I am really not dissatisfied with the HF gun. But aparently I should be. I really don't know any better. With my limited experence, I have decided that spraying is the way to go for me. Even with the gun I have, I can get a better looking finish by spraying than I ever did with a brush.
    Plus, spraying is faster and loads more fun. A brush doesn't have a single knob to turn. and you get to wear a way cool mask
    Plus even with all that, I get to learn new stuff which is also loads of fun.

So, does anybody know anything about these Asturo BBS guns or not?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-13-2006 at 2:38 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

larry, the brand of the gun you buy isn`t as important as being able to get parts and advice. if you have a local autobody supplier i would suggest dealing with them. if for some reason you`re more comfortable doing the online thing then this homestead outfit gets good reviews on this forum. either way you go it sounds like you`ve come to grips with the money involved so now it`s a downhill slide...oh one more thing, i always use a pressure regulator and a "pumpkin" filter right at the gun. good luck and let us know how you go...tod

MVC-110S.JPG

pumpkin and reg.

5. Larry, not to talk you out of spending money, we all know how fun it is. But spending it wisely on tools that will make us more efficient, or give us that "Man I am glad I bought this tool" feeling a year after we bought it is even better. Those purchases that we made, and say to ourself 3 years later, "Why did I buy this #$%$#@ thing" (and we all have done it) is not a good feeling.

So unless you're bent on spending money, here is what I recommend. If you are satisfied with the finish that your HF gun lays on, then I would keep it. I am not near you, so I cannot look at a sample of the finish to determine if your gun, and/or your method of application is decent. Unfortunately pictures don't tell the story when it comes to finishes. A top dollar gun, and I said this before, will not benefit you much, unless you are doing production work, or are going to be putting a 3 stage transleuscent pearl paint job on the wife's Porche/Jag/Ferrari/_______(you fill in the blank). Or you are going to put that same 3 stage paint job on the just completed armoire(That would look cool ). So spend the money if you must, but be prepared for that, "My HF gun wasn't so bad after all! Why did I buy this gun for $XXX for?" feeling. BTW, I bought one of the ToolShop HVLP detail guns from Menards for spraying jambs where it is hard to access, and the thing works very well (for woodworking clears). Good Luck, Regards, Bill

6. spray guns

cant say much on the asturo bbs guns from jeff i did buy the eco/ssp with a pressure pot and it sprays beautiful very little overspray.. the big thing to look at is how much are the parts n/n and so on i have two walcom cup guns extra needle sets are 220.00 each the satas will be about the same on the eco extra n/n are around 90.00. the way i look at it is when you go out and need a table saw or shaper or etc. etc you dont go out and buy the 79.00 one why go cheap on the spray gun a bad finish will make your excellent work look like crap as the other way around

Blog Entries
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Walcom Slim S gun from Jeff Jewitt today. (Pre gloat Pictures will follow when actual gloat arrives) I talked to Jeff and this is the one he recommends for waterborne finishes. He told me that I could still use my Harbor Freight gun for dye stains and the like. I checked the prices on the extra needle kits and they are $96 for this gun, so not so bad if I ever decide to add one.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

congratulations larry! i`m sure you`ll be delighted with your new gun, don`t forget to do the apples to oranges review. tod

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Walcom Slim S gun from Jeff Jewitt today. (Pre gloat Pictures will follow when actual gloat arrives) I talked to Jeff and this is the one he recommends for waterborne finishes. He told me that I could still use my Harbor Freight gun for dye stains and the like. I checked the prices on the extra needle kits and they are $96 for this gun, so not so bad if I ever decide to add one.
    I'd like to see the comparison when you've had a chance to try it out, it would be very enlightening to see your perceptions on the differences.

Blog Entries
    Everyone,
    Unfortunely it will be at least a month before I can use my new gun. I am leaving on a 3 week business trip in a few days, and I will be very busy at work preparing for this trip until I leave. But I promise I will do a review as soon as I can.

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Well, the gun finally arrived yesterday But the bad news is that I have to leave for England today, and won't be back until the 18th of Feb. So I won't get to try it out until after that.
    But, I promise I will let you know how it works for me ASAP. I did manage to shot some water through it last night and that was fun. One thing I can say it that Jeff included a 3-4 page instruction sheet that I think he wrote that is the most helpful thing I have read on how to use a spray gun. He explained what each knob and control was and what effect it would have on the sprayer. He also explaind some starting point settings for the different paints and stains that you might shot thru it. Very well written so that even a newbie like me could understand it.
    Larry J Browning