Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamps

Clamps

I have finally cleaned out enough space in my "shop" to get around to some fun projects. I have come to the point where I need to buy some bar clamps or pipe clamps. I am definitely not going to be using them every day so I am interested in a value buy. I am not opposed to paying more for something that is exceptional but I don't really understand the differences and can't justify paying for Jorgensen over Woodcraft. I guess I will get to my questions.

Is there an advantage with either bar or pipe clamps? How many people actually change out the pipe length to buy fewer clamps?

How many should I grab initially? My first project will be a mudroom storage bench. My thought is that you can't have too many, right? But they can be too short. Is too long just a hassle moving around the project?

I am not sure I made my point clear, but anyone who can decipher this and offer a suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Clamps

I bought three of each size of these

from Hartville Tool using their Christmas discount. I got them, used them, and liked them so much, I bought another 3 of each.

Four sizes...see them here http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12064
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

I am in the camp that believe that you can never have enough clamps but unfortunately, never find that I have enough $$ to buy enough of the bar style so I have stuck with Pony Pipe clamps. It doesn't take that long to change the pipes on them but instead of paying for long pipe that you only use on occasion (in can indeed be a hassle to have too long of pipe) I opted for having most of my pipes cut at 3' and threaded on both ends. When you need a larger clamp, you just join them together using a coupler.

How many should you pick up??? 40 should do for starters. OK, relax Steve. Honestly, I would get as many as you can afford right now. The number of clamps you will need over time really is determined on the type of woodworking you do and the materials you use. For instance, if you plan to work mostly with solid lumber then you will no doubt be doing a lot of glue-up to create panels etc......you will need a good supply of clamps whereas if you plan to use mostly sheet good, you can get away with less. Plan to be a "Clamp Collector" for quite some time.

I currently have 12 pipe clamps of various lengths. I find the 3 foot length to be the handiest length. I also have some 5 footers. All of my pipes are threaded on both ends and I have used couplers to create longer clamps.

I also have probably 20 of the clamps like mark showed. All of my clamps came from harbor freight. No complaints yet. I would love some k-bodies, but $30 for a clamp or so is a LOT of wood!

Start out with pipe clamps and then use wood cauls to keep the panel flat during the glue up.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

MVC-100S.JPG

MVC-101S.JPG

buy as many as you can you`ll need more......02 tod

I would start with 6 pipe clamps. Get good fixtures (Pony is my preference) and do the 3 foot sections like Shelley recommends with couplers.

I have mostly Pony clamps from Jorgensen. The last I bought were the 1/2 pipe size. I don't care for them as much as the 3/4" size because the clamp face is not fixed in place. I do like them because they are lighter to move about. Personally I don't think the bessey type clamps are worth the money but you will need a lot of clamps. Shop around until you find one that is to your liking and buy all of your clamps the same brand and style. I have numerous brands and the mix is sometimes aggrivating to deal with. But I'm easily aggrivated.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Quality over quanity

When I started working wood, I went with the "old black pipe" and Pony clamps. I think I bought 6 sets, and a couple extra lengths of pipe to make them longer if needed. And by the time I paid for all of this, I could have bought 4 really nice Bessey K-Bodies. Yeah, I would have two less clamps in the shop, but I would also have some very nice clamps that will last a life time.<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///E:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_ima ge001.gif" o:href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/wink.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

I do have several types of clamps in my shop, including those first 6 sets of pipe clamps. I also have 20 plus Quick Grip clamps, half dozen of the aluminum bar clamp, and over 20 Bessey K-Bodies. (I sure wish someone would have told me this before investing in ALL of those Quick Grips!)

A little note about using pipe clamps:
    1.) ALWAYS protect your wood from the pipe! It will leave nasty black stains that are hard to get off. (I use wax paper, especially at the glue line.)
    2.) Alternate from the top side to the bottom side of the panel you are gluing with each clamp. We have a tendency to over tighten these clamps causing the piece to warp.
    3.) Find somewhere to store them. These things are heavy and very awkward to store. (I have included a picture of my solution.)

I now buy Besseys when they have a great deal on them, or I need them for a project. I was able to get three sets of the 2x24" and 2x50" from <st1:city><st1 ="">LV</st1></st1:city> at $78 each before the holidays! (Stealth gloat??<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///E:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_ima ge002.gif" o:href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->)

Good Luck in your new woodworking adventures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can always buy just one. This one for example:

http://www.westauction.com/view_gall...=2.cps_102.JPG

It should take care of all your clamping needs.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

For many many years, I made do with 6 three foot pipe clamps threaded on both ends as Shelly suggests and 2 five foot pipe clamps as well as a few Jorgenson quick clamps of various lengths. I could manage to do everything I wanted with them but I had to be careful and many glue-ups took several steps and a long time.

About three years ago, I started to purchase Bessy and Jorgenson K-body clamps at sale proces and now have a reasonable collection. Glue-ups are now faster and better.

[quote=tod evans]clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

Tod, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your shop helper is a Mastiff, but cannot be certain unless I see a head shot of her. Oh wait, just noticed her partner just to the left of the frame. He appears to be of the Old English variety too. Dude, I'm not only enviousy of your shop, but your Mastiffs too. We had a pair of our own in the past, they have since passed on. My daughters would scream if they saw this pic. I see in your avitar that there is a four-legged friend pictured, but it's too small to make out. Would love too see more pictures of them.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I just get all giddy when I see a Mastiff.

To the OP, I started out with HF pipe clamps, a few of their aluminum bar clamps (24" and 48"), and four of their 12" F-body clamps. All have served me well. I aslo found some heavy duty Irwin F-body clamps on sale for $12 a piece at Big Lots; picked up four of those. Just last night, FedX delivered my Bessey K-Body clamps I got from Lee Valley during the Oct K-Body sale frenzy. My collection has taken me a few years to bring together, but like others have noted--you'll never have enough. I'm always on the look out for sales and will buy used if I see them at the right price. Your notion that different sizes are needed is correct. Just go slow with purchasing them and you'll be amazed what you'll have after a while.

Take care, Ed

[quote=Ed Bamba]
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

Tod, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your shop helper is a Mastiff, but cannot be certain unless I see a head shot of her. Oh wait, just noticed her partner just to the left of the frame. He appears to be of the Old English variety too. Dude, I'm not only enviousy of your shop, but your Mastiffs too. We had a pair of our own in the past, they have since passed on. My daughters would scream if they saw this pic. I see in your avitar that there is a four-legged friend pictured, but it's too small to make out. Would love too see more pictures of them.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I just get all giddy when I see a Mastiff.

Take care, Ed
    here`s to giddyness and steve sorry about the hijack too. tod

MVC-102S.JPG

I bought several of the Bessey K-bodies during the recent sale-athon, but otherwise have 80-90 cheaper clamps including aluminum bars, F-style bars, etc., in lengths from 6" up to 5 feet; a bunch of common C-clamps and quick-release C-types; spring clamps, and several specialty ones like corner clamps. Every one has come in handy at one time or another. You not only can't have too many, but also you can't have too many types. I built a Norm-style A-frame rack to hold them all.

One of the handiest (one-handed operation, plus swivel head so it doesn't induce movement of the workpiece) clamps are a quick-release variety, made in England, based on the same mechanism as in a caulking gun. Similar ease of use to a spring clamp, but capable of much greater force. I have seen a Chinese knock-off of this design at Big Lots.

The Harbor Freight F-clamps (ones with the black paint) are a bargain when half-price. They are heavier and adjust easier than the Jorgensons I have. An earlier HF model (grey paint) didn't work as well. The HF aluminum bars I have also work well for fairly modest clamping.

If you have a Big Lots near, right now they have some of the clamps just like Marc Ward showed, at a very good price. Also got a few deep-throat Irwin F-clamps there recently.

On the upscale side, Lee Valley has been promising a big sale soon on Gros Stabil clamps, comparable to the December Bessey orgy.

I've got a pretty wide assortment of clamps. The one warning I can think of on the Woodcraft clamps - take a pocket square and make sure the clamping faces are reasonably parallel and perpendicular to the clamp body. I had to take a file to a few I bought there, but other than that they're decent clamps. A few small Quick-Grip and a couple of the larger wooden handscrew type clamps are pretty indispensible IMHO. For the big stuff I'm kind of partial to the Gros-Stabil clamps, but do still have some pipe clamps around (somewhere) if I need something really long.
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the great suggestions. I noticed today that Harbor Freight has "pony" style pipe clamps for $3.50. I guess I can swing by this evening and grab a few. If they don't work so well I won't be out any real money. I grew up with black pipe in my dad's shop, but noticed most of you are using what I guess is galvanized. I was thinking the clamps might slip on this. I just noticed that the HF clamps don't have "feet" on them, is this going to be a pain in the butt?

As for hijacking the thread to talk about large dogs, not a problem. My shop helper is a 130 lb Newf and I am getting pressure to add a second shop assistant to the mix. I'll try to add a picture. I thought you had oxen in your shop until I blew up the picture.

IMG_0676.JPG