Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Turning.... Don't Laugh!!! :)

My First Turning.... Don't Laugh!!! :)

Ok, here is my first turning... ok, you can laugh if you want to. This was a 6 inch long piece of cherry that I chucked up (thanks John) and I first attempted to make a dowel of sorts between the end. Not to be though. I started with the cheap Carbon Steel gouge that came with my set. They just chewed up the wood badly. So, then I decided to get out the big HSS tools and took up the big roughing gouge, I could then get it round but a straight dowell was no longer a possibility. Just started to get the feel of turning down the wood etc. was able to make a straight section in the middle. I am keeping it to show how bad I was in the beginning! Next time will go better, learned a little about the speed settings etc. I know I don't know what the heck to do with the skew chisel. I couldn't make it do anything but dig holes! I have the Wolverine Jigs on the way and the slow speed grinder so I should be able to sharped the tools up decently.

Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corey it's a nice first piece!! My first piece was not nice at alllllllll. Made a nice center piece for a batch of kindling though

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Corey, you did exactly what you should have done! You played and began to get a feel for the tools and the machine. That's exactly what I did, except my first piece was a walnut spindle. I wish I still had it. As for the skew chisel, there is a definite learning curve to using it properly. Used improperly, it can destroy a piece quicker than any other turning tool! I would suggest you get he video by Alan Lacer called "The skew Chisel: The Dark Side - The Light Side". He teaches you all you need to know and does it well.
    Keep spinning!

Corey.....

Great practice job buddy! I believe you are going to do very well with this venture. At least you can make shapes your first try which is far more than I can say for my first piece if you saw it when I put it up here

How are ya liking little red so far? Not a bad little machine for the money eh?

Keep up the good work!

Way to go, Corey and do NOT feel bad about goofin' up with the skew!!! I have to believe that is one of the very hardest turning chisels to master. BUT, once you do, it will make spindle turning shear pleasure! Sandpaper??? You do the job with a nice, sharp skew and you won't need no stinkin' sandpaper!! You're doing good and getting the feel for the tools is exactly what you should be doing. Great job and keep it up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks guys, I guess I don't feel so bad! I like the lathe alot. Bob, one problem I have noticed is that the tool rest base when tightened down, loosens back up. I can stand and watch the handle move immediately after it gets lockede down, it just creeps up immediately and is then on the edge of loose. Yours do that?

Corey

Well alllllll right Corey! Looking good.

Don't worry about the skew now. plenty of time for that later. Stick with the roughing gouge and spindle gouge and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

"Practice what?" he says.

"Practice rubbing the bevel", I says.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hang on to that piece at least for a few months. Every time you look at it, look at your current work and you will see how far you have progressed.

BTW, those High Carbon Steel tools should be capable of getting a keener edge than the HSS tools you just bought. But they won't hold that edge as long. And, don't get them hot enough to 'blue' when sharpening or they will be ruined. Lots of us old folks learned to turn with high carbon steel tools.

Either way, you are hooked!

Harry, I think they are allright as well. One, the little gouge didn't do well on roughing it out but I think ok once it was roughed. They will be good for me to practice sharpening the bevels etc. if anything. Like Bernie told me, turn with them, sharpen turn some more and then sharpen and then tackle sharpening the HSS tools!
    Thanks!
    Corey

Andy, I think I will just practice instead

Corey

Corey, that looks great for the first time. Do that about 6 to 10 times more using all your tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's great Corey, now practice some more...
    Last edited by Dick Parr; 01-14-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

That's the way to go Corey. I often comment to new turners that we all were looking for the letter "A" when we first began typing and in no time you don't even think about it. Every time you move a tool, you will learn something.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

14. Well, your first bumpy stick looks a lot better than my first bumpy stick. Now build on that and keep spinning. Every time you put tool to wood you will learn something and that is what it is all about. Just hang in there and keep turning!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nicely done Corey. With the beads and curves, it looks like you were getting into the rythym of things. It won't take long at all and before too long, you'll be tempted to throw that piece away....Keep it!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson