Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Turning.... Don't Laugh!!! :)

Looks great! Remember, all turning is either a cove, bead, or a part... You got them all in that one piece.

Cory, that is a wonderful first "just for fun" piece. Keep it spinning

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Thanks guys, I guess I don't feel so bad! I like the lathe alot. Bob, one problem I have noticed is that the tool rest base when tightened down, loosens back up. I can stand and watch the handle move immediately after it gets lockede down, it just creeps up immediately and is then on the edge of loose. Yours do that?

Corey
    No and yours shouldn't either! Having your tool rest move while turning can quickly lead to disaster. Don't know what your problem is, but if I were you, I would find a way to get it fixed immediately.

Thanks guys, I watched Dave on the DIY Channel do some tops yesterday and he did some "chattering" with a special tool. I am here to tell you, you can do the same with out that special tool, I did!

Corey

Good work Corey. I know what you mean about the skew. I've learn some with trial and error about it, but I think I might try out that video Carole wrote of.

Hey, that carbon steel gouge can be sharpened nicely with that grinder and jig you bought. I have a scraper that I sharpen frequently, but it make a fine cut.

Ernie

Good one!

Way to go Corey, first time turner here too

Hmmm I was just going to go to my buddys house, with my one time fiasco and he has a fire place... was ready to make it more worth while than a table lamp...(cant very well do that now, the thing cracked at the bottom, much as I expected because it was green)...

Actually, if you hadnt mentioned it was your first, people like me would never have known and thought you did a better job than you did..
    Not that it wasnt bad, it looks good... Now, where can I buy me some of that "practise" in a can??? sheesh, elbow grease, and all that should either come bottled or canned ...Jesse

Thanks Jesse. It will be fun. I got a couple problems on the lathe to work out but but other than that, I am ready to rock and roll!!

Corey