Thread: Outfeed table width

Outfeed table width

I'm starting to plan an outfeed table for a GI 50-220.
    I already have an extension table the entire width of the rails but I'm wondering how wide the outfeed table should be.
    Should I keep it to the width of the saw wings?
    Should it be wider? Narrower?
    Jeff

jeff, i make outfeed tables the same width as my rails......02 tod

Tod, I hope my question wasn't too vague but I wanted to be sure I understand your answer.

I have already built an extension table that fills the entire distance between the rails. I plan on mounting a router insert in their eventually.

Do you mean that the outfeed table off the back of the saw should be the entire length of the rails? I just measured the back rail and it's 70". You're saying the outfeed table should also be 70"
    Jeff

jeff, that`s how i set my conventional saw up but it`s a matter of personal preferance and space? tod

I built my outfeed table 60" wide centered on the blade so I have 30" of outfeed on either side. And from the back of the blade to the far end it's 54". This way I can flop a 4x8 sheet down, shove it through, and not worry about anything falling off or going wonky during the last few inches of just about any cut I might want to do on the full sheet.
    Only the Blue Roads

I used Jim Beckers design for mine. It's 48" wide with a 12" fixed section and a 30" folding section. Here's a link to his site:http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm
    I have a router in the end of my extension also. The 48" doesn't get in the way the router table
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 01-15-2006 at 2:19 PM.

Russ references my outfeed solution and it does work relatively good. However, if I were building it today, it would be full-width, rather than just 48". Why? Because of the way I work. I often use the outfeed table for other things...like extra assembly space. Right now, I have an old kitchen/bath base cabinet tucked into the "gap" with a top on it that is at the same height as the TS...effectively giving me the full width.

But this is all very much personal preference. Some folks prefer a narrow solution; some wide; some somewhere inbetween.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also follow what tod does, or he keeps copying me

I find that wide table on the outfeed works great. what else would you do with that space if you dont use if for a work space?

Lou

I use Andy's basic concept in regards to the width of a 4 x 8 sheet. However on mine the left side is restricted by the sliding table attachment and the right by the need for a walkway by the dust collector closet so Iguess the best answer is "as big as will fit".

Thumbs up

Jim, I have a question regarding the aluminum bracket you mounted on the saw.
    (btw: I like the design and I'm already figuring out how to modify it for my situation).
    How wide is the bracket? How far past the edge of the saw does it extend? And do you provide some type of support for the end (the end not attached to the saw) to keep it from sagging?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    I also follow what tod does, or he keeps copying me

I find that wide table on the outfeed works great. what else would you do with that space if you dont use if for a work space?

Lou
    man, i hope lou doesn`t find the cctv cameras honestly lou i think it all comes from beating your fingers. after a few too many times we see the obvious...02 tod