Thread: Painting shelves

Blog Entries

Painting shelves

I just read this information within the last week or two and do you think I can go back and find it wherever it was? Of course not. I am getting around to finishing a project that will be finished in white paint. It involves shelving and I am concerned about objects being placed on the shelves and "sticking" - even after the paint is supposedly dry. I know that there is one paint that will not cause this "sticking" and is favored in this situation over other varieties, but darned if I can go back and find that information. Can anyone help me on this? Can someone provide the kind of paint I want to use with this - acrylic - acrylic/latex - flat out latex - oil ??? Thanks in advance.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Fred, I can only contribute this: the people at Sherwin Williams local store said that it takes around 4 weeks for oil based gloss enamel to complete cure. I have used over a gallon of the S/W enamel in the past year, and even though I haven't timed it, I can say that they are probably right, or at least close. I would guess that your environment will impact that time.
    Best Regards, Ken

I was looking into this recently. Any kind of Latex sticks IIRC. My choices for spraying were a colored water base poly ($70 per gallon with shipping), brush on acrylic latex, or laquer. I ended up using white pigmented laquer for $23 per gallon. I finally got a nice day outside to spray. I really like the way it turned out.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Fred...you going to brush or spray? Brush? Oil based. Spray? Acrylic such as Target Coatings USL, Fuhr International 9100 or similar. Avoid latex paint like the plague. We can also get together to talk about this...I still have your calendar that you left in the booster seat!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-15-2006 at 8:30 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Fred...you going to brush or spray? Brush? Oil based. Spray? Acrylic such as Target Coatings USL, Fuhr International 9100 or similar. Avoid latex paint like the plague. We can also get together to talk about this...I still have your calendar that you left in the booster seat!
    Jim,

Going to brush, but only the panels for the bottom doors of the two corner hutches before I fab up the four doors. My brother is going to do 99% of the brush painting after I deliver. He supplied me with the primer and paint, but I think it's acrylic latex. Haven't opened it yet so maybe, if it's not the right stuff, they can take it back for an exchange. Acrylic latex brushed on won't do the trick huh? That is as far as sticking?

Fred, The current WOOD magazine has an article by Jeff Jewitt that addresses this and other project painting. You may want to check it out. HTH, Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Fred, The current WOOD magazine has an article by Jeff Jewitt that addresses this and other project painting. You may want to check it out. HTH, Bill
    Anthony, that must be where I read it. I could have sworn that I read it in either Wood or Woodworkers Journal. I took a quick scan through both of them, but didn't notice. I'll look again. Thanks, that must be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    Anthony, that must be where I read it. I could have sworn that I read it in either Wood or Woodworkers Journal. I took a quick scan through both of them, but didn't notice. I'll look again. Thanks, that must be it.
    Hey Fred, It is the February/March 2006 and Jeff Jewitt is on the cover finishing a chimney cupboard. Never knew such a thing existed until now. The article is on page 50. Good Luck, Bill

Fred,

Sherwin-Williams' Pro-Classic Waterborne Enamel is a very "blocking"-resistant paint. It is mildy sandable in a day (an indication of blocking-resistance). My only complaint with it is that its sheen is less than advertised. That is, if it's labeled "gloss", it's more of a semi-gloss, "semi-gloss" is more like an eggshell or satin, etc. This paint has excellent self-leveling qualities, so looks good whether it's brushed, rolled or sprayed (if I roll it on trim or casework, I usually also "back-brush" it).

Don't have too much fun!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore