Thread: Finishes for Pyrography?

Finishes for Pyrography?

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a finish for wood that will seal the wood, not darken it, and not yellow after time? I may also paint certain parts of the piece so the finish should also not affect the paint colour.

Here is an example of my pyrography. I may still add a bit of colour but haven't made up my mind on that yet:

http://www.woodburner.com/photoalbum...&orderby=dateD

I have a can of Chapman's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish and have tested it on a scrap piece but it darkened the wood quite a bit. Although it says it takes a while to dry so am not sure if it will stay darker or lighten when it is completely dried.

I may actually use the beeswax to my advantage if it does stay darker (just do certain areas) but then I would need the finish to seal that as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

A clear water-bourne acrylic finish will probably suite your needs. Anything oil based will cause some yellow/amber toning. Some lacquers are clear/white, too. (Try Deft in the spray can)

Do understand that the wood itself will darken/yellow/amber over time due to oxidation and UV. Nature of the beast, quite literally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by James Farrow
    Hi!

Can anyone recommend a finish for wood that will seal the wood, not darken it, and not yellow after time? I may also paint certain parts of the piece so the finish should also not affect the paint colour.

Here is an example of my pyrography. I may still add a bit of colour but haven't made up my mind on that yet:

http://www.woodburner.com/photoalbum...&orderby=dateD

I have a can of Chapman's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish and have tested it on a scrap piece but it darkened the wood quite a bit. Although it says it takes a while to dry so am not sure if it will stay darker or lighten when it is completely dried.

I may actually use the beeswax to my advantage if it does stay darker (just do certain areas) but then I would need the finish to seal that as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James
    For our woodburnings, we use one of two things. Either a waterborne polyurethane (as JB mentioned) or, easiest of all, spray on one of the clear fixatives that come in a spray can and you should be able to pick up anywhere that sells craft items. This will, in my opinion, give you the best finish as it is absolutely neutral and nonglossy. I can't recall right off the top of my head the brand name of any of the fixatives but they are used to seal many different types of things, even such as charcoal drawings on paper.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Thanks!

I will check those out.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    Either a waterborne polyurethane (as JB mentioned)
    Well...I didn't use the evil "P" word, but I suppose that would work! (I don't use polyurethane anything unless it's a kitchen table top)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...