Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji or Compressor

Fuji or Compressor

Is anybody, familiar with this paint sprayer?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Im not sure whether I should go with a turbine system or just get a big air compressor, but I really like the portability of the turbine system and I like the look of this model, plus everybody on Amazon gave it 5 stars (though I dont really trust the people who write those reviews on Amazon).

Honestly I really do not want to go with a big AC, because I would like to keep my pistols portable too, for built-ins and what not, so is there any real benefit with going that route or should I just go turbine?

Also what other models of a turbine machine would you recomend?

Allen, that's a good turbine system.

There are advantages to turbine systems and disadvantages. In the former catagory, they are designed for one thing...spraying finishes...and when well-engineered and paired with the right gun, they have very nice reduction of overspray and finish waste. They are also portable. On the down side, they sometimes provide more "heat" in the air than a finishing product might like, resulting in premature drying of the finish. It's something that can be dealt with, however, by using a retarder, etc. The other downside is that if you already have an acceptable compressor for spraying finishes, the turbine systems are quite expensive as compared to a mid-range or even high-end HPLV conversion gun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

allan, there are several gravity fed conversion guns that will run on a smaller (not pancake) compressor. what do you want to accomplish with your system? how often are you going to be using it and for what products. tod

Thanks Jim, thats exactly the type of response I was looking for.

I dont own a compressor at all so the decision I'm trying to make is, do I get a big compressor and loose portabilty or do I get one of those PC nailer/compressor, combos and a turbine. I am leaning towards the turbine and PC combo, but I wanted to know if there were any real benefits (cost excluded) of the big compressor over the turbine system.

Allen

I have the same model Fuji turbine setup. I love it. I have never been confident spraying finishes and when I got bad results was never sure where the error lay - too many variables for my taste. The Fuji is designed as an integrated system, so I know all the components work together. The warmer air flow helps with drying time which is relevant to my application. I don't use it that much but when I do I have no fiddling around. I believe that the expression which ends "...when you prise it from my cold dead hands" would best sum up how I feel about this tool.

Although it is quite a lot of money I think it is excellent value - mine paid for itself on the first job I used it on.

If you do get it invest in the extension whip hose. Makes work a little lighter and makes the mixing air just a little cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    allan, there are several gravity fed conversion guns that will run on a smaller (not pancake) compressor. what do you want to accomplish with your system? how often are you going to be using it and for what products. tod
    Tod , I plan on doing a lot of built-ins and stuff like that. So I need portable nailers at the very least. But I would also like to use the paint sprayer for everything I can, so portability for that would also be a plus.

Really what Im asking is, is there a good reason to choose compressors over turnbine other than price?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Allen

I have the same model Fuji turbine setup. I love it. I have never been confident spraying finishes and when I got bad results was never sure where the error lay - too many variables for my taste. The Fuji is designed as an integrated system, so I know all the components work together. The warmer air flow helps with drying time which is relevant to my application. I don't use it that much but when I do I have no fiddling around. I believe that the expression which ends "...when you prise it from my cold dead hands" would best sum up how I feel about this tool.

Although it is quite a lot of money I think it is excellent value - mine paid for itself on the first job I used it on.

If you do get it invest in the extension whip hose. Makes work a little lighter and makes the mixing air just a little cooler.
    Thanks Ian, that was very helpful, I am leaning towards this system anyway, but I just like to make informed decisions. I dont like to regret my purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Allen

I have the same set up and everything Ian said I have to agree with

I just ordered the Asturo Eco/SSP from Jeff at homesteadfinishing.com. I want to shoot Target Coatings so he set me up properly with pressure pot and needle/nozzle.

I read in some other forums where they were running this gun and similar cfm requirement guns from a twin stack compressor. Great for me. That's what I use in the shop and when I go to install. I don't do this as a pro so my biggest finishing jobs might require me to shoot 1/2 gallon at most - conjecture since I've only thus far sprayed shellac with a touch-up gun I have.

From the pictures I've seen, the 4 stage turbine units aren't exactly small so their portability may not be any better than a portable compressor....though I suspect they don't weigh as much.

You might call Jeff and talk to him. I don't think he'll pressure you to a conversion hvlp because he doesn't sell the Fuji. I was set to get a $30 in-line water filter. He told me to pass because I'm shooting water-based and I'd only need an in-line water filter if it is really really humid. I'd wager his margin is pretty good on the accessories so that speaks good for his honesty.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Fuji

I recently got the Q3 pro version of this system and am shooting Target Coatings water based products. So far I am very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    - From the pictures I've seen, the 4 stage turbine units aren't exactly small so their portability may not be any better than a portable compressor....though I suspect they don't weigh as much.
    Turbine box is about 15in square from memory - I would guess the weight at around 15lb. Major factor for me is noise. Turbine makes a noise kinda like a hairdryer/small vacuum cleaner. It is in a range where it is bearable. I always think compressor noise is one of the most obtrusive - mine always sound like a bag of hammers being thrown around and when it is working hard it wears me out real quick.

I also have the Q4 system. The Q stands for quiet and this system is not that quiet so the standard must be pretty loud. It is expansive but works great. As Ian said, make sure you get the whip, it is difficult to use without. Also if you plan on shooting heavy material, purchase a #5 or #6 tip.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    Tod , I plan on doing a lot of built-ins and stuff like that. So I need portable nailers at the very least. But I would also like to use the paint sprayer for everything I can, so portability for that would also be a plus.

Really what Im asking is, is there a good reason to choose compressors over turnbine other than price?
    allan, when dissregarding price the conversion guns available atomize finishes better than the turbine driven guns. the paint industry as a whole has never accepted turbine equipment for this reason. there are several good gravity fed guns on the market that will run off of the 17gal quincy jobsite compressor. i own one of these compressors and it is quiet enough to talk over standing right next to it, not one of the 12k rpm buzzer types, it`s a chugga-chugga cast iron pump. again if money is no object sata makes some of the best finishing equipment on the planet just ask at any body shop. when it comes to spraying finishes hobbiest woodworkers are going to have a different perspective than auto body shops, if you want professional results ask the guys who do it for a living........02 tod

Well Tod, you convinced me to take another look at the conversion systems and now, Im in a worse situation than before. Not only have I been looking at guns and what not Ive been reading whatever I can get my hands on on the subject and it looks like conversion is the way to go.

The good news is that portability will not be sacrificed completely, the bad news is now I have to research a bunch of different crap as opposed to just one package.

I've been researching guns and I did in fact find out that Sata is highly recommended, and I think I might have found the gun that is right for me, but I need to do a lot of compairing and learning before I make a decision.

My problem is finding a good compressor. I was looking at some PC models, but I cant find any to compare it too, any recomendations?

Also, some compressors say oil free, does that mean I dont need an oil/water seperator or do I need it anyway?

I was really into the Q4 until I read on the Fuji site that painting with the #5 or #6 cap systems that there might be some texture. What I am looking for is the best finish possible, portability is secondary, so that turned me off.

Tod as for your statement about money not being an object for me, that is the exact opposite of the truth, money is an definately an object. I dont want to waste any if I dont have to. That is why I am willing to spend a little more in this case to get what I want. Finishing to me, is the most important part of the process and its not something that I want to skimp on.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    Tod as for your statement about money not being an object for me, that is the exact opposite of the truth, money is an definately an object. I dont want to waste any if I dont have to. That is why I am willing to spend a little more in this case to get what I want. Finishing to me, is the most important part of the process and its not something that I want to skimp on.

Not Tod but I've recently been researching this in depth so I'll offer up my take on the information I was able to find.

There is no best gun for all finishes. If you use primary one type of finish, then you need to look at the guns that work best for that finish.

What finish do you use or plan on using?

I just ordered an Asturo ECO/SSP from Jeff Jewitt. I'm wanting to spray water-based finishes - Target Coatings and/or Fuhr - on furniture. I only have a small twin stack compressor from Porter Cable. Because of the combination of the relatively low cfm requirements of the ECO/SSP AND my need for spraying only every now and then and single pieces of furniture at a time....that gun makes sense for me. I'm already hooked on conversion hvlp from using a small touch up gun - the Walcom STM.

IF I needed to spray more often, I'd probably get a turbine unit - the Fuji Q4Pro or similar.

One work around for infrequent spraying is to get a 10 gallon or so air tank and put that into the compressed air system....it gives a 'buffer' of air volume to allow you to spray for longer periods of time. IIRC, one or more fellows on Taunton's forum reported they had good success with a low cfm conversion gun doing this.

I understand about the money thing. I've wasted too much $$$ on cheap tools....only to try and sell them for a loss or give them away and then spend the dinero on a high quality/high price tag tool. I'd probably be ahead a few thousand dollars if I'd just bucked up the big bucks right from the get-go!
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....