Thread: what type of joinery is this?

Question what type of joinery is this?

I'm still a newbie, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does this type of joinery have a special name?

My grandmother has a house full of old Cherry Pennsylvania House furniture from the 50's through the early 70's and almost all of it has this joinery like this on the tops. Basically a glue up of several boards, that is then banded(?) on all 4 sides.

Is the purpose of this to hide the end grain, if so how is the banding attached dado's?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Dan

Hi Dan, most likely it is veneered plywood with a solid wood mitred banding.

If you made the panel out of solid wood, it would have to float in the mitred frame otherwise it would crack or burst the frame as it changed sizes due to humidity changes.

Regards, Rod.

And, to the question of joinery, it could be joined in any number of ways, but a tounge/groove or spline would be two likely candidates. The miters may be splined as well, although on factory made furniture, it could be dowels, etc. Hard to tell.

Unless you intend to use some plywood or composite for the panel, as Rod says, do not try this! The result will not be good. Depending on the size of the panel, with solid stock, you would need to leave a pretty good bit of room for movement.

Thanks guys, the thought that is was plywood completely escaped me.
    -Dan

You can buy those little rubber Space Balls from Woodcraft. You make your grooves too deep,so the panel can expand.Put the little balls in the grooves to keep the loose panel from rattling.I haven't used them,but they might be useful. Generally,one little brad in the center of the top and bottom of the center panel is used to keep the panel from sliding around.

i use the barrel spacers from rcrubber for panels. a bit easier to position than the ball ones.

and yeah they work fine.

Anyone just try foam backer rod? Its super cheap and comes in rolls.. Could just be stuffed in.

I simply put a dab of glue in the center of the panel, top and bottom, and center the panel in the frame.

That way it stays centered as it changes sizes..........Rod.

For "space balls", get a tube of silicon caulking...lay several lines on some wax paper...let cure...cut it up with scissors...now you have "shop-made" space balls.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.