Thread: Balboa Glass Install with crane

Balboa Glass Install with crane

It is no wonder why hillside construction is expensive....nothing is standard....access is difficult... Architects don't spec normal size windows...they want big windows...12 ' x 12'! Today we set some glass...one 12' panel broke ...all else went well...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

More pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

i`m glad it`s you doing that and not me! just taking a wild guess here, about 600# for the panels you show? argon filled and tempered, low-e coating? i`ve built 4x8 wood framed windows and sweated just delivering them to the lumberyard i can immagine your stress level dealing with those monsters! nice work mark.

Whew!!! Tell ya what, my heart would be in a big lump right smack dab in the middle of my throat until the last pane was set!!! Yup, quite the undertaking, but man, wouldya' just look at that view!!!! (No, I'm never gonna' quit yapping about that!!! ) BTW, just curious: Who gets to "eat" the cost of the broken 12x12 pane???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Whew!!! Tell ya what, my heart would be in a big lump right smack dab in the middle of my throat until the last pane was set!!! Yup, quite the undertaking, but man, wouldya' just look at that view!!!! (No, I'm never gonna' quit yapping about that!!! ) BTW, just curious: Who gets to "eat" the cost of the broken 12x12 pane???
    I guess my buddies Harry and Gary of A better Glass are chewing it. And a $650 dollar crane minimium on top of the cost. Sad thing is they had it installed in the frame and wanted to move it just a touch....an edge caught on the frame and it exploded! The windows are just under $100,000 on the project...so I don't feel like kicking in any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I guess my buddies Harry and Gary of A better Glass are chewing it. And a $650 dollar crane minimium on top of the cost. Sad thing is they had it installed in the frame and wanted to move it just a touch....an edge caught on the frame and it exploded! The windows are just under $100,000 on the project...so I don't feel like kicking in any more.
    Hmmmm...Maybe you should pass them the ketchup!!! 100K$$$??? Man, now that's a lot of cabbage! Yeah, I guess the old real estate thing about "paying for the view" is definitely non-fictional! Good luck on the rest of the glass!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow quite an effort to install some glass!! This is quite the project!

It is all going to be worth it though for the view!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

WOW Mark, that project is really coming along-- Thanks for the arm-chair picture view of the program. It is really interesting as it progresses. We all dream about a house like that, but never really know the work and costs involved.
    Jerry

Mark, same glass as in your house?? Very nice stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had been wondering when you were going to post some more on this project. Impressive on the glass, but where are the cabinet pictures?