Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your shop built tools!!!!

Show me your shop built tools!!!!

As some of you read a few days ago i am getting my homework done to build a drum sander and that got me thinking. What else can you build. Something about build a tool rather than buying it always excites me. I would like to see all of your shop built tools. I am hoping by the time this post dies i will have another 10 projects to build .

Josh

Josh, don't have any pics right now but will try tonight. My computer ability is very low don't know if I can get them on or not. I have built an oscilating spindle sander and a oscilating edge sander. The spindle sander was built before all the import and bench tools came out and the cheapest thing I could find was around $1800. It's all wood and not pretty but get's the job done. On the edge sander I put a little more effort in to. All steel except the tables. I bought a used stroke sander at an auction and ended up with a bunch of 6'x 123" belts and could'nt find a sander they fit except an older delta and I could'nt find one of them and they didn't oscillate. I also built my own band sawmill. I am thinking of a drum or preferably a wide belt now. Just too many irons in the fire!

3. Hi Josh, does this count even though it's a non-plug tool?

Here is a little tool I threw together to solve a problem before I got my hofmann shaper.

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot466.shtml
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

okay you asked for it.....
    MVC-140S.JPG
    home made 48" radial arm
    MVC-142S.JPG
    home made 6x48 12" disc sander
    MVC-143S.JPG
    home made profile grinder
    MVC-144S.JPG
    home made panel router and home made dust collector in backround....just so you know josh, i bought my widebelt.....02 tod

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    okay you asked for it.....
    MVC-140S.JPG
    home made 48" radial arm
    MVC-142S.JPG
    home made 6x48 12" disc sander
    MVC-143S.JPG
    home made profile grinder
    MVC-144S.JPG
    home made panel router and home made dust collector in backround....just so you know josh, i bought my widebelt.....02 tod
    Tod, you never fail to amaze me!!! Way cool, my friend!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Tod, you never fail to amaze me!!! Way cool, my friend!!!
    john, next toy on the adgenda is converting a matting cutter to carry a router for cutting perfect ellipses. if you go back to kieths thread about the shopfox w&h clone you`ll see the eliptical jig i built for the w&h too. mike that`s a beautiful back saw!tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 01-19-2006 at 1:32 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Wow!!
    Love that Hill Billi power!!! Too nice Tod.
    Fabulous tailess wonder too Mike.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Wow!!
    Love that Hill Billi power!!! Too nice Tod.
    Fabulous tailess wonder too Mike.
    No doubt! If I had the skills to do what either of those two have done, I wouldn't be spending so much time online!
    Hey Mike, is that completely from "scratch" or is the blade canibalized from somewhere else? Regardless, that's beautiful! I'd love to have something like that for hand cut DT's!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mike----That's one fine cordless saw
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

Tod, your shop is obviously a *very* special place, thanks for sharing! I'd love to see and hear more if you have time. If memory serves I read in the archives somewhere that curved work is your specialty?

I've built a few tools over the years but they are long gone so I guess it never happened. Highlights, a 8' stroke sander made from birch and combine parts. Two station pneumatic case clamp, mostly recycled aluminum and unistrit. Pneumatic glue applicator, that was very handy. An Elu plate joiner with pneumatic clamping and actuation, flip stop etc. It rotated 90 degrees so one could do edge and face cuts. A 32mm line bore, single spindle with pneumatic table positioning, clamping and actuation. Not great but it beat the crap out of a hand drill and guides. :P

Anyway you rawk Tod.. carry on!

Wow nicely built shop tools. Very nice hand saw!!!!!! Hey tod being the newbie that i am i don't know what some of those tools are used for. Like that profiler. What is that? I know what everything else is. Also what do you use the panel router for? Thanks for posting some pics. Keep them coming!

josh, a profile grinder grinds knifes to make mouldings, a panel router is used to plow dados, make dentil moulding etc. tod

Still working on this picture thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stroke Sander

About 20 years or so ago, Fine Woodworking ran an article about a shop built stroke sander. I applied some of the ideas from the article and built it to suit my needs. I lagged 3 brackets to the wall and bolted two long angles to form the frame of the sander. Some pillow blocks, 3/4" shafts, a 1 hp motor make up the rest of it. I turned the 8" diameter drums (glued up, hollow pine) in place after mounting them to the shafts. The tracking adjustment roller is on a shaft that pivots and is held in place and adjusted with a screw knob. The table rolls in and out 24" and can be adjusted up and down 5". I've used this sander for 20 years and it works great. Tracking is very accurate. The belt is 6" x 169".
    I wish had cleaned it up before I took these photos, but I guess we all know what sawdust is.

Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio