Thread: Grizzly 8" jointers

Grizzly 8" jointers

I am going to buy an 8" jointer. I just got the new Grizzly catalog and I am really back forth on their two 8" jointer's. Price is not much different if you factor in the mobile base with the G0586 vs the G0490.

One thing did catch my eye. The G0586 weights in at 558 (shipping weight) vs the more expensive G0490 which weights in at 461 shipping weight. I know that weight it does not mean much toward quality but it does puzzles me.

Looks like both of them are new machines too? Just really undecided as to which one. Any owner out there?

I understand (from Grizzly) that the G0586 is an updated version of the G0500, a very popular and well thought of 8" jointer.

The G0490 is (I've heard) a clone of the Delta DJ-20 jointer.

I've been puzzled by the weight discrepancies myself. Actually, on the website, the G0586 is listed as 480#, the G0490 lists as 461# (as you mentioned), and the G0593 (which is just the G0586 with a spiral cutterhead) lists as 558#. I've mentioned this in a post or two and it's still a mystery to me.

As an aside, I saw in the catalog the new 12" "Ultimate Extreme" jointer. If it's the "Ultimate Extreme" (80" bed length), shouldn't it have a longer bed than just the "Extreme" 10" (84" bed length)? Seems like they're getting a little carried away with this "Ultimate" and "Extreme" thing.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 01-21-2006 at 1:43 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    I understand (from Grizzly) that the G0586 is an updated version of the G0500, a very popular and well thought of 8" jointer.

The G0490 is (I've heard) a clone of the Delta DJ-20 jointer.

I've been puzzled by the weight discrepancies myself. Actually, on the website, the G0586 is listed as 480#, the G0490 lists as 461# (as you mentioned), and the G0593 (which is just the G0586 with a spiral cutterhead) lists as 558#. I've mentioned this in a post or two and it's still a mystery to me.
    Wow that is one heavy cutterhead

I have the G0490 on order. I downloaded the manual a couple of days ago. It lists the shipping weight at 600# with a net weight of 509#.

Howard

According the the President of Grizzly, Inc. on another forum:

"weights are within a five pounds of each other. 558 lbs is the correct shipping weight for both units."

I've go the G0586 and really like it but had I known about the G0490 before I ordered I would have bought it for the simple reasons that its a parallelogram bed, 3HP vs. 2 and has a built in mobile base. As mentioned by time you ad the mobile base to the 0586 it's virutally the same price. As for the weights of each lets just say that they're plenty heavy unless you have a mechanical means of lifting them during assembly
    I still really like the model I've got and it does a great job and the price/quality on Griz. machines can't be beat.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

On another forum someone pointed out the weights out of the manuals and they were inline with what you would expect. Catalog is wrong apparently.

I really don't want to wait on the new jointer to come one shore and be the first to get one. While
    jointerare simple there may be bugs in them. But how important is the parrallelagram table? I assume with age the dovetailed tables can sag? Is this a feature worth waiting for? I expect to have this jointer for years and years.