Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blades for DeWalt DW735 Planer

Blades for DeWalt DW735 Planer

It seems that some people have problems with blade life on the DwWalt DW735 planer and others do not. Unfortunately, it looks like I fall on the short blade life side. In doing some research, I found some third party blades at Infinity Cutting Tools http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1111

Does anyone have any experience with these blades? Do they last longer than the stock Dewalt blades?

And finally, are there any reports that DeWalt might have shipped a bunch of DW735's with bad blades? I read the previous thread on the DW735 blades and most people seem not to have problems with the blades. Maybe I just got some bad blades and if I buy a new DeWalt set everything will be fine.

Comments? Recommendations?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-21-2006 at 8:11 PM.

I've got the Dw735 and yes the sharpness of the knives are short-lived in my opinion. I go through probably 2 sets or more a year. Infinity gets pretty high marks on the blades and bits so I would be inclined to give them a try. They're one of very few that have come out with a set to fit the Dewalt.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

I should probally change mine more often (usually when it starts to scream) but yeah it does seem pretty short to me, although I do not have any other planer experience to compare it with. I buy blades at the Grizzly show in the summer, they are usually about $15.00 cheaper then.

I agree with the others, the blade life is way to short. It almost seems they can handle about two medium size projects and they are done. this may be typical with other planers, I don't know sense this was my first. I have heard some good things about Infinity and it might be worth a try. The only thing that comes to mind is that at least the Dewalt blades are double sized for about the same price seen on Infinity.
    Last edited by Brian Triplett; 01-21-2006 at 7:05 PM.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with the problem. I'm going to order the Infinity blades and will report back on how they do. It'll be a while, though, given the ordering time and when the present set of blades give out in my 735.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    It seems that some people have problems with blade life on the DwWalt DW735 planer and others do not. Unfortunately, it looks like I fall on the short blade life side. In doing some research, I found some third party blades at Infinity Cutting Tools http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1111

Does anyone have any experience with these blades? Do they last longer than the stock Dewalt blades?

And finally, are there any reports that DeWalt might have shipped a bunch of DW735's with bad blades? I read the previous thread on the DW735 blades and most people seem not to have problems with the blades. Maybe I just got some bad blades and if I buy a new DeWalt set everything will be fine.

Comments? Recommendations?

Mike
    Are these infinity blades considered disposable too? (i.e. can't be re-sharpened?)

I own the 735 and haven't too concerned about wear. They seem to be holding up quite well. That said, I own the Tormek sharpening system and the planer/jointer knife jig. According to Tomek these "disposable" blades can be sharpened at least once. I intend to find out. My brother-in-law has a set just about ready to be replaced. I am going to use his to see how well this works. I will post the results.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

chocowinity,nc on the south bank of the pamlico river.
    hartville tool also sells 3 double sided hss blades for ~$50 (the same as lowe's charges for DW brand.
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10743 they (HT's blades) last longer but don't meet catalog hype.

An update - I sent an e-mail to DeWalt about the short life of the blades and they're going to send me a new set of blades.

Arthur - Infinity says something about re-sharpening on their web page, but I don't remember exactly what they said. Check the web page reference that I gave at the start of this thread.

Mike

Infinity Knives for DW735

Edited due to my inability to RTFP (read the full post) at 2:00 am.

Redirected: Has anybody purchased the DW735 knives from Infinity?

Jesse
    Last edited by Jesse Espe; 01-10-2007 at 8:06 AM. Reason: Lack of reading comprehension at 2am

Infinity's website mentions "honing." This applies to all disposable blades, not just DW.

You can hone the blades to lengthen their lives but I seriously doubt if you can really re-sharpen (grind and hone) them because thanks to the index pins of the cutter head, (1) you can't grind away too much material and (2) the amount of grinding has to be exactly the same from each blades.

BTW, Scott Whiting, who owns a sharpening service in Arizona, has a Ridgid planer, which, like most if not all current benchtop planers, used double-edged disposable blades. Scott does not re-sharpen his planer blades. He said that if he could mount the DW blades on the grinder at all, he would charge $55 to sharpen a set of DW blades, more than the cost of a new set.

I don't have direct experience with Infinity blades. But for my Delta 22-560, I'm still using the Jesada blades I bought at 50% just before Jesada went under. They do hold an edge better than the stock Delta blade. I don't think it is 4 times better, however.
    Last edited by Hoa Dinh; 01-10-2007 at 2:22 AM.

Hoa, didn't mention, but Scott's prices are excellent too. If he says it isn't practical (to have them sharpened), I believe him. Also, the fact that he did not suggest another brand, distresses me. I keep hoping for another maker to come out with a good set for the Delta. Scott will likely know when they do. He leans toward Amana. They are the best I've used on my OLD Delta jointer. I got them from Scott, btw.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Dinh
    Infinity's website mentions "honing." This applies to all disposable blades, not just DW.

You can hone the blades to lengthen their lives but I seriously doubt if you can really re-sharpen (grind and hone) them because thanks to the index pins of the cutter head, (1) you can't grind away too much material and (2) the amount of grinding has to be exactly the same from each blades.

BTW, Scott Whiting, who owns a sharpening service in Arizona, has a Ridgid planer, which, like most if not all current benchtop planers, used double-edged disposable blades. Scott does not re-sharpen his planer blades. He said that if he could mount the DW blades on the grinder at all, he would charge $55 to sharpen a set of DW blades, more than the cost of a new set.

I don't have direct experience with Infinity blades. But for my Delta 22-560, I'm still using the Jesada blades I bought at 50% just before Jesada went under. They do hold an edge better than the stock Delta blade. I don't think it is 4 times better, however.

Re-sharpen 735 blades.

It’s ironic that this “re-sharpen DeWalt 735 knives” thread would come along now. I just put in a set of blades in my 735 that I had re-sharpened at my local sharpening shop.
    When I picked them up yesterday and looked closely at them the knives seemed to be honed to a finer finish than the factory blades. At least they looked nice and a lot better than when I took them to the shop.
    The real test came when I ran a 8” x 8’ red oak board through several times and it came out nice and smooth. But, wouldn’t you know it, I must have hit something on the first pass and put a very small ‘notch’ in the knives that now shows as a small ridge.
    Anyway, when I measured the thickness, the board was .2000 undersize which makes no sense because it you took metal off the knives, the board should be thicker! (The 3/4" stop must have been a tad off.)
    Anyway, I guess the test of time will be a good indication of how good the re-sharpen job is/was.
    BTW, the cost was $25 to re-sharpen the knives. They charged me only $15 to sharpen my 12” WoodMaster planer blades. I don’t know if it is allowed on the forum, but I can post their website if anyone else is interested in using their service. This is no back garage setup. This company sharpens all the cutter knives for the local papermills.
    Jim

The problem with resharpening double sided knives that index into the machine is that you need to get them EXACT in order to have them match on re-insertion. Over grind one edge and you're cooked. That's why they are generally called "disposable"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi folks,

I just called the guys at Infinity. They saw that the knives were just redesigned and are not available yet. Should be available by the end of this month. They say they have a huge order list already and if you want some, get your name on the list ASAP.

The guy I spoke with says the quality of the steel and the tempering process is much better than OEM knives and they will definitelyout last and out perform the OEM Knives. Infinity recomends honning the face not the bevel with a fine diamond stone when they start to dull.

There is is from the horse's mouth so to speak!

Has anyone ordered a set?

Jonathan