Thread: R4330 Planer problem...help!

R4330 Planer problem...help!

I just bought my first planer, a Ridgid R4330 and have run a few boards through it. After adjusting the infeed/outfeed tables to eliminate the snipe, I ran a few maple and purpleheart boards through the planer without any trouble. The lumber came out looking great and it was smooth as glass.

Last night I went to plane some 4/4 maple. I fed the board into the planer and everything was looking good. Then, the board just stopped. The cutterhead was still going and I'm almost certain the feeders were moving, but the board was "trapped" inside the planer. I cut off the power, raised the cutter and removed the board.

There wasn't any damage to speak of, but the whole thing scared me. Did I do something wrong? My first thought was that I was trying to take off too much material....nope. I had it set at 1/16". Then I thought I hit a knot or something....nope. I'm stumped. Hopefully you guys can shed a little light on this for me.

Thanks!

Cory

Cory,

I have this planer, and while it has never really completely stopped as you describe, mine seems to slow way down as the blades dull (which shouldn't be your problem just yet given how new it is). I've also found that if the rubber rollers - in front of and behind the blades - get a "film" of dust and chips on them, they want to slip and not grab the board as well.

There might also be a film of oil/grease from the factory on the rollers. Try cleaning those and see what happens.

Most recently, I've be planing a lot of hickory - very hard stuff. I've found that I'm having to "help" the boards through with some light, but steady pushing. I don't know if this is proper technique, but it gets the job done. You might try that as well.

Cory -

With this or any other planer, you need to be sure the infeed rollers are clean. I use a damp rag. If you don't have adequate dust/chip removal, the build-up will occur quickly. When dust and chips build up, traction will be lost. I also waxed the bed of the planer and the infeed/outfeed tables to reduce friction.

Sometimes boards just need some help running through the machine.

FYI: I thoroughly cleaned the planer inside and out. I used rubbing alcohol on the feeders and waxed the bed and infeed/outfeed tables. That has resolved the problem.