Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blades for DeWalt DW735 Planer

I ordered a set, they told me the same thing, end of the month. I intend to hone the set that came with my planer originally, just to see if it is possible to squeeze a bit more juice out of them.

As an aside, I got the DW735 to replace my old DW733. The non-resharpenable blades on the 735 are a definite retrograde step from the 733. What a dumb idea! The 733 blades are super easy to register dead even with the great little magnetic system used there. If I had paid enough attention before I bought and learned that the 735 blades were non sharpenable, I never would have bought the 735.

What business does Dewalt think they are in - it's like they are selling us cheap razors and then killing us for the razor blades, or selling us a printer and then screwing us for the rest of our life on the ink refills!

The 735 dust collection is great though, man it just blasts the shavings down the throat of my anemic little 1 hp system connected up to way to much 4" pipe.

Disgruntled Dan.

Blades for DeWalt DW735 Planer

I believe I read on another forum that Freud is trying to come out with some blades for the DW735.

Also went through a lot of knives

I'm surprised folks here can get the DW knives to last as long as they do.

Even with taking light cuts on clean tiger maple (soft maple, but figured), I usually knick them the first or second pass and end up with ridges (which seem to multiply quickly) on all my boards.

The stock knives are crap. In my cabinet project I have gone through a few hundred dollars worth, even using the worn ones for the rough board work.

I wrote a long review up on Amazon last summer:

The DW735 is a great planer, giving you a very smooth finish even on somewhat difficult woods.

Replacing knives is an easy task, especially since you can do everything with the one tool Dewalt provides. Of course, it had better be easy, as you'll be replacing knives a lot.

My only complaint with the DW735 (and it's a big one) is that the knives dull and knick faster than any knives on any tool I have ever used. They are reversable, so you get two uses out of each knife. However, they cannot be sharpened, and as of this writing, there are no third-party manufacturers of replacement knives (or helical cutterheads). You can see the price of knives at Amazon.

I would give the DW735 5 stars if I could get harder wearing knives from a third party or from Dewalt themselves. Note that the carbide knives Dewalt makes for their other planer are not available for the DW735.

When using the 735 to finish a large amount of soft tiger maple, I found I would get a smooth finish on the first board (with fresh knives), a little less on the second, and by the third 6' long, 8" wide board, I would almost certainly have a knick in a blade (which causes a line down the board) and some dulling (which causes tearout). All it takes to knick the blades is a little resin in the wood, a small knot, or just a hard spot. They really are delicate, even when taking extremely light cuts, as I did during finishing.

If you intend to plane a lot of hardwood or figured wood, I'd really think about whether or not the cost of knives is going to be a factor.

I went through three sets of knives roughing 500 board feet of soft maple. I would switch the knives when they got so dull it overworked the motor. Given the surface of the rough boards, I expected to go through a set, but I didn't expect to go through six fresh edges, especially given that the 500 board feet only came down to about 65 6' long boards (they were thick). I have finish planed maybe 20 board feet from that stack, and have already gone through another set (both sides) due to knicks and dulling. I could understand this if I was planing some exotic hardwood, but this is soft tiger maple!

By way of contrast, my original set of knives in my ridgid jointer (also used on all this soft maple) are still going strong, with no knicks and barely any tearout.

I can't help but think Dewalt pulled a Gilette here and planned on a strong revenue stream from expensive and short-lived replacement knives.

One other important point: this planer is HEAVY. If you plan to store it under a cabinet and pull it out to use it, or lug it to job sites, you may want to consider a lighter planer.

If you pick up this planer, I strongly suggest the infeed and outfeed tables. If you plan to plane anyplace where you don't want piles of shavings 10' in front of the planer, I also suggest you either hook up to a cyclone like I did, or get the garbage can topper. The blower does a good job of evacuating chips from the planer, but it really shoots them far.
    (BTW, at the time, I didn't know about Infinity. I'll definitely try them out)

Pete

I absolutely agree with Pete Brown that the stock blades for this planer are crap - expensive crap. If I had it to do ever, I would have bought a 15 inch floor model instead of the 735.

If anyone finds a better set of blades for the 735, please let the rest of us know.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yep, I've had the same experience. Clean wood, not a spec of dirt or a knot in sight, and the quality of cut starts to deteriorate immediately! Within the first few boards little ridges start to appear. To Dewalt's credit, they did send me a new set of knives within a week of my disgruntled email without any hassle, but unfortunately, they aren't performing any better. A glaring flaw in an otherwise good machine. I'll definately be looking into other sources for my next set as well.

Are735 blades the same as 734 blades?

I just ordered a set of infinity Knives. I let folks know haw they work out.

Jonathan

Please do, that'd be much appreciated.

I spoke to Dewalt yesterday (again), and they told me that they are coming out with a new blade in a week or so. It will still be "disposable", but is supposed to be harder and to last longer.
    I swapped email with Infinity yesterday, too. According to them, their blades are also disposable, but are harder than the stock Dewalt. He said they they would last 4 times longer. He also said that you could hone but not sharpen them.
    Grant
    Ottawa

Disregard my previous message. I wrote to DW to ask how I would be able to tell that I was getting the new and improve knives when I buy them. The reply said that he didn't know who I spoke to, but there are no plans at dewalt to make a harder blade.
    I'll be interested to hear how anyone makes out with the infinity blades
    grant

It would seem to me that the Market is ready for a blade that will fit the DW-735, last longer and will have extra material to allow a few sharpenings! Perhaps a little thicker too.

If you remove the exact same amount of material from each blade, then indexing will be the same, and the only adjustments will be in the pre-set depth stops or if you upgraded to a digital read-out, then a re-zeroing.

I should think that a Jet or Tormek plane/jointer blade holder should be able to do the job of removing a set amount of metal from each blade. Perhaps a little modification is required, with the addition of indexing pins to the blade holder.
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 01-25-2007 at 7:01 PM.

The Infinity knives are due to ship next Monday (29th), I should know soon after receiving them. I started with a new edge on my factory DeWalt knives and that are shot (tearing) after 3 light passes on 250 board feet of rough sawn pine. This phase of the project is now on hold until late next week when two sets of Infinity knives make their way to the Pacific Northwest.

I got my 735 planer back from the shop a few days ago. I brought it in because I thought it had a feed problem. The first and only project I put through it was 10" wide quarter sawn white oak. About 25 feet of it. By the end of the project it would barely feed. The certified Dewalt tech could not figure out the problem. He checked all the service bulletins and was stumped. Called the factory, they had no clue..... and then he finally checked the blades. He said the blades were shot! It never crossed my mind that the blades could be dull after one small project. He flipped them and it cuts perfectly now. I think I will have a few sets on hand from now on. I look forward to hear from anyone who uses the aftermarket blades that are available. Please let us know

Hi Folks,

I just received my knives from Infinity today. I have not installed them yet, as the OEM knives in there now have a bit of life left. I'll let ya all know how they perform after I use them a bit.

Jonathan

How come no one has posted their feedback as to what they think about these infinity blades?