Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blades for DeWalt DW735 Planer

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder View Post
    Hi Folks,

I just received my knives from Infinity today. I have not installed them yet, as the OEM knives in there now have a bit of life left. I'll let ya all know how they perform after I use them a bit.

Jonathan
    I don't know but I am glad to know I am not the only one beating my head against the wall with this planner. I anxiously await a response.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    An update - I sent an e-mail to DeWalt about the short life of the blades and they're going to send me a new set of blades.
    Ah, good. Beat me to it. I was going to post that it seems they have done this for others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since I started this thread, I'll post my experience. I received a new set of blades from DeWalt and installed them in my 735 and they have lasted quite a bit longer than the original blades that were in it. I just changed out that set of blades about a week ago. I don't use the planer that much, since I don't do that much stock preparation, but I'm satisfied with the new DeWalt blades. I'll have to see what service I get on this third set of blades.

I'd still like to hear anyone's experience with the Infinity blades.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Larru View Post
    I don't know but I am glad to know I am not the only one beating my head against the wall with this planner. I anxiously await a response.
    I did a search on the infinity blades and there's a set for a little under $200 that are supposed to last 10X longer than OEM replacements. I am almost tempted to buy them but can't bring myself to spend that much for blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Cox View Post
    I did a search on the infinity blades and there's a set for a little under $200 that are supposed to last 10X longer than OEM replacements. I am almost tempted to buy them but can't bring myself to spend that much for blades.
    That set has a (only one) carbide edge and Infinity sells it for $250. They also have a HSS set for about $80.

You can see both sets here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well Mike how did the infinity blades work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Cox View Post
    Well Mike how did the infinity blades work for you?
    I didn't buy the Infinity blades. I got a new set from DeWalt free and those blades have lasted much longer than the initial set I had in the planer.

Read post #33 in this thread.

Mike

Mike the ones that didn't last long, where they original?

I have always wondered if the planer actually shipped with hss knives. I inherited my 735, so I don't have the box it came in, but the owners manual says nothing about hss. The only place I have ever seen "hss" was on the replacement blade package.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    Mike the ones that didn't last long, where they original?

I have always wondered if the planer actually shipped with hss knives. I inherited my 735, so I don't have the box it came in, but the owners manual says nothing about hss. The only place I have ever seen "hss" was on the replacement blade package.
    I bought the planer used but the guy I bought it from had hardly used it (he upgraded to a floor model), so I'm pretty sure the knives were original. I talked with him about the knives and he claimed he had not reversed the blades.

I never thought they might not be HSS - I just figured DeWalt might have had a bad batch of blades and that's why they were so easy in giving a free replacement.

I really trust the guy I bought the planer from so I don't think he was fibbing. And he had no real reason to misrepresent the situation to me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.