Thread: Oak nightstand

Oak nightstand

My wife has been asking for a nightstand for some time now, I had some materials left over from the curio that I completed just before Christmas and thought it would fit the bill just fine.

I used golden oak stain to try to closely match the oak bed, and gave it 4 coats of satin polyurethane. She is happy and I've earned some brownie points!

I'm not sure why, but she had been saving the drawer handle for a while since it belonged to her late Grandmother, so I used it to give a little extra special meaning for her. Actually there were 3 handles she has held onto, so I think I will make another identical nightstand for my side of the bed.

Nothing wrong there. Looks real good.
    I like how the face frame wraps the corners of the drawer. Is that a common thing? I have not noticed it on any other pieces, or maybe I just wasn't looking that close at them.

OAK???? Nightstand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    My wife has been asking for a nightstand for some time now, I had some materials left over from the curio that I completed just before Christmas and thought it would fit the bill just fine.

I used golden oak stain to try to closely match the oak bed, and gave it 4 coats of satin polyurethane. She is happy and I've earned some brownie points!

I'm not sure why, but she had been saving the drawer handle for a while since it belonged to her late Grandmother, so I used it to give a little extra special meaning for her. Actually there were 3 handles she has held onto, so I think I will make another identical nightstand for my side of the bed.
    Just verifying that this is as you said in the title.

Did you run out of ASH.

Sweet looking piece, Steve. And as they say "If momma is happy, everybody can be happy", or something like that.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Very nice work Steve.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Looks Great Steve!! The double arch detail on the bottom adds a touch of elegance.

But the big question is..... What new tool was required to build this thing of beauty????

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Looks Great Steve!! The double arch detail on the bottom adds a touch of elegance.

But the big question is..... What new tool was required to build this thing of beauty????

Brian
    hey brial he used his bronie points up thursday, he came home with an older model mini max shaper: stole right out in frt of me but that s ok i could use it i wanted to. he does nice work and likes doing things for his wonderful wife.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau
    stole right out in frt of me but that s ok i could use it i wanted to.
    Oh yeah...thanks for loading that for me Larry.

Lookin' real good there, Mr. Ash!!! And even better that your bride likes it. Now, the BIG question is: Did you get a chance to use your "new" MM in the building of that piece??? Nice job, Steve.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Now, the BIG question is: Did you get a chance to use your "new" MM in the building of that piece???
    No, I didn't John. I had it almost completely finished by the time I bought the Mini Max....I did get to use Larry a bit on the nightstand though. He does a real nice job sanding shim pieces for the drawer slides on my belt/disc sander. You know, I'm surprised he didn't take partial credit for this project.

I'll be using the MM on my son's kitchen cabinets soon.....and yes Karl, they will be made out of Ash. I have about 700 b.f. that I bought from my friend in Michigans Upper Peninsula. He is a logger up there and also has a sawmill.....works great for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    I have about 700 b.f. that I bought from my friend in Michigans Upper Peninsula. He is a logger up there and also has a sawmill.....works great for me!
    Hey Steve, you wanna' drop some of that Ash off in the mailbox for me? I just need some 8/4, 10" by about 8' long. I just need 8 of them... I wonder if the USPS "Priority Flat Rate" would cover it???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Looking great Steve! The handle really looks great on the peice, the sentimental value makes it that much more special.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"