Thread: Freud FT2000e Router switch problem.

Freud FT2000e Router switch problem.

I have a Freud FT2000e router permanently mounted in a Woodpecker's Plunge Lift in a router table. The router is several years old, but does not have a lot of hours on it. I am a home shop hobbyist. The router switch is starting to act up intermittently, a problem I have heard is somewhat common with this router. The switch is left ON virtually all the time, and power to the router is controlled with an externally mounted switch. Lately I have had to fiddle with the router switch to get the router to start. Is there a home shop quick fix, or do I need to take the router to the local Freud Service Station, Arizona Armature. It is a 90 minute round trip to take the router to Arizona Armature. I did try using compressed air to blow out the switch without any disassembly of the router, but that has not resolved the problem - it still refuses to start from time to time. Can you suggest something I can try before taking the router table out of service to get the router fixed? Thanks.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure where you heard that this is a "somewhat common" problem but if you or someone you know can check the switch for continuity and find it is at fault the replacement is quite easy and straight forward.

Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Charles - thanks for your reply. The "somewhat common" comment is the result of having read of a switch problem several times on WW forums.

If you could describe how I should check the switch for continuity, I'm sure I can perform that test. I have a multi-meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M From Freud
    Hi Dave,

I'm not sure where you heard that this is a "somewhat common" problem but if you or someone you know can check the switch for continuity and find it is at fault the replacement is quite easy and straight forward.

Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.
    Cave Creek, AZ

Dave....you might try blowing out the switch. On my old Craftsman TS the switch would fail to operate intermittantly and blowing the sawdust out of it fixed it every time.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Dave....you might try blowing out the switch. On my old Craftsman TS the switch would fail to operate intermittantly and blowing the sawdust out of it fixed it every time.
    Ken - I did blow out the switch without any disassembly of the router. The switch still has intermittent problems, although it seems a bit better. I have had to cycle the switch on and off several times to get the router to start. Once it starts it seems to work for a while. Right now it has decided to work.
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    Charles - thanks for your reply. The "somewhat common" comment is the result of having read of a switch problem several times on WW forums.

If you could describe how I should check the switch for continuity, I'm sure I can perform that test. I have a multi-meter.
    Dave,

I didn't mean to sound testy about your comment. I see it stated occasionally on forums but the problem is actually rare even though for all tools the power switch is the most likely failure. To test the switch with a meter:
    1. Unplug the router
    2. Turn switch to on position
    3. Remove two screws holding top cap on
    4. Remove top cap
    5. Set meter for continuity
    6. Place one probe at the screw holding the white wire to the switch and the other on the corresponding screw directly across from it
    7. Check for reading
    8. Repeat on the black wire terminal and the terminal opposite it

Let me know what you find.

Let me know what you find.
    Charles - The continuity test shows both circuits are 0 ohms - i.e. continuity. I assume that is the reading we want.

The last time I tried the router, last night, it was working properly. I can let you know if it fails again. Thanks.
    Cave Creek, AZ

Dave,

0 is what you are after. PM or email your address and I'll send you a switch to have on hand in case it happens again.

Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

I think this thread is great. Dave got his questions answered and Charles showed that Freud takes care of its customers. What more could you ask for.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Dave,

0 is what you are after. PM or email your address and I'll send you a switch to have on hand in case it happens again.

Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.
    Charles - I emailed you. Thanks for your great customer support.
    Cave Creek, AZ