Thread: Craftsman and Zero-clearance insert

Craftsman and Zero-clearance insert

So I need to make a zero-clearance insert for my table saw. It happens to be a Craftsman, (hey - no comments from the peanut gallery). When I looked at doing that today I noticed that it has only about .220 inches of height between the lip and the top of the table. Less than 1/4" seems like an awfully thin amount of material for an insert made of something other than steel.

So - who else out there has made an insert for a Craftsman and how have you handled it?

From what I understand, your Craftsman and my Emerson made Ridgid take the same ZCI's. I made one from some 50 year old redwood I got from a remodel. I planed it to the exact thickness. I drilled and tapped a second screw hole on the back end of the ZCI opening to hold it in place. It works great but it was alot of work (for my first one). When I recently bought a ZCI that was on sale for $12 or $13 I saw how they should be made. It can be made thicker with a rabbet around the edge to fit down flush.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I use some leftover laminate flooring to make ZCI's for my Craftsman TS. I route a rabbet around the bottom edge to make it flush with the tabletop, drill a screw hole for the front holddown and CA glue a thin Maple strip to the underside of the back. Works great.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries

Zero Clearnce inserts

I used to use luan plywood from the home centers. It is the perfect thickness. I would cut the insert to size and then glue a 3/4" square piece of stock 8-10" long on the back side near the blade for added support. Use the screw for a hold down. The Luan will flex once you cut through it without the support stick. I never needed a rear support or clip once I had cut through the insert the first time. I use a push stick to hold down the back end for the first cut.

A friend here at work made me an aluminum insert with replaceable wood inserts that works much better. I still use the luan ones for zero clearance dado inserts and also for bevel cut zero clearnace inserts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute