Thread: Protecting painted sign

Protecting painted sign

Everyone,

For our business we have painted up some signs that we are going to put on a model shed. We painted them using white outdoor paint as a background with red letters. The red letters are also outdoor paint.

Is there anything else that we can do to help keep the wood from rotting or the color fading? They are a real pain to paint the letters and if we can put a uv protectant finish on them, over the letters, it would be worth it!

Thanks in advance!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

jeff, whenever i`ve made outdoor signs i buy colored 1/4" plastic and cut the letters out then glue them to a contrasting plastic backround......02 tod

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    At least prime all sides of the sign.
    It might be easier to replace the sign everytime you repaint your stoarage space..
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Everyone,

For our business we have painted up some signs that we are going to put on a model shed. We painted them using white outdoor paint as a background with red letters. The red letters are also outdoor paint.

Is there anything else that we can do to help keep the wood from rotting or the color fading? They are a real pain to paint the letters and if we can put a uv protectant finish on them, over the letters, it would be worth it!

Thanks in advance!!
    Jeff

First I want to say what I'm going to suggest might not be compatible to spray over the paint you have used on the sign. Spraying one type of finish over a different kind of finish is not always compatible.

If I was going to paint a wood sign for outdoors I would have used automotive paint. I would have used one brand of paint system made to be used together. I would have used this system for the primer, all the colors and the final clear coat over the sign(I would have painted all sides of the sign also). After the sign had dried for several days(30 days is perfect) I would put some wax over the finish before hanging it up outside. This would make a sign that would last several years and the colors would not fade for several years(each color fades at a different rate of speed). This is the same way I have painted wood guitar bodies and necks. Many wood products are finished with automotive paint.

So my suggestion is to spray an automotive clear coat over the sign because this type of paint is made to hold up for years outside in the weather, but like I said it might not be compatible with what you have already painted the sign with. Read the paint labels on the paint you used because they usually recommend what you can use with that paint. If that does not work call or e-mail the paint manufacturer and ask them what they suggest to use over the paint.

A couple of months ago Fine Woodworking had a great article on finishing chairs for outdoor use with paint made for the boat industry. I have not tried the specific brand of paint in that article, but it has to be an extremely tough finish for outdoor use.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks for the help guys!!

As I told my mom, "we won't ever do that again"!! We have about 20 combined hours in the project which isn't bad when starting out, but if we need to replace the signs the business is doing well enough to invest in some higher quality signage

I am going to look for some automotive clear coat and I can try it on the backs of the signs to see how it does.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I make signs for a living....

But will rarely do an outdoor sign. Aluminum and plastic is the best for outdoor use. You would have been better off using a metal blank and have vinyl copy for the wording. It usually lasts five to seven years. Good thing you chose red, it fades faster than any other color You can use a clear urethane with a uv protector for pretty good results. Warning. Some automotive products will attack what you already have painted. I'd test it first.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks for the help guys!!

As I told my mom, "we won't ever do that again"!! We have about 20 combined hours in the project which isn't bad when starting out, but if we need to replace the signs the business is doing well enough to invest in some higher quality signage

I am going to look for some automotive clear coat and I can try it on the backs of the signs to see how it does.
    Jeff

An easier way to make signs is visit the local sign shop that will make you(cut out) the size of vinyl words you want and then you just stick them on the sign. This type of lettering is not cheap, but it is easy and professional looking. You could have used a piece of plexiglass for the sign and involved no paint in the process just as an idea.

I have done this many times for different projects. The most recent time I did it was in December of 2005. I went to the sign shop and had my kids names(four of each name) made up for me in 1/2" lettering. I stuck the names in four places on the scooters I bought them for Christmas. I did this so they knew exactly which scooter was theirs and hopefully it would stop any potential fighting. Well it worked, they never have fought over the scooters so it was well worth it to me. Cost was $17.00 for sixteen names in 1/2" size of the custom color I wanted. This type of lettering is very durable out in the weather.

Mike

Yep, we could have done it a different way and gotten a much longer lasting sign. However, we are just starting out and spending $500 or so for signage just isn't in the budger. We would rather spend our time and make a sign that still looks great and may have to be either re-done or replaced next year.. Total cost for 3 signs was $30. Total costs for vinyl lettered vinyl banners was $250, aluminum signs were about $500.
    Jeff Sudmeier

Yep, we could have done it a different way and gotten a much longer lasting sign. However, we are just starting out and spending $500 or so for signage just isn't in the budger. We would rather spend our time and make a sign that still looks great and may have to be either re-done or replaced next year.. Total cost for 3 signs was $30. Total costs for vinyl lettered vinyl banners was $250, aluminum signs were about $500.
    Jeff

I completely understand. Whatever works for the budget. Just spraying clear coat out of a spray can over your signs will probably work just fine and not cost much.

Mike

Jeff,
    Many years ago I made quite a few outdoor signs for around here that were easy to maintain. Freehand route the letters into 2 x 12 stock, stain (or paint) the background, and fill the letters with a contrasting color. It was easy to refresh the letter color every couple years.

Frank