Thread: Pen Blanks....How Big?

1. Pen Blanks....How Big?

I'm getting set to make a firewood run out to my buddy's summer house, right on the beach down in Zushi.

We go deer hunting together, and I try to get down to his summer house (did I say it was right on the beach?) a few times a year, he has a wood burning stove in it that we use in the winter, or the fall if we stay over night, right on the beach, did I say that already...?

Anyway, he takes my cutoffs and such, but lately with the logging going on, I've had a bunch of the wain and stuff from the logs to take him.

I have a few chunks of Sakura here, it has some rot in it, so it will not be any good for bowls, (I think), but I know I can get some pen blanks out of some of it.

I'm thinking just over an inch square and about 8 inches long?

After I cut them up, I'll wax the outside to keep them from drying out too fast.

What say you...?

Cheers!

Most blanks are 5 1/2 by 3/4---a big pen blank is 1 inch sq 6 long----heck PM me and I will send you my address. I ain't ever turn any that wood before.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

What Gary said. I cut mine 1" square just to give me a little wiggle room for when I drill the hole off center!

Dave Fried

4. Thanks guys!

Cheers!

5. Just wanted to share some pics of the soon to be round stuff..........

Pen blanks, they are a bit over 1" thick and some are as long as 12" long
    I've waxed them up, that is why they are some what wet looking.
    In some of the pen blanks there are some pithy, rotten wood, so I don't know how many pens I'll actually get out of them, but it was better than making it fire wood

OK, here is an overview, the pen blanks in the front and the bowels in the back, not to mention the round bark covered could be pens, could be other things, in the background.

Cheers!

Nice looking collection of blanks Stu! Looks like a lot of hours of heaven. Got the lathe yet?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Stu,

That is some mighty fine looking wood you are getting together. Better have gotten a BIG lathe as it looks like you will need an XL

8. Nope, but it is on the way.....

It is an old Craftsman 12" tube bed lathe, I know, I know, but a buddy in the US sent it to me for the cost of the shipping.

This is the same lathe as the Ridgid WL-1200.

Should be good enough to get me going, while I figure out a way to make/beg/borrow/steal something else.

Cheers!

You won't hear me complain about Craftsman. Mine has treated me very well...and will probably continue. Way to go Stu!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

the bowels in the back
    Can't let this one go. Sure don't want those to dry up and I definitely don't want to be around when the bowels are turning.
    As the Bowels Turn - osunds like the name of a soap opera.
    Haven't figured out the quote thing yet.

All I have is a REALLY old craftsman lathe!! It has served me very well.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

12. Well as Ridgid is still selling them in the US, and an Asian company called "Home Tools" has copied this lathe exactly and sells them here in Japan, I think it is a safe bet to say this will get me started, and when you consider what I'm paying for it.......

Like I said, it will do until I get around to building some thing that will be, lets say, just for bowels (got to get to a junkyard to pick up some parts )

Cheers!

Stu, I don't think Ridgid manufactures or sells lathes any longer. AT least that is what their rep told me a few weeks ago.

14. Maybe so, but they still have it on their website.

Cheers!