Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a lot of Dust and Chips with my Festool Router

Creating a lot of Dust and Chips with my Festool Router

Right up at the top of the features that I like about my Festool tools, is the great dust control that they (mostly) provide.

I say "mostly" because in some situations, I can't get adequate chip and dust control with my OF 1400 EQ-Plus router. More than one connector is provided to attach to the shop vac, but sometimes they are just not up to the job.

As an example, last night I was edge routing some door fronts (clamped to my bench) with the large bit shown in the following picture:

Dusty Router -2.JPG

and the 'below the bit' connector was attached to my vacuum. I could not use the 'above the bit' connector because the bit was too wide.

As you can see in the following picture, very little was sucked up:

Dusty Router -1.JPG
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-25-2006 at 4:40 AM.

Frank,
    Two questions for you:
    1) Did you up your hose size to 36mm from the 27mm supplied with the Festool dust extractor?
    2) Could you set your part being routed closer to the bench, thereby drawing less air from below and more from above?

Regards,
    Frank

I think Mark Singer had (has) the same problem with that router???!

Goodness! That makes my PC7529 and Fein vacuum look downright cleanly!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Frank,
    Two questions for you:
    1) Did you up your hose size to 36mm from the 27mm supplied with the Festool dust extractor?
    Yes I did. I found that the larger hose works better in other routing situations -such as routing dados.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    2) Could you set your part being routed closer to the bench, thereby drawing less air from below and more from above?
    Regards,
    Frank
    The door front being routed was just about as close to the edge of the bench as I could get it.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-24-2006 at 10:30 PM.

I have the same router. When edge routing, especially with bits that have a guide bearing, I use the overhead vacuumm attachment (be sure to close the little door) and the base mounted deflector. The mess is pretty well contained.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Snyder
    I have the same router. When edge routing, especially with bits that have a guide bearing, I use the overhead vacuumm attachment (be sure to close the little door) and the base mounted deflector. The mess is pretty well contained.
    First of all Frank, I see that this is your first post, so let me welcome you to Saw Mill Creek.

I also usually use the overhead attachement when edge routing but, in this case, the bit was too large.

I'm with you Frank. I've had mixed results with DC on the OF1400 myself.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Yes I mentioned this some time ago....it really doesn't work well! They sent me additional cups to cut back at angles and in the end....with hoses and all...I would just put on a mask and get it done....Sometimes you need do do your own reviews and just know the facts....If you try to state them all the guys that love whatever brand it is think you don't know what you are doing.... The great stuff...The Festool Rotex 150, The Plunge saw , The 150/3 RO sander are terrific tools....The router with its so so dust collection is smooth...nice ratchet feature on the collet...I don't like the depth step turret.....I don't like the plunge release...and the dust collection is kinda not really there...I do like Bob and the Festool guys! They stand behind their products!
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-25-2006 at 1:04 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks for the welcome, Frank. I didn't realize the size of the bit you were using prevented you from using the other attachments. I've had good luck using the attachments I described previously for smaller ogee-style and roundover bits. Considering your application, would it not make more sense to use a table-mounted router with a DC system?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Snyder
    Thanks for the welcome, Frank. I didn't realize the size of the bit you were using prevented you from using the other attachments. I've had good luck using the attachments I described previously for smaller ogee-style and roundover bits. Considering your application, would it not make more sense to use a table-mounted router with a DC system?
    Yes Frank, it would make more sense. I don't own a router table but I am collecting reasos prop and con to own one. This reason will be added to the pros.

I realized that I was not being completely fair with the example I gave above. The dust collection is much better when the 'above the bit' connector can be used.

better dust collection.JPG

So, I took this picture this morning after doing some edge routing with a 1/2 inch roundover bit. There is some dust on the floor but there was none on me, none on the router, and none that I noticed in the air.

Frank,
    I have the OF2000 Festool router, the dust collection is rather "iffy" on that unit also. I did switch to the larger vac. hose & recently got the lower "shield" attachment (haven't used that yet).

IMHO, dust collection on a router is going to be rather hit or miss. There are variables to deal with such as bit diameter, depth of cut, the cutting geometry of the bit (straight flute, upcut etc.) & rpm's.

When I first got the router I thought the same thing you did, no more chips to sweep up after routing, EVER!!!! This is not the case & I don't think you can buy a router from anyone that will perform that way.

On the other hand my Festool OF2000 is an awesome tool. All the power you could ever want, an extremely good spindle bearing design & good and accurate controls.

Take some time & build yourself a nice router table with good dust collection & a quality fence, you wont regret it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I realized that I was not being completely fair with the example I gave above. The dust collection is much better when the 'above the bit' connector can be used.

It still depends on the bit. Roundovers and chamfers do OK wrt DC. Straight and rabbeting bits aren't as good, but still better than shooting chips 20'. Overall, I don't like using the OF1400 for edge routing because I find it unstable, especially in corners and especially with the DC hose connected. I may build a subbase to try and help with that if I decide to keep the router (more on that later).

For now, I've just received my Bosch back from the service center to get the corroded motor housing replaced. I also just received the optional dust hoods I ordered for it. I was going to sell it, but the OF1400 hasn't proven to be a viable replacement for it. I'll keep trying, but I'll also keep productive by using the Bosch while I fiddle with the 1400. To be fair, I do have a few years of "development time" with the Bosch and would need to do the same with the OF1400.

My favorite feature of the OF1400 is the toolless connections for all the accessories. The Bosch has little knurled screws for everything, and many actually need a screwdriver to keep them from slipping. The depth stop setting mechanism of the 1400 is also fantastic ... that is until you actually try use the horrific turret Mr. Singer mentioned for repetitive operations. Right now, I've ruined a couple parts with that terrible turret and have caught it out of position numerous times. I'm not sure what causes it to move from a correct setting to one of the ghost detents, but it happens often when the router is set down and picked back up for the next operation. I am starting to consider it unacceptable. If I wind up getting rid of the router it will be because of that. I'm also not a fan of the guide rail adapter with the little footie, also unstable. You would think that with their routers being part of their guide rail "system" that Festool would come up with something better than the footie.

I'm hopeful that mfrs. will continue to improve router dust collection. The fact that PC, Dewalt, and Bosch now actually have DC makes me hopeful that the next generation will be better thought out. While the OF1400 probably has the best DC of the bunch, it's not all that. It is toolless, which is great, but the hose connection points make the router even more unstable and often get in the way of jigs, especially with stop blocks that want to contact the router base where the hose connection comes off. I've often run into the problem that you have to be able to use it for it to be useful. I do expect the same problems from the Bosch dust hoods I received.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Ideally, we'd all like to see "outstanding" dust and chip collection when using our routers, but in many respects, these tools are nearly as challenging as the lathe relative to collection simply because they do not consistanty throw material in any one specific direction. We can "deflect" some of that material enough to capture it, but in the end, a lot of dust and chip collection with a router is pure luck. Every single setup and cut is slightly different, too, so results will always be variable. At least with some of these newer tools, we have multiple options for connection relative to chip collection which increases our chance of getting a little more of the stuff than we might have in the past.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...