Thread: Corner hutches are finally done! [pics]

Blog Entries

Corner hutches are finally done! [pics]

Well, after what turned out to be a few weeks more than I anticipated (and not due to my end), the twin corner hutches that I have been putting together for my brother are finally done and will be out of my shop tonight. Seven feet tall and almost two and a half feet wide out from the back corner, they are massive.

Constructed from vintage poplar from Jim Becker's stock of lumber, it also included 3/4" birch ply for 90% of the backs. It has three adjustable shelves for the upper portion of the hutches and the drilling of the holes for same was dead on thanks to the Rockler shelf pin jig. I have used this jig for two or three projects now and I can swear by its accuracy.

One of the more challenging aspects of the job was fabricating the arched topped doors for each. I had never done this and looked forward to the challenge. I went with one of David Marks' methods and used a 3/4" MDF template to route each of the eight identical sections of the top once I figured out the correct proportions to fit the dimensions of the openings. routed a profile and a rabbit into each one and managed to squeeze a face frame biscuit into the ends of each segment and once glued up, they were solid.

I went ahead and painted the raised panel portion of the doors for the lower section of the cabinets. I always prefer to do such a thing with raised panels with the expansion and contraction deal in mind. Trim for the bottoms of the hutches will be applied by my brother since he wants to more or less, tie them in with the rest of the room by using the same trim as the floor trim in the room that he is doing over. He wants them to look as "built-in" as possible.

It was another nice project and one that moved me into some uncharted territory, but I sure am glad that they will be out of the shop since they take up so much room. Now I can get going with some projects that I have had on the back burner for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Nice job Fred, I'm sure they'll look great installed.
    Keel McDonald ><>

They look great, Fred! And I certainly hope that your use of the word "vintage" relative to the wood isn't in the same sense as fine wine...LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fred, they look very nice. Good job.

nice job fred! ain`t curves fun?

Fred,

Nice job! I really like the design.

Nice job, Fred...I also pre stain panels in raised panel construction. Looks good
    Jerry

Fred, those are great looking. Isn't it fun to tackle something new? Can be exasperating at times, but usually the finished product makes it all worth while. I'd say those are well worth the time and effort.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    nice job fred! ain`t curves fun?
    Thanks Tod. I knew going into the project that the curved tops of the upper doors were going to be the big challenge. I had an idea of exactly how I was going to handle every step of constructing them, I just didn't know how it would turn out taking that route. As it turned out, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Yes, I did make about four or five extra curved segments in anticipation of setting up for the depth of the profile and of course for chip out when I was flush trimming the end grain - and I did ruin a few because of that, but all in all, the curved portions of the door frames were not the big buggaboo that I thought that they may be. It was a big relief. I'm actually here on the computer awaiting my brothers arrival so that we can get them to his house - one in each of our trucks.

Nice Job Fred

I really like the curves. Now I hope you can fit them out of your shop door
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Malen
    I really like the curves. Now I hope you can fit them out of your shop door
    The door is easy...it's about 8' wide. It's the stairs down to get to it that present the real work with big pieces for Mr. Fred!! I suggested that when he does the eventual shop expansion that a hoist be included in the new area...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work!!! I like the design & proportions.

If I could offer a suggestion, I would install some low-voltage puck lights in the top to provide some illumination for whatever is on display.

Again, well done!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rider
    Nice work!!! I like the design & proportions.

If I could offer a suggestion, I would install some low-voltage puck lights in the top to provide some illumination for whatever is on display.

Again, well done!
    Dan, I thought of that, but the fact that the three moveable shelves for the top portion are wood, that would negate any benefits of the lights past the top shelf. Now, if my brother ever decides to replace them with glass shelves, the cabinets could always be retrofitted with the lights.

Great looking hutches! Nice work, I like the curves.

Mike

Really nice work Fred. Your brother should be jumping with joy getting those pieces - I know I would be!

Please make sure to get some installed shots, if nothing else for your photo album!

Wes