Thread: Dave A. - boy did you save me some time!

Mike Schwing Guest

Dave A. - boy did you save me some time!

I was asking last month about applying dye and you guys responded with several bits of advice. I used a detail gun and sprayed on alcohol based dye onto curly maple with SUPERB and ASTONISHING results over wiping or brushing it on. I then applied one coat of Watco Natural, and when that dried I took the step you suggested that saved so much time. Namely - applying one coat of Bull's Eye Shellac and then sanding the fuzzies off. Next step is to apply coats of a wiping varnish for the final finish.

Applying that shellac first sealed the wood and varnish build up time was significantly reduced.

I bet it saved me the time of wiping on 4 coats of varnish and waiting overnight for each to dry.

I had to finish the tabletop of this particular project before applying the trim so its not quite ready for prime time, but I'll post pics when ready.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Cool deal, Mike! Glad to have helped, looking forward to the pictures.

Shellac is just the greatest stuff, so many uses.

Dave

Good deal.. I'm glad what Dave said worked out so well for you. It's great to be able to get quick responses to tons of questions... I like to read as many as possible and hearing the feedback on success makes it even better.
    Last edited by Eric Apple - Central IN; 07-21-2003 at 2:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schwing
    I was asking last month about applying dye and you guys responded with several bits of advice. I used a detail gun and sprayed on alcohol based dye onto curly maple with SUPERB and ASTONISHING results over wiping or brushing it on.
    Mike did you wipe down the dye at all after spraying ? I have wiped and sprayed water soluable dye but always have to wipe it dry. With the fast drying time, do you have any buildup of dye with the alchol dye, as with sprayed on oil based stain ?

Gee Mike- Which Dave A

Like Dave Arbuckle, I was glad I too could help. This Dave A thing is getting too confusing and my friends Dave Anderson (Left coast) and Mr Arbuckle in TX and I need to prevent any more Dave As from joining the forum. This could become as confusing as dating identiclaltriplets and just as dangerous. On a serious note, I think your technique was put together from the advice of a bunch of us and this forum really deserves the credit. Without the Creek, you would have had to do alot of extra sanding.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mike Schwing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield
    Mike did you wipe down the dye at all after spraying ? I have wiped and sprayed water soluable dye but always have to wipe it dry. With the fast drying time, do you have any buildup of dye with the alchol dye, as with sprayed on oil based stain ?
    Hi Bobby. No, in fact I was unbelievingly surprised at how well the dye took. I took Dave Anderson's advice and tried to get the dye atomization to the point where it was nearly dry as it contacted the work surface. Since it dried off as soon as it hit, the dye didn't penetrate down very far to muddy up the work as I had been happening with wipe on dye. I was very impressed.

Tonight I'll take pictures of the scraps I wiped the dye on with and the scraps that I sprayed - the difference is staggering.

Oops, wrong Dave A

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    Like Dave Arbuckle, I was glad I too could help. This Dave A thing is getting too confusing and my friends Dave Anderson (Left coast) and Mr Arbuckle in TX and I need to prevent any more Dave As from joining the forum. This could become as confusing as dating identiclaltriplets and just as dangerous.
    For a minute I thought I had finally given somebody some useful advise - but NO, wrong Dave A.

But I have to agree with my East coast namesake and my Texas cousin - Shellac is great stuff. I use it more and more not only as a sealer but as a finish as well.

Glad a couple of Dave A's could help a Dave A look-alike (Mike/Dave Avery), even if it wasn't this Dave A.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson; 07-22-2003 at 4:07 PM.
    Dave Anderson, SoCal - Work Safely!