Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Loud is Your Bandsaw?

Directions on how far from the guides to the blades are often confusing... Many say a few thousandths of an inch...the thickness of a folded dollar bill (or for high end bandsaws, a folded hundred dollar bill). My problem is that a sheet of copy paper is about .004 (four thousandths), a dollar bill is about .006, and a business card is at least .010. So I don't understand people who say "a few thousandths" and then suggest a folded dollar bill (12 is more than a few).

I adjust my saw so that the side bearings are "nervous" - they twich a little as if they are trying to turn when the saw is not cutting, but definitely do not turn continuously. If the blade vibrates enough that the bearings have to be pulled back significantly to avoid turning, you need more tension. The thrust bearing should not touch the blade except when cutting, but as close as possible without touching (dare I say "a few thousandths"?)

If you have a carbide blade, do not file the back of the blade - they are already ground, and that voids the warranty.

Thanks for all the great replies. I decided to really give the bearings a good cleaning. This seems to have fixed the noise. I think there was a build up of the cosmoline in them. I also adjusted the bearings a little differently following what some have said here. It runs extremely quiet now and is also significantly quieter while cutting. Thanks for all the help. And it was a real treat getting a reply from the man at the top of Grizzly.

Jeremy

I was wondering, did your noise problem get fixed?

John

Jeremy,
    Welcome to the Creek! My first house was in E-town right off Radio Rd. which is now named something else since all the houses have been built there!

One thing to add to all the great advice - get a good blade and ditch the OE blade. If you do a search on BS - blades that is - you'll find a lot of good info on the brands and sources. My 14" came with a blade that must have had a bad weld because it thwumped and wobbled - put a Timberwolf on it and it was smooth as silk. Your 17" might have a better blade, but chances are you'll get better performance from a name brand blade.

FWIW,
    Wes

Wes,

You're right, the OEM blade is horrible. I also bought one of Grizzly's blades while I was there and I am not overly impressed with that one either. I am definitely going to get a couple of Timberwolf blades in the near future.

I live on the same end of town as Radio Rd(now Buckingham Blvd.) Its amazing how this town has grown in the last ten years.

Jeremy