Thread: clear finish for decks?

clear finish for decks?

I have just finished installing decking on my front porch. The decking is cypress. I’ve included a couple of pictures. The grain and variation in color looks really good. I know that cypress like most wood will gray with time. I however would like to keep the natural look and maybe highlight the grain patterns. I have been looking at clear finishes for decks. Does anyone have any recommendations for a clear finish? I have been looking at Cabot clear solutions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

Just a little south of you and I use Thompson's water seal on our deck. Put a new surface on 3 years ago and still looks as new today as the day we put it down.... well, close anyhow

Easy to put on and just reapply about once per year.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 01-27-2006 at 6:58 AM.

Don't know much about the finish, but the deck sure looks great. I noticed you haven't sided your house yet. Cypress sure would look good, if you're made of money. LOL
    Keel McDonald ><>

clear finish for decks?

Beautiful deck, I wouldn't think there would be any cypress available at any price around here.

I had good luck with TWP on my cedar deck, lasted two years in the NW wet weather before I had to redo it. It was $25/gallon at a better lumber yard specializing in cedar. Before that on a deck at a previous house I used to use CWF but in the late '80s they changed the formula due to
    environmental issues and it wasn't the same after that.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

John,

You might check out Penofin (with UV blocker). Good stuff, but not cheap. My dad has had it on his ~1000 sq ft Ipe deck in Northwestern PA for 10 years now (with 1 or maybe 2 re-applications) and it hasn't changed color at all from new. http://www.penofin.com/