Thread: Grizzly G0490

Grizzly G0490

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I have been reading many post over the past few months trying to decide on which jointer to buy. I have learned a lot from many of you and I thank all of you. Today I finally decided to go for the Grizzly G0490. I have a few Grizzly machines and have not had any problems with them. I must say that I think Grizzly has really grown over the years and is a really big contender in the tool industry. If anyone out there thinks they can buy a new American made peice of machinary for the home shop I think they would be wrong. Everything is imported!

I downloaded the manual for the 490 as well as the Delta DJ20 manual and as far as I am concerned they are almost the same machine. What sold me on the Grizzly was not only were you getting a DJ 20 clone, but one with a 3 HP motor, a mobile base, 4 knife cuttterhead and the switch above the fence. I haven't seen that on any Deltas and the price for a Grizzly is so much better. I will even have enough left over to put a good chunk towards a new 20" planer.

My only concern is I was planning a trip to Mucy next week to look at one but I found out they won't be in to late February so I ordered it and got on their list. I am a little worried because after reading all the forums, there are many of you who are on the same list. I sure hope that they have enough coming in. So keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks again for all your advice!!

p.s. Can't wait to get to that showroom, my wife is pretty worried about that trip!

Welcome to the Creek, Michael!! And let us know when you get the G0490 in, you know all the dirty little details, with pictures!! I am saving my spiff money this year to get a jointer, and the 490 is at the top of the list at this point. Sure wish I was close enough to one of the showrooms to be able to go see one, but until Mr. Griz decides to put one close to the DFW area, I'll need to rely on your's, and other's, low down on it.
    Congrats, and here's hoping your on the short list! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Welcome to SMC Michael! It's been a while since I've seen the name "Olean, NY". I used to live and work in Bradford, PA a few miles from you in the early 90's. Bought a couple mountain bikes at HoJo's cycle shop in Olean... If I recall, it's cold and snowy there this time of year

Cheers

Welcome Michael. I called Grizzly the other day to ask after the G0490 and was told that they would probbly be getting in the first batch of them in somewhere around the middle of February. The next bunch would be about a month later, so I am told. She said that if I ordered then I would probably get in on the first shipment but, if not, then definately the next. You should order it. Really, go ahead; Order it. We will all help you wait for it. We all will be very excited with you while we all wait for it. C'mon.....hurry up.....call them. They take orders 24 hours a day. C'mon.....CALL!

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Disorbo
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I have been reading many post over the past few months trying to decide on which jointer to buy. I have learned a lot from many of you and I thank all of you. Today I finally decided to go for the Grizzly G0490. I have a few Grizzly machines and have not had any problems with them. I must say that I think Grizzly has really grown over the years and is a really big contender in the tool industry. If anyone out there thinks they can buy a new American made peice of machinary for the home shop I think they would be wrong. Everything is imported!

I downloaded the manual for the 490 as well as the Delta DJ20 manual and as far as I am concerned they are almost the same machine. What sold me on the Grizzly was not only were you getting a DJ 20 clone, but one with a 3 HP motor, a mobile base, 4 knife cuttterhead and the switch above the fence. I haven't seen that on any Deltas and the price for a Grizzly is so much better. I will even have enough left over to put a good chunk towards a new 20" planer.

My only concern is I was planning a trip to Mucy next week to look at one but I found out they won't be in to late February so I ordered it and got on their list. I am a little worried because after reading all the forums, there are many of you who are on the same list. I sure hope that they have enough coming in. So keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks again for all your advice!!

p.s. Can't wait to get to that showroom, my wife is pretty worried about that trip!
    Tell your wife to chill out. Tell her it could be lots worse. After all, someone else won that 6000 pound mattison straight line rip saw yesterday at auction and it needs to be hauled out no later than today! So you have it easy compared to that other guy!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Welcome to the "Creek" Michael. Hope you get the jointer up and running and then let us know how it works.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Welcome to the Creek Michael.

I made the same decision you did, but a bit earlier, still don't know where I am on "the list" but I guess this whole experience is an exercise in patience; not my strong suit!

Jay

Welcome to the Creek Michael! Neat place to exchange information!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome Michael, I too have a 0490 on order. I PM'd Shriaz who is a member of our forum.(Pres of Grizzly) Last week he told me the the shippments were due in the 3rd week of Feb. With many,many backorders. I don't know when you ordered yours but I don't expect is see mine till mid to late March at the soonest.

Grizzly G0490

Thanks for the nice welcome. I ordered the 490 on Friday and the person that I talked to said I would receive one from the first shipment. I sure hope so. I have been wanting to upgrade for sometime now. I am sick of building things only so deep because I have a 6" jointer and a 13" planer. You got to glue up 3 or 4 boards, do a lot of ripping and ruin some nice wood. I decided its time to get a bit bigger, 8" jointer and 20" planer. My father-in-law who is getting up in the years has a ton of equipment, 30"planer, 12" jointer, big table saws you name it hes got it and its all American made from that era when American made was well made. The only problem is that its all industrial grade equipment, to big and heavy and all 3 phase. I wish I had the room. It will be all for sale soon. He just sold a shake shingle cutter that was from the early 1900's. This machine was awesome and did a sweet job. They just don't make them like that anymore!!!

Again, thanks for the welcome and hope we can share some stories over the years to come!!!

Michael

Michael,

Welcome. You have NOTHING to worry about, the trip to PA is a nice drive, and well worth it. The only real concern you or your wife should have is leaving with ONLY the jointer. They have everything in that showroom, and it makes it easy to... well as long as I am here...

Well they have almost everyting in the showroom... they are missing a display model of the 12"... ha ha but if you want to see it, stop by my shop!

Now, lets get down to it here, what type of machines, and when are they possibly going to be sold, is your father in-law in possesion of?

Hope your on the top of that list, and enjoy your new machine. Be sure to update us once you get it up and running. Oh and by the way, when you update... make sure you include PICTURES, I found out it is kind of an unwritten rule on here. ha ha

Grizzly 490

First, hello to my fellow New Yorker and the person who lived in Bradford. As far as the weather goes, it has been strange. They say its been the warmest January in 75 years. We have had a few days below zero and a little snow, but nothing like it used to be in the 1950's and 60's.

As far as the machinery goes, we are hoping to clean the wharehouse out this spring and summer. Everything will have to be picked up locally. There are a ton of machines, and all are very good quality. He has a table saw with a concave blade that will cut huge circles. A neat machine. I will try ot get a list together.

Thanks again!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Disorbo
    I am sick of building things only so deep because I have a 6" jointer and a 13" planer. You got to glue up 3 or 4 boards, do a lot of ripping and ruin some nice wood. I decided its time to get a bit bigger, 8" jointer and 20" planer.

Michael
    Hi Michael and welcome. I'm in the market for a jointer and may very well get the same one. But as one just starting out with this hobby, I'm confused about your comment above--the need for a planer that's bigger than 13" (or for that matter, bigger than your jointer, but they don't seem to make planers that small). Aren't you limited by the width of the piece going through the jointer, unless you make some sort of sled and use the planer as both a jointer and a planer? Other than a more solid machine, what does going from a 13" planer to a 20" planer give you?
    --Rob

Grizzly 490

Right now I have a 6 inch jointer and a 13 inch planer. Say I am building a cabinet. I would have to join 3 boards, rip them to 13 inches and then run them through the planer. Now my cabinet has a depth of 13 inches. If I want a cabinet let's say 15" I am out of luck unless I want to do a glue up and then sand. With my 8" inch jointer I join two 8" boards, run them through the planer and at the most to get my 15" depth rip about an inch off. To me that means less work and less waste. Just seems more logical unless you want to stay with that 13" depth or if you want to use plywood. For me I like all wood cabinets and furniture. I hope you understand my theory.

Michael

I've never done those sort of glue ups--so you're saying that if you rip a wide board into 3 pieces, run them through the jointer and then the planer, and glue them back together, you have to run it through the planer again?