Thread: Hard piping a DC problem

Hard piping a DC problem

Hey all,
    I have a HF DC that I have been quite happy with but now want to connect it to a small hard piped system for my shop. I have a small shop so am planning on using S&D pipe, 4 inch diameter, and run it for about 30 feet. I have encountered some problems while buying the parts.
    1. The inlet on the collector is 5 inches, how do you make a connection to this pipe at this non-standard size? I was thinking of shortening the 5 inch flex hose that comes with the unit and using a short piece from it to transition down to the 4 inch pipe.

2. Where do you find fittings to transition from the S&D pipe to 4 inch DC fittings and parts? Do I need to look at PVC DWV fittings?

My idea is to hard pipe from the DC, up to the ceiling, which is 8 feet high, across the ceiling and down the wall on the other side of the room. I would have a y fitting near the DC and another on the other end.

If anyone has done this or has a link to a SMC thread for it, it would be appreciated. THanks
    "Don't call me a Perfectionist, that's not quite the right word."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Berg
    Hey all,
    I have a HF DC that I have been quite happy with but now want to connect it to a small hard piped system for my shop. I have a small shop so am planning on using S&D pipe, 4 inch diameter, and run it for about 30 feet. I have encountered some problems while buying the parts.
    1. The inlet on the collector is 5 inches, how do you make a connection to this pipe at this non-standard size? I was thinking of shortening the 5 inch flex hose that comes with the unit and using a short piece from it to transition down to the 4 inch pipe.

2. Where do you find fittings to transition from the S&D pipe to 4 inch DC fittings and parts? Do I need to look at PVC DWV fittings?

My idea is to hard pipe from the DC, up to the ceiling, which is 8 feet high, across the ceiling and down the wall on the other side of the room. I would have a y fitting near the DC and another on the other end.

If anyone has done this or has a link to a SMC thread for it, it would be appreciated. THanks
    Several of the catalogs have S&D to "DC" adapters, but I've found that the 4" flex will fit over the S&D, and can be held securely using two hose clamps.

From there, you can use the regular DC fittings.

For a 5" to 4" adapter, look at the galvanized ducting at HD or Lowes, etc. Thay make them in 6 to 5, 6 to 4, and 5 to 4, for under $5 each.

My DC is a Penn State 1200, and I ran two legs of 4" S&D up into the attic of my shop, then across and back down to my tools. I have a 10' ceiling in my shop, so the 'lift' from tool to attic is about 11 feet, and this arrangement works quite well. BTW, I have run a grounding wire through all the plastic pipe - not so much for spark abatement as for the occasionally disturbing/distracting shock when touching a tool after the DC has been running for a few minutes.