Thread: So Far This Year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So Far This Year

Just thought I would share what I have gotten finished this year so far.
    There are 4 of the benchs but I could on get one in the pic---the other three are in the studio/barn. Oh and there is the Pith bowl that just came off the lathe today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary Max; 01-29-2006 at 8:08 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Beauties I tells ya ! Very nice work. haven't had much lathe time this week but it's coming oh it's coming. hopefully before the bomb goes off !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Beautiful Gary. Very nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice array of projects Gary. the benches are cool, what is the wood used on those?

Corey

Wow Gary, you been busy. What's the deal? Are you in the middle of a cedar grove or what? Great looking work.

Ernie

Corey the benches are made from Cedar. They are one of the few products that have stood the test of time---I have been building them for years and they still sell.
    Ernie-----Good cedar is getting harder to come by and the big stuff has really went up in price. Logs over 14 inchs have all but went out of reach for my wallet. They are exporting it to Korea.

7. Very Nice Gary, and the cedar benches look nice too.

We have a dearth of cedar here in Japan, so much so that every year a good percent of the population suffers from a hay-fever like sickness caused by the cedar pollen. My lovely wife is one such afflicted.

You see after WWII the area around Tokyo was pretty much raised, through bombing, fire and by harvesting trees for wood. Some bright guy decided to plant cedar everywhere, as here in Japan it is the most coveted tree for building houses etc., they thought that in 2 or 30 years they would have all this cedar to harvest, so that is all they planted. Well 50 years on now, and the harvest never happened, you see by the time the trees got big enough to harvest, Tokyo had grown to the suburbs, and no one wanted logging going on in there town, and the main reason was it was cheaper to buy cedar for housing etc from outside of Japan that it was to harvest and process it here in Japan.

We went out to a "Farm" for tourists out side of Tokyo yesterday, all along the roads were these HUGE cedar trees, some of them a good 2 feet thick, I was jonesing for my chainsaw big time

I thought it was funny to hear you say that the cedar is going to Korea, there is TONS of it here in Japan, but I fear it will never be harvested.

Sorry, did not mean to hi-jack your thread.

Cheers!

Pretty kick-butt work Gary! You oughta post a pic of your showroom! Nice stuff.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great work there Gary!

John-----the boat is in the middle of the building right now----here's a pic of the mess
    Attached Images Attached Images