Thread: Saw Stop mobile base question

Saw Stop mobile base question

This may have been addressed already, if so, I apologize. For those of you with the 36" saw and mobility, what base did you use? Did you have to retro the base to account for the single leg versus the more traditional two? Thanks.
    Ken

Ken,

Welcome to Sawmill creek!

HTC makes a base specifically for the Sawstop....at least with the 52" fence (about $250). I used a shopfox rated at 700 lbs for mine ( a 52") - half the price for the base and extension base...

A couple guys here have the 36" Sawstop so I'm sure they'll be along soon... You know, I'm not so sure you have to worry about the single leg; it may hold just as well without it on the heavy duty rails that come with the SS fence system (if you got it).....So you might just get away with a main base only. If that's the case, shopfox makes a Super heavy duty base (1100 lbs) you could use for a great price.

Ken, like Roy I have the Shop Fox that is rated at 700lbs. and I did get the extension, but never really got a round to installing it, nor the single leg. Maybe if I had the 52" fence I would do it but I have not found a need for the leg on SS.

Happy cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pywell
    This may have been addressed already, if so, I apologize. For those of you with the 36" saw and mobility, what base did you use? Did you have to retro the base to account for the single leg versus the more traditional two? Thanks.
    Ken
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I bought the HTC base for my SawStop with 52" fence. It worked well but I wasn't happy with 2 fixed casters so I made my own base.

SS mobility

Hi Ken,
    I thought that building a mobile base for my 52" SS would be a good enough excuse to buy a TIG welder but I came to my senses and got the HTC that is specifically made for this saw. It is well made and I can scoot the saw around very easily. At ~~$250+(?) it's a bit spendy but well made. Good luck. John.

Go Seahawks!!

I use the Vega mobile base on my SS. My router table doubles as an extension table, and the router table is on casters. The Vega is very well built, but I can't comment on the Vega extension table accessory.

John, I do not think that it's too late to get that welder... Just tell your significant other that now that you have a good example of mobile base, you want to emulate its craftsmanship with all the future mobile bases you will be making. I would high recommend that you emphasize how much money you can save on future mobile base purchases

Men of the world unite

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    Hi Ken,
    I thought that building a mobile base for my 52" SS would be a good enough excuse to buy a TIG welder but I came to my senses and got the HTC that is specifically made for this saw. It is well made and I can scoot the saw around very easily. At ~~$250+(?) it's a bit spendy but well made. Good luck. John.

Go Seahawks!!

Ken,

I used the mobile base from my Delta contractor's saw (made by delta) with the extension. I had to put 3/4 plywood under the saw because the width of the base was wider than the saw. The extension already had a metal plate that I put the single leg on. It was a little short overall but you can put the leg just about anywhere.

Ok, thanks guys. I'm still figuring out which way I want to go on this, 36 or 52. Your info has been most helpful.
    Ken

Since I have a small shop I ended up going with the 36". If you take a look at the full width its already 69 1/4" wide for the 36" fence and 85 1/4" for the 52" fence. A little too much for my needs... Of course I also have a Guided Saw System so that helps things out as well...

Ok, thanks guys. I'm still figuring out which way I want to go on this, 36 or 52. Your info has been most helpful.
    Ken

Ken
    Ken,

I think I decided on the 52 since it was only $69 difference in price. I figured I could always use the table space. But if you're cramped for space, the 36 will do nicely also - my SS eats up 86 inches longways. Micheal has a good setup with the Sawstop and the Festool??.