Thread: Leigh FMT opinions?

Leigh FMT opinions?

I know everyone has opinions, so I'd like to hear some regarding the Leigh FMT. Right now, I'm working on a design for 8 dining room chairs for my home. The prototype(s) come next and 'm considering getting the jig to help with these as well as the production run.

The chairs will be strongly influenced by the Blacker House dining chairs (Greene & Greene style), so there will be lot's of opportunities for angled M&T joints.

One question I have is how easy is it to mortise both sides of the joint and use a floating tenon? Jig seems to be designed to primarily make both the M and T. I may run across a situation where the angle of the joint and/or grain of the wood may make a floating tenon the better choice to avoid a weak short grain situation. From the descriptions Ive read, the jig seems capable of floating tenon work. Is this correct? If so, is it as quick and painless as using the jig in it's "standard" configuration?

I'm interesed in both specific thoughts as to use as well as overall opinions, so thanks in advance for you're comments.

Regards,

John

My impression of the FMT is very positive after seeing several demos and knowing how positive my experience has been with the D4 dovetail system. I would consider it for my shop if I ever found the need for some kind of production M&T capablity.

Floating tenons are every bit as strong as traditional tenons. If you can manage to get the sockets to the right angles for your project, I don't see any issues with it from a strength standpoint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. I do have the Leigh FMT and am extremely happy with it. I have not used it to do floating tenons but I believe the success there is with the proper angled setup. All in all another quality Leigh product.

I also have the FMT and think it is great. Very easy to use and setup. If you use it to make floating tenions it is probably even easier to use because the mortises are a little easier to cut then the tenions. I just finished a dining table with the side frames being 5' long, this is the only down side of the FMT. On long rails you must find a way to elevate the jig. It is not very easy to use the jig while it is laying on its side.

Richard

I also own the Leigh FMT and really appreciate the quality and ease of use. I have used it for floating tenon joinery, though not at an angle. In my case, I cut a chair frame to length without leaving extra material for the tenon (doh!). The only adustment I had to make between cutting the mortises and loose tenon was to i) insert the tenon guide into the FMT and ii) fully extend the plunge router to maximal depth for cutting the tenons.

Roger

I really do like it. It is quite accurate and can make beautiful mortises and tenons. BUT:

1) if you are planning on doing floating tenons, the FMT is overkill. It could do them but there are self made jigs that can do mortises in both pieces.

2) consider using beadLOCK. They are floating mortises PLUS. Easy to do with just a drill.

3) if you are wanting to look at a FMT review where Jos Beth and I are making a Frank Lloyd Wright barrel chair, here is the first page: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/l-m&t-20.htm

John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

I've had the FMT for about a year now. Don't have a bad thing to say about it. Knocking off M&T's is as easy as can be with it. I've done some floating tenons but only at 90*. Using it in a production run is where it really shines. Once you set it for stock thickness you can fly through the mortices, and another quick set up and your tenons go almost as fast. This is one of those tools that you just don't regret laying out the big bucks for.

Brent

I bought an FMT last summer from my favorite Canadian woodworking supplier and have used it on a number of projects. I haven't used it for floating tenons but it would be easy and is covered in the manual. Angled joints are achieved by simply tilting the face of the jig. I too have some chairs on my list and I'm conviced the FMT will be well suited.

The learning curve has been relatively short and intuitive. Make sure to square the verticle stop when doing tenons (may require a shim). The casting process Leigh uses doesn't provide the type of tolerance needed for this part. Leigh is aware of the issue and sent me a custom fabricated replacement (responsive customer support). In reality it was off by about one "Post-It" note which translates to the joint as noticeable.

The front hold down clamps are a bit of a bear to position sometimes as is the verticle stop. The dust collection is excellent when mortising and works ok on half the tenon cut (the back side). When cutting the front of the tenon the dust spews all over (where an apron).

Unless you want to mess with taking the router on and off each time, plan on dedicating a plunge router to the FMT. Right now I dedicated a DeWalt 621 but that may change.

There are a number of good sources for spiral cutters. I've purchased most of mine from Ballew Saw & Tool. I bought solid carbide but I've read others who say they get good life out of the HSS bits.

I bought the extra guides right away. A bit expensive for what they are but given my varied needs I bought them and have since used at least one of each size.

Overall I'm satified with the FMT. I own a Powermatic 719A mortiser which works great but is now seeing less action (almost none at the moment). Just about everything I have ever built uses M&T construction and with two small children under age two I needed a way to speed up my production. For me the price was justified by the time it saves me.