Thread: HF drill press, should I take it.

HF drill press, should I take it.

I know some of you don't like Harbor Freight, I myself am very selective about what I buy from them (pipe clamps, digital caliper etc.) They are currently advertising this drill press for $39.99, I looked at it a while ago and it looked sturdy, then again my knowledge of WW machines is very limited. On paper a drill press seems like a simple machine, so how bad could this be. Anyone actually used one of these.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Slowest speed is WAY too fast for safe use of larger cutters....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Zahid,
    Up until about a month ago I had used that same drill press for all of my dp needs. While I admit it has limited capacities it has performed without fail. If I only had $40.00 to spend I would surely buy it again.
    Greg

Keeping in mind the caveat that Jim mentions, I'd spend the $40 if I didn't have a drill press. I use my little $100 Delta drill press for a lot of little things that I'd otherwise be trying to do with a hand-held drill. The HF model is limited in capacity, but you could still get a lot of use out of it. At that price, you can afford to toss it in a couple years, or sell it at a yard sale for $20.

- Vaughn

Harbor Freight has a 20% off any single item purchase good thru tomorrow. If you want me to forward the e-mail coupon, PM me your address.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Harbor Freight drill press

I have had that drill press for about 4 years. It isn't very powerful, and the chuck keeps falling off. Maybe if I cleaned the taper and the inside of the chuck it wouldn't, but now I've got a 13" Shop Fox, so I don't bother.

I have a Craftsman that's about the same size. It was my Dad's and I have yet to replace it. It's a good size if you don't have a lot of space.

Someday I'll get a bigger drill press, but right now I honestly don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Harbor Freight has a 20% off any single item purchase good thru tomorrow. If you want me to forward the e-mail coupon, PM me your address.
    Thanks Steve, I've already got that.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I bought one awhile back. Good little drill press for the money. The stoke is too short for drilling pen blanks (I found out very quickly). The one I got had 2 out of the 3 handle holes tapped and threaded so mine only has 2 handles. One thing I really like is that it has a built in holder for the chuck key. I have since replaced it with a larger Delta DP with a longer stroke. I am trying to sell the HF DP locally for $25.

Drill presses are fairly simple machines so the one from HF could get you by. But as Jim mentioned the slowes speed may be too fast depending on what you plan on using the DP for. One time I had the benchtop Delta and needed to use a circle cutter... I think it's slowest speed was 500 RPM maybe 450... Needless to say ... that little guy went back and I saved my pennies for a larger model that gave me the speeds I needed. So deepending on your needs (like only using small diameter bits etc) you could use it. Otherwise I would wait. Best of luck.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood