Thread: Drill press recommendation

Unhappy Drill press recommendation

I have decided to build a Morris Chair. It has approximately 118 mortise and tenon joints with lots of throught tenons. I started cutting mortises with my router, but the cleanup process with my chisel was slow, tedious, and I was prone to screw it up. I can't see myself hand cutting all those mortises so I am looking at a drill press with a mortising attachement. A limited budget mandates that I can't buy a dedicated mortising machine.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. OBTW, I am building the chair out of Red Alder.

suggest you rethink a benchtop mortiser

Tom,
    several ways you can go with this, but I suggest you give some more thought to a dedicated benchtop mortiser, if you are inclined to cut the mortises with auger and chisel.... the drill press add-ons will set you back a few dollars and you have already started to compromise on hold-downs... The Jet and Delta (the newer one) benchtop units both give good results (I have the Delta) and I think you would be happier than with a drill press add-on. Even with a large drill press, I stayed away from that option.
    Other power choices involve various fixtures and jigs for routers, but those aren't my favorites either.
    You already suggested the hand-route isn't for you, so we won't go there, excpet to say that even with machine cut mortises, some hand chisel clean-up is generally required....but, it goes very fast.
    I'm sure others will offer up opions as well...

Roger

Tom,

I think the amount of pressure that I apply with my mortice machine would not be kind to my drill press. Also, there is much more leverage on the mortise machine then most DPs.

Cutting mortises is not a low pressure, just run the chisel in like cutting butter operation. It usually takes note worthy effort.

I don't have direct experience with the DP attachment. But here's what I think anyway: I would do some research on improving the router method or, use forstner bits and a hand chisel with the drill press.

If you want a machine to cut mortises, buy the mortise machine or build the router jigs.

DP attachment vs. Dedicated Mortiser

I've got one of the Drill Press attachments and have not used it much. I found that it doesn't work as well as I expected it to. One big reason is that the shorter handles on the DP don't give you the leverage the single long handle on the dedicated machine does.

A standalone mortiser is $200 (Delta Shopmaster) - $250 (Delta 14-651). The DP attachment is $50-$75. To me, the setup time alone of not messing with my DP would be worth the extra investment.

Rob

The Jet mortiser was on special at Amazon.com a couple of weeks ago for $200 (no shipping). I couldn't resist. It seems to work pretty good. I am looking for a job which needs mortises to justify the purchase.
    The Jet is a low speed unit which keeps down the heat in the cutter assembly a little.
    Lynn J. Sonier

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Howdy Tom,

Drill press mortising attachments are great if you're keen on frustration. They are a pain in the neck on a good day.

I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to say that you are probably better off with the router method but with a twist. Don't square off the mortises, round off the tenons instead. I've got a Delta mortiser and when I want the cleanest mortise I can get, I always reach for a router with an up spiral bit. By the time you do the number of mortises that you have to do you'll be an old hand at it. I hope this helps.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

My friendly drill press mortiser

It is very seldom I get defensive, but you guys that bad mouth drill press mortising attachments listen up.

Yesterday I had 8 front chair legs that needed two mortises each to do. I got out my dp mortise attachment, mounted it, cut the 15 mortises and was finished in less than four hours. Average of 15 minutes each.

Today I had to cut two mortises each in the back legs. I didn't have to set up the attachment, of course, but I cut 20 mortises (2 ea in ten legs)1/2 of which were thru mortises 2-3/4" long by 1-3/4' deep in less than four hours.

My set up is a no-name floor model dp, a no-name mortise attachment (delta rip-off), a harbor Freight positioning vise, and some Veritas sharpening cones (about $10). So I have $109 in the dp (10 years ago) $59 in the mortise attachment, $55 in the vise, $10 in the sharpeners. Total $225. I've seen Lynn's Jet, and I believe he made the right decision for his needs, but unless you can rig up a positioning vise with your dedicated mortiser, I think you're missing a bet. I'll be glad to take pictures for those interested and share some tips I've gotten from others and developed myself. I just can't imagine how a system can beat mine.
    18th century nut --- Carl

check toolking.com they were selling recon delta mortisers at reasonal price not long ago,, l bought the harbor frieght mortiser for 99.00 on sale
    so far it's been running good,,,,,but I don't think you'll be happy with an add on,,,
    there might be another way have you looked at the bead lock system? woodcraft has them as others,,,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    It is very seldom I get defensive, but you guys that bad mouth drill press mortising attachments listen up.

My set up is a no-name floor model dp, a no-name mortise attachment (delta rip-off), a harbor Freight positioning vise, and some Veritas sharpening cones (about $10). So I have $109 in the dp (10 years ago) $59 in the mortise attachment, $55 in the vise, $10 in the sharpeners. Total $225. I've seen Lynn's Jet, and I believe he made the right decision for his needs, but unless you can rig up a positioning vise with your dedicated mortiser, I think you're missing a bet. I'll be glad to take pictures for those interested and share some tips I've gotten from others and developed myself. I just can't imagine how a system can beat mine.
    Glad to hear of your experience, and I don't think sharing that is defensive at all. $225 is about what you spend on a mortise machine and you skip the tear down/put it back together experience when switching jobs. Already having a 10 year old DP would make this look like a better option, and I guess the $59 mortise attachment must have included chisels. Adding the vice to a DP is a great idea, and would be pretty slick on the mortise machine. For my use, I don't have a need to add anything to the mortise machine, it works fine out of the box. Just setup the chisel & fence, cut, turn it off.

one more thought....or maybe two...

Carl - as I said, whatever works best for you is the right solution, and your DP set-up seems to do a great job...just not my cup of tea - but didn't see your post as defensive at all (just fair and balanced, to steal a phrase from one of the networks)

Now, about the Delta, and recon units...
    be aware that there are two Delta models and the newer one is much, much better than the earlier one....the cast iron table, hold downs, and fence adjustment are all superior to the earlier...
    In my opinion, adjustment is easy with the rack and pinion fence that it has (just be sure your chisel is square to the fence)....

Lot's of choices here from hand cut, to DP, dedicated mortisers (including some high end-stuff), and the method used by those before us....mortise chisels.... That said, I have long ago stopped compromising when I invest in tools....I expect to be around for a long time to enjoy and use them, and then to pass them on to others....I find that undersized, underpowered, or in the case of my neander stuff, poor steel and workmanship, only leads to frustration - and woodworking is what I do to get away from frustration..... OK, editorial mode turned off...

Roger

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hello Carl,

I'm glad you got defensive about this topic. It tells me that you are passionate about a procedure that you have come to rely on for its dependability, accuracy and speed. I for one would welcome your pictures of this set up if you have the time to do so.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

I feel obliged to say that if Carl did mortises with a hatchet, they would come out well. I know Carl because I'm always over there bothering him or borrowing something. I didn't get to see the first five chairs in their finished mode but they looked great when I saw them last.!!
    Lynn J. Sonier

You've probably already started on your chairs, but with a little time and some glue-ups, you could avoid cutting mortises altogether by leaving gaps in your glue-up, akin to dentil moulding. Just an idea.

Todd.

Hafta add my 2 cents here.

Well, I had a dp attachment for several years, and it always did the job I wanted it to. Paid around 60.00 for it. But, my drill press was always tied up, always needed it for boring, etc. So about 3 years ago I purchased a Jet mortiser at a show, got them down to $121.00 the last day of the show. Needless to say I brought it home and haven't regretted it. It's there when I need it, and now my drill press is still tied up, as I use it for boring 35mm holes for the euro cup hinges. Ha. All I need now is a dedicated hinge machine, so I can once again free up my drill press. I sold the dp attachment on ebay and got 2/3's my money back after having it for around ten years. Steve