Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: so john hart.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ....BTW....that used straw won't have the same effect as the exotic wood shavings! but it'll make curl your nose!
    Nuthin' a little lacquer won't fix! (hic)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    7K will get you set up in Canadian White quite nicely.
    Yes, but for just over $5K he can get Stubbified, have 30" swing inboard and paint it white like Jack Vessery did...but the name "OnlyWay" was taken at the same time...

Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-02-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Okay, I'll admit it, Jim. Getting Stubbified is a great alternative backup last ditch hell freezes over option.
    Only the Blue Roads

I was thinkin'....just a little bit...There is a pulley system under the floor, shown here. It runs right under the Table Saw, The Jointer, and the Planer
    5.jpg

The pulley system is driven by a diesel engine in the engine room.
    (A tad out of focus)
    6.jpg

The compressor is also in the engine room
    7.jpg

So...Is there a high quality lathe out there that I could run on that pulley system?
    ~john

Now that's a cool idea.

I'm no mechanic, but - if you could rig it up - would a lathe driven by a hydraulic pump get better torque than one powered by pnueumatics?
    Only the Blue Roads

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    .....and a pond full of bass and bluegill
    Now you talkin!!!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yes, but for just over $5K he can get Stubbified, have 30" swing inboard and paint it white like Jack Vessery did...but the name "OnlyWay" was taken at the same time...

I always get jealous when Jim pulls out his stubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Loy Hawes
    I always get jealous when Jim pulls out his stubby.
    Must...resist......cannot.........type............

- Vaughn

just in case your daughter is reading here`s my son last spring.

Ian the Cowboy & Goldie.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    just in case your daughter is reading here`s my son last spring.

Ian the Cowboy & Goldie.JPG
    Tod...you are the spawn of hell.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    ....I'm no mechanic, but - if you could rig it up - would a lathe driven by a hydraulic pump get better torque than one powered by pnueumatics?
    Sure..if you were to run things with hydraulics, there's no compression/elasticity in liquids but there is in air. But this is not a hydraulic, it's engine-driven.
    ~john

So...Is there a high quality lathe out there that I could run on that pulley system?
    john, all of the old patternmakers lathes i`ve seen where run off jack shafts. there are still quite a few around ripe for the picking, some with very long beds and up to 15" over the ways. most are babbit bearing machines but i haven`t ever had trouble out of babbits that are kept under 5k so don`t let that scare you off. my dust collector pump runs babbits and purrs like a kitten. a few years ago i saw an old metal lathe with a 10ft bed and 32" swing sell for 1200$ with chucks and tooling so if you wait and look around there`s deals out there.......now about this equine thing .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

That's what I was hoping for Tod. I have a lathe that serves me well, so I'm going to take my time and look for something along those lines. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Oh...and here's an old Roman phrase: Nos operor non postulo a foetidus equus

Roughly translated: "We don't need no stinking horses!!"
    ~john

That's what I was hoping for Tod. I have a lathe that serves me well, so I'm going to take my time and look for something along those lines. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Oh...and here's an old Roman phrase: Nos operor non postulo a foetidus equus

Roughly translated: "We don't need no stinking horses!!"

glad you translated! at best i have a halting command of the english language. that foreign stuff is only giberish to me. whoa-nelly

15. Geez John, are you going off the grid out there...?

I'd vote for the flat belt and Jack shaft, just to be different, why would you want to buy into the "New Is Better" thing all the time

I'll second the babbit bearing thing, new a guy in Canada that had a babbit bearing bandsaw, never had a problem with it.

Cheers!

.........horses......got....to....get....horses... ..