Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Need Two Bandsaws?

Rob Will Guest

Do I Need Two Bandsaws?

I'm setting up a new shop and would like to consider bandsaws. Generally speaking, how many of you use two bandsaws?....one set up for heavy cuts such as resawing and another, perhaps smaller machine for curves etc.

What are some bandsaw brands that you like?

I would like to limit this to fairly modern machines with really nice blade guides. Need trouble free machines but with good parts availability just in case. Let's use a budget of about $5K for both machines. 3ph power avail.

TIA
    Rob

2. I have a re-saw bandsaw, and it sure works well for resawing, I'd not get rid of it for love or money.

I do need a smaller one, I think a 10" would do me, for cutting curves and stuff.

Do you "Need" two, no, you can get by with one 14" with riser blocks, good blades and a very good tune up, lots of guys do that, and have no problem.

Now if you have the space, and can afford it, yes, two would be the way to go, IMHO.

My resaw is dedicated to just that job, and it simply rocks, it really works well.

Cheers!

Given the choice, the space, and $5K, I'd have a big, serious resaw machine, and a 14" saw set up for doing curves. Bruce Page has the 10" Rikon benchtop to go with his big saw (don't recall what it is) and has spoken well of the Rikon. Others here have mentioned regretting getting rid of their 14" saw when they got their new 20" or 24" machines.

- Vaughn

I've been thinking the same thing. As many of you know, I spend summers in Greece. The woodshops there keep the big iron bandsaws outside to do resaw work. Provides a lot more space inside. They just build a lean-to structure over one side of the building and use that for storage an resawing. Of course, they have great weather for that kind of thing. I would think if you had two saws, the smaller one would probably get more of the work.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I think having 2 would be real handy, one for resawing only and one for the little stuff and curves. I currently have 3 , a Mini Max 16, a ~50 year old Atlas 12" and an old Sears 3 wheel, each setup with different size blades. That little sears saw gets the most use.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

if space is not a concern then I would have 3 band saws
    1 band mill located right outside the shop to process trees and heavy timber resawing
    (norwood )
    1 36-42" older iron saw for heavy work ( yates or moak )
    1 18" for scroll work ( italian mm )

Lou
    Last edited by lou sansone; 02-05-2006 at 6:21 AM.

rob, i`m a two band saw kinda guy. and they both get a work out. the big un` is an mm28 with a 9hp motor and the little un` is an old style mm16 with a 3 1/2hp motor. both are well built machines but i`m fairly certain i`ll cook the 9hp motor in a few years just `cause i beat the big `un. but that`s how i am on tools, most folks would be doing good to make the small one grunt.......02 tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 02-05-2006 at 3:36 PM.
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I have two set up, I resaw almost daily and my 15 year old uses the other to cut out bread knives. I've had the older one for 15 years or so and for what they sell for, two tools are better than one. I have the same set up for Drill press's, one for my and one for the young fellow as they are set up for production to perform a certain task.

Need then no, saves time then yes.

I have one bandsaw. To answer your question, no, you don't need two bs's, although it would be nice. I would like a smaller one for cutting tight curves. Space is the real issue in a home shop.
    Jim

Well even in my small shop I have 2 band-saws one a 14" with riser block & 1 1/2 HP motor & 1/2" blade for re-sawing & rounding out bowels & the other that I had first is a 12" that I keep a 1/4" blade on for curve cutting & anything else, this is the saw that gets the most use & it is right next to the bench & closest to the entry door that may be the reason it get most of the use. I really like having the small saw close to the bench. Then again everything in my shop is close to the bench, its a small shop you know. I am glad I don't need bigger saws like your looking at.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

In many respects, I regret selling my 14" BS when I bought the big iron. It would have been quite convenient to have the smaller machine for scrolling work, both for setup time and because for detail work, the table height of the smaller tool is more convenient. But do I "need" two? No. That said, I may actually add a small 10" or 12" BS to the shop someday just for the fun of it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have 2 a 20" Agazzani for resaw ripping and joint work.....then I have a 14" Jet with a 1/2" 10 tpi joint blade and good fence..for joints and smaller radius work....its a good combimation
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Count me in as a 2 bandsaw shop as well. In a semi-production setting it saves me lots of time. It generally takes me about 20 minutes to change blades and re-adjust guides on the 17" saw. That's why I picked up a Delta 10" when I caught it on close-out at the Blue Borg. I wish I had spent the money on a 14" saw but the 10" has made me a lot of money and saved me tons of time. I will be changing to a more serious second saw soon thought.

I use two. I have a 14" for my resaw and a 10" for small work. Saves a lot of time in that I don't have to change blades much. Works for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The best solution if you can pull it is to have a heavy 15 inch saw for general purpose work. This saw can do 90 percent of most bandsaw jobs. Then you need a biggie. A 30 inch oliver 217 or Yates Y-30 would be a good choice but on the small side. In the 36 inch range, the oliver 416 and yates Y-36 are awsome. But HEAR THIS! A Y-36 snowflake yates is well on its way to tipping the scale at 4000 pounds!

Right now I am seriously pressed for space with some recent changes so I am thinning out a few things. As it stands, I will have to compromise and live with my yates Y-30 for now. So my 15 inch general is looking for a new home. Its truely amazing how space just disappears with a few industrial machines.... O.K. a lot of industrial machines. Soon a dream shop will start with a pole barn 30 feet by 60 feet minimum.

I know David Marks has at least two bandsaws. One is a vintage delta 14 incher and the other looks like an American 30 incher. The 30 incher is setup for resawing and long neck projects where the deeper throat is handy. The delta remains one of his favorate old tools although I would rather have a canadian made general 490. Its heavier, better made and more precise.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.