Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector - Wifey says, "Just get it." (Questions)

Dust Collector - Wifey says, "Just get it." (Questions)

So, I was cutting a couple of MDF circles with my router today and although I wasn't doing alot, the fine dust made its way into our basement and some into the house. This gave the family a bit of a sneezing fit. When LOML complained, I told her I needed a dust collector to remedy that. She said, "Just do it."

So, that being said, I thought the Harbor Freight 2hp collector would be my choice based on the rave reviews on WoodNet and the price, of course. (I wouldn't consider the HF if it hadn't gotten such raves on WoodNet.)

My Question: - If I get it and buy replacement (better) bags, will this help with the fine dust? I've heard about dust collectors spreading very fine dust everywhere when run. Is there some way to remedy this?

My shop is separated from our main basement by a small window-like opening, which I will cover soon. But my shop is pretty small, so I'd like to see about locating the dust collector in the basement, near the opening and running DC pipe through it and into my shop.

With the DC in the basement, I have to be able to keep the DC from making its own mess in there.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

tj, if you plan on working in a shop attached to your living enviorment a cyclone of the pentz variety will probably be the most cost effective way to keep dust contained......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Thanks for your reply, Tod. But a cyclone appears out of reach for me.
    I just can't afford it. Although I understand the benefits, for the most part, I have to see if I can solve my problem for around $200, as best I can.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

TJ, I have the HF 2hp dust collector and it does a great job. I don't even notice much fine dust when it's running. I will check again today and see how it does. I hear spraying the inside of the bags with fabric softener before using them can cut down on fine dust even further (I didn't do that). For the money I don't think the HF dust collector can be beat. Make sure you print out the internet page and take it to the store because the in store price is ridiculous.

Jet does fine work

I have a 2 HP Jet dust collector that does a fine job. It is a fairly quiet, was not that expensive compared to a cyclone, and for a semi-novice like me, a perfect fit.

I know about the dust. But for me it is not what I create as much as what I bring with me back up the steps. I must look like Pig Pen from the Peanuts strip on some days, trailing a cloud of dust. Oh, well...
    Christ! Seven years of college, down the drain! John Belushi

The system you are looking at will work well as a chip collector and offer "reasonable" fine dust performance with the updated filter bags. However, not with your router. The hoods on a router are way too small to use with a dust collector, which depends upone large amounts of air to move chips and dust. A shop vac is still best for small tools like routers and sanders because they are designed to work with lower air volumns and high pressures...which is what you get with a small hose and small dust pickup. You may want to consider working your MDF outdoors for operations that you cannot adequately collect the dust...it's nasty stuff; very fine and quite "not nice" from a health perspective.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-05-2006 at 1:46 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. Mahaffey
    So, I was cutting a couple of MDF circles with my router today and although I wasn't doing alot, the fine dust made its way into our basement and some into the house. This gave the family a bit of a sneezing fit. When LOML complained, I told her I needed a dust collector to remedy that. She said, "Just do it."
    T.J. I don't know of any dust collector that will solve this problem. Using a router not mounted to a table/dust collection box is messy at best. MDF is particularly bad because the dust is more harmful and very fine. One item that might help is an overhead air filter; JDS, Jet or what ever. I have one and it does a surprising job of keeping the air free (or significantly cleaner) of dust. Also, some routers have dust collection attachments that can be hooked up to a shop vac. Good luck on your search for a DC. They're hard to buy - so many options!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

The air filtration that Byron mentions will help scrub the air of your shop of suspended fines, but not before you will have already breathed them in and not before a "bunch" of it already will have migrated into your attached home. Collection at the source is the only way to effectively control dust. BTW, you should always wear personal protection when working with materials like MDF, even if you have "good" dust collection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The air filtration that Byron mentions will help scrub the air of your shop of suspended fines, but not before you will have already breathed them in and not before a "bunch" of it already will have migrated into your attached home. Collection at the source is the only way to effectively control dust. BTW, you should always wear personal protection when working with materials like MDF, even if you have "good" dust collection.
    Jim,

Yes, I do. I have a fitted respirator that I use whenevery I work with MDF (not often) or are using my router.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

All,

So, let's say I started doing any and all MDF work outside.

Can you see any better option (aside from a cyclone) over the HF 2hp DC with a wynn canister conversion? (For around $200)
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

TJ I have a HF DC and have rebuilt it w a Winn Cannister kit (excellent), added a nuetral vane and purchased new bags. It ends up a credible DC for that price range. Cyclones are much better but at a diff price level . There is an expert on this forum, Brad Olsen for this type conversion. Send him a PM. G'Luck
    Jerry

I know I'm getting older and suffer from CRS. But, someone told me if you dump a pound of flour in your dust collector, the standard bags become more effective. Seems the flour makes the openings in the weave of the bags smaller. Someone help me out.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I know I'm getting older and suffer from CRS. But, someone told me if you dump a pound of flour in your dust collector, the standard bags become more effective. Seems the flour makes the openings in the weave of the bags smaller. Someone help me out.

Richard
    I haven't heard of the flour trick, but I did get an after-market bag from American Fabric Filter, and they have a tutorial on bags that explains the "dust cake" that forms on the inside of the bags, and provides the filtration for fine particles. See www.americanfabricfilter.com/SO%20YOU%20WANT%20A%201%20page%201.html Flour might be a way to get started.

If I had it to do over, I would skip the money spent on my 2 hp 2 bag collector, and the optional .3 micron bags, and the after market bag, and go directly to a cyclone. I couldn't bear to make the larger investment on dust collection, so I did it in several steps, and still don't have a cyclone.

Okay I dusted everything off and ran the dust collector while jointing some pine (already lots of fine dust in the bag) and everything in the shop had a very fine coating of dust afterward. However, that could be stuff I'm kicking up from the floor as well as stuff that's just in the air. I think the dust bags could be a little better on the HF dc but I still think it's a good buy. I couldn't imagine running this planer or jointer without it.

So... what's so bad about mdf dust?

The freud fence and a shop vac do a credible job of keeping dust from the router table to a minimum, that's the system I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward

So... what's so bad about mdf dust?

it`s plain nasty! really fine, taste terrible, smells bad and sticks to everything. other than that it`s not so bad .....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.