Thread: Ash for a wook bench?

Ash for a work bench?

I have decide that is time to build a real work bench. From everything I have read hard maple seens to be the wood of choice. The problem is hard maple is expensive in my area. I have found a source for ash at a very good price but wonder is there is any disadvantage using ash.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-26-2003 at 8:35 AM. Reason: corrected Subject spelling

Quote Originally Posted by John Davidson
    I have decide that is time to build a real work bench. From everything I have read hard maple seens to be the wood of choice. The problem is hard maple is expensive in my area. I have found a source for ash at a very good price but wonder is there is any disadvantage using ash.
    Ash is reasonably hard and would be quite durable. It is somewhat open-grained, however, so it will "dirty up" quite easily. As an alternative to a solid wood top, consider building your bench with that ash, but built the core of the top with a few layers of MDF and a renewable tempered hardboard "topper". It's easy to get an absolutely flat top that way with a lot of mass and low cost. I don't think I'd build a solid wood top for a bench anymore unless it was just for the "art" of the process...new techniques can produce a great workshop addition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go ahead and use ash

Hey John,

Go ahead and use the ash. It will dirty up a bit since it is open grain, but a real workbench is worth it. While most people build benches out of maple, some of the fancy european benches are out of beech. Ash is tough and can take abuse and is more aesthetically satisfying (for me anyway) than a big stack of MDF.
    Geoff in Oakland

John,

If you are really sold on maple, I could give you enough leftover maple flooring to build a bench top. My plan, when I actually get around to building one, is to use some of the leftover flooring to make a 5/8 thick layer over some 3/4 mdf or plywood. You aren't that far away in Easley so we could hook up somewhere. I come to Greenville frequently for supplies. I'd just be happy to move some out of my garage.

drewbee@bellsouth.net

Andy Halterman

Working on a second day in a row with no rain in Hendersonville, NC

Hey Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Halterman

drewbee@bellsouth.net

Andy Halterman

Working on a second day in a row with no rain in Hendersonville, NC
    Good to see you posting here at SMC! Where have you been hiding?
    Dave Anderson, SoCal - Work Safely!

Well, my hiding skills aren't as good as that other guy from further west in this state. :-)

I've been lurking some here and at WC. Very occasional posts. Lots to do as I made some personel changes (read: eliminations) with my flooring biz and I've been working on the house and yard a good bit. Still about just not as much.

I'll sell you some rain, real cheap. Got plenty to spare.

Andy Halterman

Nice to be missed in Hendersonville, NC

Hey Andy, I give you permission to come to Thibodaux to be MY neighbor!!!
    Lynn J. Sonier

Andy, thanks for the offer. I really have my heart set on a solid top so I think I am going to go with the ash. The price is right on the ash. I was just concerned that it would not be a good choice but I can handle it picking up a little dirt.

Thanks
    John