Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nordfab Ducting???

Nordfab Ducting???

I'm looking at doing all new ductwork for a commercial shop, and am considering switching to the Nordfab quick connect system. The initial price tag is jaw gapingly high, but it sure looks good for the long haul, with who knows what equipment layout changes on down the road. I am looking for feedback from anyone who uses it, or wishes they had used it, etc. Is it worth the investment?

Many thanks,
    JR

Duct work

J.R.

I installed a bunch of Nordfab in my shop last year. I do not regret it. It is by far the best I have ever used. It goes together nicely it seals nicely and as you know it is able to take on additions or subtractions with out any fuss. Yes, the price is high, I found a fellow in Western Penns. that had the best prices anywhere. It does not matter who you buy it from because it is all shipped out of N.C. to your door. If you would like the name and phone number of this company P.M me and I will round it up for you.

One more thing I have never had a clog in my system since I purchased the Nordfab. I used to spend a lot of time cleaning duct work before.

Regards,
    Ben

Nordfab and similar offer some really nice flexibility. You do have an alternative choice, too, in that you can integrate this system with standard metal duct work. Use the more expensive Nordfab or similar where it makes sense to do so and get a little economy by using standard products where you feel that the chance of change is much less. Some folks use the Nordfab for quick disconnect purposes with combo machines, too.

For example, let's say your shop would spec out to have a main duct run from point A to point B...say, down the length of the shop. Upon installation, put some extra laterals in the main (capped off and sealed and aimed horizontally so they don't collect material) so you can adjust drops at will over time using the quick connect/disconnect capablity of the Nordfab. In that way, you are not changing the "major" design of your duct work and can use standard spiral for the main since it's "permanent". You can easily add drops or take them away as your needs change over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Nordfab and similar offer some really nice flexibility.
    Is there really anything else similar? Is there another quick disconnect system? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webber
    Is there really anything else similar? Is there another quick disconnect system? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Griz has some quick assembly duct work as does PSI, if I recall. Both Oneida and Air Handling systems carry this stuff, although it may be the Nordfab...I don't have time to check right now.
    --

I use Nordfab from the blast gate downstream to the machine. I use other ductwork upstream to the cyclone. I have Nordfab terminators on all of my machines and flex hose. Since I use a European combination machine it's handy to have the flexability to change hose length for some operations as well as the needed flexability of changing to different machine ports. I was able to get away with lighter guage piping, elboes, and wyes, because my dust collector is fairly low power (Oneida 2HP commercial). If I was using a 7.5hp collector and above then I would have gone with heavier guage piping; at that point there isn't a great deal of price difference between Nordfab and other pipe choices.

Nordfab.......

Nordfab.....I installed it a few months ago.....I LOVE IT ! Heavy duty
    parts, very well designed, with the added bonus of the QR system; it costs a bit more--but worth it !

Phil

JR,
    In my opinion save your money and put it into something that makes your bottom line look better, like better designed/efficient machines. I bought my fittings through Oneida (even made a few here & there) and got most of my ductwork (26ga) from my local HVVAC supply house. I will not doubt that something like a Nordfab system provides some nice benefits, goes together nicely..... but will it make you more? Some things are not worth the expense so are, we all have to decide that for ourselves.

Bill my quick fittings were made in about the same time it about almost as long as it takes me to type this For my FS41 I install two short pieces of ductwork on the two dust hoods and they both have crimped ends. On the 5" hose drop IO installed a short piece of ductwork. All I do is slide the hose with small ductwork piece onto crimped end of dust hood...done! IMHO spend your money elsewhere.

That's what I'm struggling with - bottom line ROI - new Invicta shaper or Nordfab . . .

But my concern is that since this is my first run at laying out a production space this large, I might kick myself later if I make changes to machine locations. I've installed my own spiral duct in my smaller home shop, but seems like drilling out rivets, peeling caulk, and re-sealing things afterwards will be a hassle . . .
    JR

JR,
    WOW I really need to proof read my posts after typing them. I congratulate you if could even understand what I typed in!

IMHO get the shaper. It is far more important than the pipes that suck out the garbage The facts are, you are doing this to put food on your table. Do you think the dust/chips care what they are being transfered through? I have changed my DC system(s) so many times that it kind of becomes a necessary evil. I "think" I am finally at a point where I will stay the way I am for a long time. Unless I move the shop, machine wise I am done! Your shop does not have to look pretty just produce pretty work

Paul, in a commercial environment, I don't agree that the DC duct work is less important than the machinery. As John Scane in CA recently found out, even a one-man operation can get nailed with unexpected compliance things. I'm not advocating for Nordfab, just pointing out that that the OP clearly states this is for a commercial shop and he needs to weigh both the flexibility he may need with other things. Only he can make that determination, including checking with local authorities that may have jurisdiction on such things.
    --

What were the details on that compliance issue? Was it posted on the Creek somewhere? My quick take on NFPA issues was that if you are under 5000 CFM, then many (not all) municipalities are not too concerned with your setup...
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter
    What were the details on that compliance issue? Was it posted on the Creek somewhere? My quick take on NFPA issues was that if you are under 5000 CFM, then many (not all) municipalities are not too concerned with your setup...
    John's problems were not with dust collection, err...well, they were in a sense relative to his cyclone among other things. The local yokels wanted UL approval on ALL the machines and several, including his Oneida cyclone and Mini Max bandsaw didn't have it. I was just making a point that commercial operations have higher bars to leap when it comes to many things that are not worried about with hobbyist situations.

The thread in questions is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30204
    --

It's amazing what some places have in place for regulations. One of my equipment dealers said that one "upscale" Seattle suburb makes shops get EPA permit for each dust collector (including portables). They are trying to get rid of manufacturers in favor of retail/professional businesses...
    JR

Jim,
    I do not want to argue with you here but I am fully aware of codes and requirements in different applications, remember I do not only “hack up wood” for a living

As some of us already know or have heard about dust collection systems when installed in a large scale format or in a commercial environment can have some substantial & stringent requirements placed upon them. Things like use group (of the building), mixed use group, construction type, amount of storage of combustible materials, fire rated construction, explosion proof rooms, sprinklers…….. come into play. All of these items make it complicated and unique to each and every situation. You also have to add the size of and the CFM in the DC system itself.
    <O
    On top of all this then you have to add code “interpretations” at the local level. Codes are set up to provide the bare minimum or shall I say a base line. It is up to the Architect, Engineer or whomever to add to it to provide any necessary requirements he or she sees fit. The local code enforcement official then can interpret this info and apply his/her own set of criteria. They have the local jurisdiction and control of them. You can try to have their view over turned but it will take a lot of time and effort on ones parts, something that may not be warranted. In John Scane’s case he is forced to abide with a pretty tough call but he is at the mercy of that code official. He might be able to work with them but he has to make them happy none the less. I wish him the best.
    <O
    My opinions on JR’s situation were simply form the cost vs. value vs. like to eat scenario. One does not have to spend top dollar all the time in order to achieve satisfactory results. I would not have known the difference if I used Nordfab, American Air Products or whatever in my DC system. It is there to transport material and that is it. The cheapest I could spend to get the job done was my mode of operanda. I have changed my DC setup numerous times over the last two years and being able to cut, drill, tape … sheet metal is not a big issue to me. When I needed to change something I just did it but I did need to by some fittings from Oneida in order to save some time in installation. All of my ductwork I bought from the local HVAC supply house. What I have found also is that some larger shops have avoided the DC issues by installing multiple smaller DC’s to serve each machine directly. This theoretically eliminates some of the requirements of the larger systems but once again is open for a local interpretation.