Thread: New Router cabinet & Toys

New Router cabinet & Toys

I've always been happy with my router cabinets that have the Lee Valley steel table.....however I wanted to move into some crazy joinery and needed a router lift that allowed for micro adjustments. I also wanted to be able to change bits completely from the top.

After some research I opted for Woodpeckers quick lift, the price was right and it did everything I wanted on paper. I also purchased woodpecks router table offset top and installed a new Dewalt DW618, the Dewalt factory centre had smoking prices just before Christmas., I also bought their another Incra Pro II Ultra fence.

The base is made with Birch Plywood with Nogal trim, few things I wanted to change from the other set up's and shortly after taking these images I decided to add a pull out tray in the bottom shelf to make it more useful. I have seen this router cabinet on ebay and at a wood show, I made a few changes as I’m 6’ tall and like my tools around waste level, the original was too low, too narrow and not long enough for what I wanted.

The lift is simply amazing, with just a quarter of a turn with a wrench from the top the router is pulled up and bit changing is all from above the table. I also has a crank for micro adjust....more details can be found at at woodpeckers website.

Being the third router cabinet I have built I wanted to try something different for the DC hookup, I have found a port at the bottom of where the router is works good, in the back works good also however I wanted to try this time from the back side, it is perfect. I can now capture 99% of the
    dust generated and watching it through the door it doesn't stay in the air a long time like the other two set up's....In fact I routed for a few hours yesterday and there wasn’t even a speck of dust in the bottom….the top however is an issue. I know how it could be fixed but it would require cutting a second hole in the tabletop and a hole in the fence which I am not keen on doing….although I did it to the other set up’s I have.

Looks nifty Andy. The bottom looks like a cross between a Norm and the plan from one of the router books. I've got a Woodpeck lift and have been happy with it, as you obviously are.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    Looks nifty Andy. The bottom looks like a cross between a Norm and the plan from one of the router books. I've got a Woodpeck lift and have been happy with it, as you obviously are.
    Thanks for the comments. it's a take off based on two that I made in the past but had certain thing's I didn't care for, so with this one I took what I liked, looked around and saw a few other things I really liked and threw them into this project. I looked at Norm's a couple at wood shows and a few from the net to come up with it.

I used it for the first time on the weekend and am very pleased, there are a few things I will probably add over the next few weeks but I have to get back to what pays for these toys

Very nice Andy. Im envious of your setup. Route on...
    Jerry

Excellent work as usual, Andy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice table Andy! I expect that, sometime this year, I will be purchasing a Jessem router table top and making a cabinet for it. I have bookmarked you pictures and will, no doubt, be looking at them again when I design my table.