Thread: Coloring Purpleheart Using Acid

Coloring Purpleheart Using Acid

Since it seems to be improper (or illegal) to copy the article on coloring purpleheart using acid, I will try to paraphrase the article. To give credit where credit is due, this article appeared in the Spring 2004 edition of American Woodturner written by Bill Haskell.

Evidently, if smoothed and sanded purpleheart is treated with muriatic acid, the wood will turn a Cranbury color. To my mind, this is more of a red shade than a purple. So test the results on some scrap before committing your latest masterpiece!

The author suggests two procedures, fuming and wiping. The fumes of muriatic acid will rust steel tools. Also, be quite careful in handling any acid.

Working outdoors use a very small amount of acid to fume the piece. The acid should go into a small plastic container, which is placed inside a larger plastic lidded container containing the piece to be fumed. The color change should take place overnight.

Alternatively, you may wipe the piece with a sponge that has been dipped in the acid.

There where no instructions in the article about neutralizing the acid. By the way, muriatic acid and hydrochloric acid are the same. It can probably be found in swimming pool supply stores and places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Please be careful (use outdoors, wear gloves, eye protection) and let us know your results.

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pye
    Since it seems to be improper (or illegal) to copy the article on coloring purpleheart using acid, I will try to paraphrase the article. To give credit where credit is due, this article appeared in the Spring 2004 edition of American Woodturner written by Bill Haskell.

Evidently, if smoothed and sanded purpleheart is treated with muriatic acid, the wood will turn a Cranbury color. To my mind, this is more of a red shade than a purple. So test the results on some scrap before committing your latest masterpiece!

The author suggests two procedures, fuming and wiping. The fumes of muriatic acid will rust steel tools. Also, be quite careful in handling any acid.

Working outdoors use a very small amount of acid to fume the piece. The acid should go into a small plastic container, which is placed inside a larger plastic lidded container containing the piece to be fumed. The color change should take place overnight.

Alternatively, you may wipe the piece with a sponge that has been dipped in the acid.

There where no instructions in the article about neutralizing the acid. By the way, muriatic acid and hydrochloric acid are the same. It can probably be found in swimming pool supply stores and places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Please be careful (use outdoors, wear gloves, eye protection) and let us know your results.
    Harry,
    Muriatic Acid (HCl) is also commonly used for removing dried mortar on brick construction. Therefore, it should be available in any home improvement outlet. It is pretty powerful stuff so, as you said, be careful with it.

Baking Soda should neutralize it but don't bet your eyesight on my opinion! I was a "C" student in college chemistry!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the post.

I have some of the same, however I am concerned with the cranberry color. Not looking to change the Purple heart, rather trying to maintain its color, purple - would be satisfied with magenta some what.

I may give it a try though. Thanks again,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I made some pens from it back in my pen turning days.
    I found that putting them in the sun for a little while hepled move the oils to the top and made them dark like they was when I started.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

I gave some thought to this while I was sleeping. Maybe the fact that Muratic Acid is an acid is making the natural dyes bond to the wood like my chemist friend was saying...but also altering the color. This gives me hope that other, less volatile acids may also bond the dye but maybe not change the color. This is turning out to be a great subject! Thanks Harry!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

you can cranberry purpleheart with white vinegar.

Wipe on.

Much safer and simpler than muriatic acid.

Mike,

Do you do anything to neutralize the white vineger?

Do you know how long the cranberry color lasts?

I started the thread because someone in another thread was talking about purpleheart turning brown and then regaining it's color when placed in the sun. I mentioned this technique at that time but have never tried it.

Hydrogen peroxide also makes a nice cranberry color

Not sure of the chemistry here, but I experimented with hydrogen peroxide and got a cranberry color.