Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Box....

Walnut Box....

Well been awhile since I posted a project. This is a box of walnut with maple dowels. It is about 3 1/2 X 9 inches. This will be a Christmas present for my father-in-law this next year. I plan to turn a pen, pencil and letter opener set for him to put in it. I still need to line it with some velvet material that I have. Anyway, hope you like
    Thanks,
    Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice Corey, what kind of hinges did you use. FIL will now forgive you for marrying his daughter.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Corey,

I like it!

Did you use some dowels or metal pins for the "back hinge"?? Did you line them up and create the back hinge by drawing in the sides during glue up?

Nice job!

Thanks guys. I don't know Cecil, it will be 25 years in August, I have tried a couple times to give her back but he said no deal ... ouch, she read that!
    The hinges are brass pins ( 1/8 inch welding rod). Roy, basically I just carefully laid the box top out with the sides adjacent on each side and measured that way, measued the halfway line on the side of the top on each side and drilled away. they are not glued in, when you assembled the box the pins are trapped in it. You have to round over the back edge of the lid in order for the box lid to open and tilt back a bit. You can round over on a stationary belt sander like I did or run it thru a roundover bit on a router table. Either way will work. The dowels don't have anything to do with the hinges. All of this is laid out in both Doug Stowes and David Freidman books.
    Thanks for the kind words guys!
    Corey

Super lookin' box Corey!

Bruce

Corey my friend the box is beautiful. I am sure he will like it. I wondered how you did the hinges.

Corey I have been married 38 yrs. and my FIL told me no, no, no, no. I will not take her back. You wanted here she is yours.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Bruce & Bernie! Bernie, I don't know, I think we got keepers buddy! Who else would put up with us?
    Corey

Great looking box Corey, I really like the way the walnut took the finish. Are those Miller dowels you used in the assembly? Very nice looking piece. I helped my son build a cherry box for his girlfriend a couple years ago, and he bought the red velvet stuff to line it at our local Woodcraft. It was very easy to work with, and it looked very rich.
    Nice to see you putting that new workshop to such good use!
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 02-07-2006 at 5:56 AM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Really nice looking box w/great proportions. Walnut is one of my favorites and that top piece is a beauty, looks like it has some curl as well. What did you use for the finish?

Also, as a newbie, I'll play one of my rookie cards and ask that you DO NOT show it to my FIL or I'll have to try to make him one!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. Yes, those are the stepped Mini Miller Dowels, they work great. You can use as much of the dowell as you want to size it for the stock. The sides are 3/8 inch going into 1/2 on the front and back. I used about half the dowel. Yeah, I can get some cool looking fabrics and the local Hancock Frabric's store here, just down the street. I have some dark wine color that will look nice. Thanks again!
    Corey

Barry, the finish is a mix of BLO, Minwax Gloss Oil Ply and thinned with Mineral spirits. Basically a home made wipe on poly that many here use. You can thin it to suit yourself. Yeah, some stuff going on in the top and the sides but the top really lights up. Thank you for the kind words!
    Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 02-07-2006 at 12:27 AM.

12. Corey, a fine looking box. I like the clean lines and simplicity. The finish really popped the curl in that walnut. Nicely done. How about another picture when you line it?
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Hey Corey...Simply elegant and nice looking in a manly way. Great job.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Corey,

Great looking box and I'm sure the FIL is going to be proud to own it. I really like the way the finish came out and the design is just right for a guy

Good job Bud!

What can I say that has not been said already. I am struck by the beautiful yet simplistic of design. Your box shows the artistry of woodworking.
    Don