Thread: Delta 17-965 Drill Press Chuck Issues

Delta 17-965 Drill Press Chuck Issues

I was attempting to put together my new toy (delta 17-965 dp) last night. All was going well until I got to the part of attaching the chuck. I did that they said by opening the chuck up and then getting a board and tapping it up. I tried it a few times and it didn’t work so I got out the old 5lb hammer and a bigger block of wood. Well the only thing that got me was a piece of broken wood.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    I know that people here have the press did anyone else have this problem? If so how do y you attaché it? Maybe I missed something who knows.
    Last edited by Brian Parker; 02-07-2006 at 3:57 PM.

I think I used a ball peen hammer and a block of 2X4. It's been 2+ years and my mind is...well, somewhere around here. I don't remember having any problems, and would have just follower the owners manual's directions. Be sure you have cleaned both surfaces really well. If there is any shipping goo or foreign matter that could keep it from seating properly. Let us know what works. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Brian -

I have a Delta DP, not sure of the model (Benchtop). The instructions had me insert the chuck the same way. I had to make sure that I thoroughly wiped off the chuck prior to installation - if there was any of the coating they put on it for shipping, it would not attach. Once I cleaned it off, it went in fine. I did have some runout, but I re-installed the chuck and it is fine now.

-Ryan

Chuck to spindle

Do not know about yours, but my spindle has a nut to force the chuck off the spindle's Morris taper. If your spindle has this chuck removal nut, is it turned up and out of the way of the chuck?

I have the same model, had no problem. I also have a friend who just bought one four weeks ago and I helped him with his because he could not find his instruction manual (he found it later that day). We had no problem with it. Make sure you have all of the grease removed from it or it might slight back out again. I used a regular hammer and tapped it into place without any problem.

Brian, You must be one happy guy - Steeler fan and new proud owner of a Delta drill press. Mine has not shipped yet. What are your impressions of the unit so far except for the chuck problem? Just wondered as I could still cancel I think. It seemed like that the people that had reported on the 17-965 had good things to say about it.

Allen

Thanks to everyone who replied, I checked it and there was a little bit of residue which once i cleaned it off the chuck went right on. Gold stars all around.

On a side note I couldn't believe that delta included only 1/4" bolts to bolt that down to the plywood base. I went out and got some 1/2" x 5" ones and between those and the 1 1/2" of plywood (2 pieces of 3/4" glued up and stapled) this thing isnt going anywhere. In case anyone is looking for locking casters I got the polyethelene (sp) dual locking casters from Grizzly and when I lock them this thing acts like I lag screwed it to the concrete floor.

Allen,

I only had time to play with it for a few min so I tried a forsner, spade, auger and regular bits into some pieces of 4x4's that I had laying around. This press has some serious guts and preformed excellent.

Now if I can just get all of the faces cut for the kitchen cabinents that I am making so that I can start to drill for all of the pins

Not to get into the football too much but yes I am one happy camper, It wasn't the prettiest game but its still #5 and this is the happiest that I have ever seen Pittsburghers in Feb for as long as I have been alive (I'm 25).

If you have any other questions send me a msg and I'll be happy to help.

Brian

Thanks for the report. It is appreciated. Allen

Some chucks have a tendency to work loose during the drilling process. I have never tried it; but have seen it suggested that the chuck be placed in the freezer for an hour or so before being inserted into the spindle shaft. The theory being the taper will shrink just a hair when cold and seat further up in the spindle and wedge itself in the shaft more securely as it warms up.