Greetings to all my friends and neighbors at SMC.

I've been seeing some hints about the "Weekend Accomplishments" posts that I do each Monday morning and wondering "what is it all about?".
Well, here goes nuttin'.......

A long time ago, there was a woodworking forum called "Badger Pond". All of us on Badger Pond called ourselve "Ponders". Badger Pond was an experiment belonging to Mr. Wayne Miller, who used to be a forum moderator on Compuserve years ago in the Crafts/Woodworking section of Compuserve. Without getting too much into details here, I'll simply stick to a quick summary of history.

Badger Pond was around for several years and was well known for being a highly moderated, but yet friendly place to share and learn all about Woodworking. Each Thursday or Friday, I'd see people posting about plans for woodworking for the up and coming weekend. The idea hit me to see if other people were like me.....making plans for woodworking over the weekend but never really getting "around to it" for one reason or another. So-o-o-o, I started YEARS ago, posting on Monday mornings the "Weekend Accomplishments".

The Weekend Accomplishments proved to be a very good tool for bringing people together more closely than the usual "Hi how ya doin', kinda thing", and invited folks to step in the water just a tad-bit deeper to share a little more about themselves and if they got any woodworking done over the weekend or not. Many didn't get to do much woodworking, while others cranked it out over the weekend, while the remainder of folks simply got to work on the "honey do" list.

This began to be a fun post for many, as it was a time to post what you "thought" you'd get to do over the weekend verses what you "got to do" over the weekend as it either directly related to woodworking or not. A little "share" time as it were then and still is today. We all learn a little more about each other as each Weekend Accomlishments is posted and we have a friendly opportunity to share a little more about our selves and our hopes for shop time over the weekend.

For a while Mr. Bob Lasley, no longer on any WW forum, used to post on Friday's as a complimentary post to the Weekend Accomplishments the "Weekend Doins"....to post what you have planned to do over the weekend. Everyone got to see in the Weekend Accomplishments if you got to do what you had planned to do or not. Some were really funny, while others showed real planning and goal oriented weekends.

You learn about "people" this way. It helps to develop camaraderie, opens lines of communications for those that are shy, draws people together in general, and allows each of us to share each others lives to a point without getting overly involved.

Look at all the "friendships" that have developed because of the itty-bitty Weekend Accomplishments, the stir of people wanting to get together via a local BBQ, travel and meeting a various woodworking shows. Either directly or indirectly, the Weekend Accomplishments has had some kind of venue that helped to tie people and fellow woodworkers together in a non-threatening manner and in neutral territory.

So today? The Weekend Accomplishments lives on. Badger Pond shutdown, and Keith, Jackie, and Aaron started up SMC, and the Weekend Accomplishments moved from the Badger Pond to SMC.

So com'on.......let's get onboard with the Weekend Accomplishments.!!!!

It's all about: Family, Friends, Neighbors, and Buddies.....all sharing things about their lives and about our favorite hobby: Woodworking